Bot curiousities (beginner vs. intermediate)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keites

12-13-2011

I actually wish there were harder bots. Probably the way to make an intermediate match hard is to give them Soraka or Annie on a team. Trundle bot can also cause problems sometimes but in all honesty bots aren't as challenging as I would like.

Sure they cheat. Their items are given to them on a timer. But given their intelligence they wouldn't get items if they had left them alone.
Bots can be good for learning builds and that might be about it.

Usually bots don't act like the type of players you'd play against. They're synced so when one hits you they all hit you at the same time. Also they auto target the character with the lowest HP or defense, which not all players do.

I guess in closing bots have weird tricks but they need them to be any decent and I wish there'd be a harder bot setting.

Also if you're still playing against bots just go PvP. I was scared at first too and then I realized that not that many players were actually good enough to be scary at those low levels. It helps you learn the different champion types too since there are only so many champions to fight in bot matches.

acecow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

@Keites - They actually do have difficult bots that they've used for testing, just wish they'd release them.

Anyway, @OP - best way to beat bots? Outfarm them. Aim for a minimum of 100 minion kills by the 20 minute mark. If you've seen any pros play or just people that are higher ELO the best advice that they will give you is farm farm farm farm

Icarus Penna

12-13-2011

This is just my personal opinion, I always believe that you should do PvP from level 1. After tutorial, you should go straight to PvP. You might lost a lot, people might rage, but it's part of learning new game. Beside people are more forgiving when you do stupid mistake lower levels, comparing to doing stupid mistake when you're level 30.

Playing against bot for a long period doesn't bring positive impact in long term.

Simsmi

12-14-2011

It sounds to me like you really just need to learn last-hitting. It really is one of the most important skills in the game. Last hit, get gold, get items, dominate.

Virux

12-14-2011

When I was a youngin', there was no co-op bot mode.

legitimatealex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-16-2011

I'm going to chime in here and suggest playing PvP matches one after another if you want to actually get better at the game. I'm level twenty now with about 60 or 70 wins and I wish I had more PvP matches under my belt. I played a ton of bot matches because I was getting tired of teammates who didn't care about the match, trolled or were just plain abusive, and after we inevitably lost the game I needed a pick me up which would turn into me dominating a bunch of bots.

It might feel good to be dominating a game but if you're only dominating bots, when you do go up against real people you are going to get rocked because you don't have any real experience. I go crazy in a bot match because I can predict literally every single move the bots are going to do. Working with my team against real humans is completely different. Different play styles, different strategies.

Trust me, you want to PvP as much as you can.

Wheresthebutter

12-16-2011

Bots also have map hacks on, so if you're hiding in a Bush...be careful :(

ToiletteOfDoom

07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiBelgarath View Post
Lets try and be civil here- I remember back in the day when intermediate bots were crazy, and I thought Ryze must be the most over powered character in the game.

In intermediate, bots, there are a few differences in the play you can adopt. In the beginner bots, they literally will walk down their lane until either they die or they get extremely low health. They will completely ignore the fact that your turret is hitting them and if they eventually do hit low health they will return to random points on the map to back, often times those random spots are in the route of your turret so literally by hitting them once as they walk past you can kill them. They will never ever gank, their itemization is completely weird (ie Ashe building a Manamune), so basically as long as you attack them you will usually get some kills eventually, and your build (provided it makes sense) will result in your damage outscaling theirs in the long run.

Intermediate bots are a whole different can of beans. They are relatively more smart- occasionally you can bait them under a turret, but it takes some time and effort (and skill, though I hesitate to add that). They WILL gank, but they won't counter ward or use oracles- you can practice basic warding of lanes and see their movements, they also are unlikely to sit in bushes- they will probably just charge in. Their itemizations actually make some small degree of sense in that they build tank- all the characters will build a few damage items (Ashe might build Infinity Edge, Annie might build Void Staff) but they will mostly choose to build tanky items (I think they all build Banshee's, at least a few build Aegis of the Legion, etc). This makes them relatively more difficult to kill. You are going to actually have to prioritize targets here. You also actually have to build for damage- random builds that vaguely support your champions but have no real significance are not really going to be good enough for a beginner (yes, I realize more experienced players can destroy intermediate bots with AD Annie, that's not what this is about). In a way, Intermediate bots is your first experience with some of the basic LoL strategies: ganking and itemization. This is a good place to learn how to actually team fight to some degree, how to place wards, and how to build your champion.

In general, bear in mind that while intermediate bots are a nice play to gain some very basic skills, nothing can substitute for normal games. I made the mistake of playing predominantly bot games from lvl 1-20, and I had to learn how to play normal games really fast, because the people in level 20 were more used to playing PvP and so I had to learn to play against people higher than my own skill. Honestly, the only time you really need to play PvE is when you're trying out a new champion- the rest of the time, my advice is make some friends in the game and learn how to play with them, and then venture out on your own. PvE is a highly overrated learning technique, imho. The only way to develop good habits, experience, and skill is to play a lot of PvP games.

The intermediate bots i went up against jungle, gank, and team fight. Hell they even abandoned an entire lane to push through top. Further more on their item build...

Cassiopeia
homeguard boots of speed
seekers armguard
void staff
liandrys torment
rylais crystal scepter
rabadon deathcap

that gives her 340 ability power...not as simple as "bunch of tanky items" that was only one of them. So either their ai has improved or youre way off base. They dive for the kill, press early, team fight, and counter gank.