Bot curiousities (beginner vs. intermediate)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nin10doadict

12-08-2011

I have noticed that on beginner difficulty the bots are very easy to defeat. They do stupid things frequently, and never get much gold. This is perfectly acceptable; it's supposed to be easy. However, intermediate difficulty is another story entirely. Compared to the beginner bots, they gain gold about ten times as quickly, allowing them to build for very heavy damage and bulk very quickly. Couple it with the fact that they also behave more intellegently, and there is a serious difficulty issue.
I personally think it is far too much of a step up from beginner. I would like to see one of a few things happen.
1. Someone give me some tips on how to get built up faster. By about 20:00 I might have 6k or so gold. The bots will have about 10k.
2. Make a difficulty that is in between beginner and intermediate.
3. At the very least, you could call the difficulty setting "Difficult" instead of "Intermediate". It would make me feel better about losing continuously to it.

Eotw

12-08-2011

The bots on intermediate are a joke to anyone who's level 30. I can only imagine how bad the beginner bots are.

They have no sense of positioning, so you can literally lead them to ALMOST in range of the tower, then hammer them as they run away. Repeat until they start jumping lanes constantly.

Once you all get to level 12 or so, just 5 group push mid until you win. The bots will run into you and die frequently, and not do anything remotely intelligent to counter it.

Oh, one last thing. The bots are horrible cheaters. They get tons of free gold over time. You just have to deal with this and destroy them. For the most part, they start running away without doing anything else when they get too deep.

SpIitbone

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nin10doadict View Post
I have noticed that on beginner difficulty the bots are very easy to defeat. They do stupid things frequently, and never get much gold. This is perfectly acceptable; it's supposed to be easy. However, intermediate difficulty is another story entirely. Compared to the beginner bots, they gain gold about ten times as quickly, allowing them to build for very heavy damage and bulk very quickly. Couple it with the fact that they also behave more intellegently, and there is a serious difficulty issue.
I personally think it is far too much of a step up from beginner. I would like to see one of a few things happen.
1. Someone give me some tips on how to get built up faster. By about 20:00 I might have 6k or so gold. The bots will have about 10k.
2. Make a difficulty that is in between beginner and intermediate.
3. At the very least, you could call the difficulty setting "Difficult" instead of "Intermediate". It would make me feel better about losing continuously to it.
Obviously you suck because intermediate is pretty much begginer to most people

Eotw

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpIitbone View Post
Obviously you suck because intermediate is pretty much begginer to most people
And you're a jerk who should be banned. How do you like that?

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2011

Lets try and be civil here- I remember back in the day when intermediate bots were crazy, and I thought Ryze must be the most over powered character in the game.

In intermediate, bots, there are a few differences in the play you can adopt. In the beginner bots, they literally will walk down their lane until either they die or they get extremely low health. They will completely ignore the fact that your turret is hitting them and if they eventually do hit low health they will return to random points on the map to back, often times those random spots are in the route of your turret so literally by hitting them once as they walk past you can kill them. They will never ever gank, their itemization is completely weird (ie Ashe building a Manamune), so basically as long as you attack them you will usually get some kills eventually, and your build (provided it makes sense) will result in your damage outscaling theirs in the long run.

Intermediate bots are a whole different can of beans. They are relatively more smart- occasionally you can bait them under a turret, but it takes some time and effort (and skill, though I hesitate to add that). They WILL gank, but they won't counter ward or use oracles- you can practice basic warding of lanes and see their movements, they also are unlikely to sit in bushes- they will probably just charge in. Their itemizations actually make some small degree of sense in that they build tank- all the characters will build a few damage items (Ashe might build Infinity Edge, Annie might build Void Staff) but they will mostly choose to build tanky items (I think they all build Banshee's, at least a few build Aegis of the Legion, etc). This makes them relatively more difficult to kill. You are going to actually have to prioritize targets here. You also actually have to build for damage- random builds that vaguely support your champions but have no real significance are not really going to be good enough for a beginner (yes, I realize more experienced players can destroy intermediate bots with AD Annie, that's not what this is about). In a way, Intermediate bots is your first experience with some of the basic LoL strategies: ganking and itemization. This is a good place to learn how to actually team fight to some degree, how to place wards, and how to build your champion.

In general, bear in mind that while intermediate bots are a nice play to gain some very basic skills, nothing can substitute for normal games. I made the mistake of playing predominantly bot games from lvl 1-20, and I had to learn how to play normal games really fast, because the people in level 20 were more used to playing PvP and so I had to learn to play against people higher than my own skill. Honestly, the only time you really need to play PvE is when you're trying out a new champion- the rest of the time, my advice is make some friends in the game and learn how to play with them, and then venture out on your own. PvE is a highly overrated learning technique, imho. The only way to develop good habits, experience, and skill is to play a lot of PvP games.

zzadist

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiBelgarath View Post
Lets try and be civil here- I remember back in the day when intermediate bots were crazy, and I thought Ryze must be the most over powered character in the game.

In intermediate, bots, there are a few differences in the play you can adopt. In the beginner bots, they literally will walk down their lane until either they die or they get extremely low health. They will completely ignore the fact that your turret is hitting them and if they eventually do hit low health they will return to random points on the map to back, often times those random spots are in the route of your turret so literally by hitting them once as they walk past you can kill them. They will never ever gank, their itemization is completely weird (ie Ashe building a Manamune), so basically as long as you attack them you will usually get some kills eventually, and your build (provided it makes sense) will result in your damage outscaling theirs in the long run.

Intermediate bots are a whole different can of beans. They are relatively more smart- occasionally you can bait them under a turret, but it takes some time and effort (and skill, though I hesitate to add that). They WILL gank, but they won't counter ward or use oracles- you can practice basic warding of lanes and see their movements, they also are unlikely to sit in bushes- they will probably just charge in. Their itemizations actually make some small degree of sense in that they build tank- all the characters will build a few damage items (Ashe might build Infinity Edge, Annie might build Void Staff) but they will mostly choose to build tanky items (I think they all build Banshee's, at least a few build Aegis of the Legion, etc). This makes them relatively more difficult to kill. You are going to actually have to prioritize targets here. You also actually have to build for damage- random builds that vaguely support your champions but have no real significance are not really going to be good enough for a beginner (yes, I realize more experienced players can destroy intermediate bots with AD Annie, that's not what this is about). In a way, Intermediate bots is your first experience with some of the basic LoL strategies: ganking and itemization. This is a good place to learn how to actually team fight to some degree, how to place wards, and how to build your champion.

In general, bear in mind that while intermediate bots are a nice play to gain some very basic skills, nothing can substitute for normal games. I made the mistake of playing predominantly bot games from lvl 1-20, and I had to learn how to play normal games really fast, because the people in level 20 were more used to playing PvP and so I had to learn to play against people higher than my own skill. Honestly, the only time you really need to play PvE is when you're trying out a new champion- the rest of the time, my advice is make some friends in the game and learn how to play with them, and then venture out on your own. PvE is a highly overrated learning technique, imho. The only way to develop good habits, experience, and skill is to play a lot of PvP games.

I use beginner for when I first get a new champion. To get used to their abilities. To experiment with different items. Then once I'm doing 15/0/xx or higher and feel comfortable. I move to intermediate to actually begin testing builds. Seeing how things fit to my playstyle. Once I'm 20/0/xx there with the champion. I tend to move to regular pvp games.

Usually is a pretty decent system for me to get my hands dirty. Have some fun. Help some newer players. And learn some new champions.

ledurpadurp

12-09-2011

Dont forget about practicing in dominion. There ar.e a wide variety of champions there and you get real experience at a faster rate than bot games. You are guaranteed gold in dominion so its also great to test builds.

Cellerto

12-09-2011

Not sure what level you are, but when I first started playing and went from beginner to int, I too was like WTF? Now its so easy, its laughable. If you are really low level, they have a big early advantage with mastery/rune points. So you need to be careful till you get some items.

The thing to remember about the bots is

A) They cheat like mad, which allows them to essentially ignore farm since they get free gold.
B) They are ultra aggressive early, so use that to your advantage and set them up for easy kills. Just remember they can be dangerous early if you do something dumb.
C) They are very predictable. You don't have to worry about any sort of trickery, or early ganks, and they play the same way pretty much every game. Their lane comps are relatively fixed as well. Once you know the lane comps, you can really abuse them.

Really the best way to get better vs bots, and better in general is to just play PvP. Its more fun, and playing vs bots will not make you a better player, and actually teaches some bad habits if you ever do want to play PVP.

nin10doadict

12-09-2011

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll try to improve. Who knows, I might actually start appearing in the PvP environment sooner than I initially thought.

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

If you want, man, add me in-game and I'll play a bot match with you. I find that playing alongside players better than yourself does a lot more for your abilities than playing against equally-skilled people and, while I'm not exactly "good", I am at least experienced.