Why do you need a tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

divsky

12-09-2011

I play lots of ranked games and it's very common to see the last person at champ selection and the entire team telling them they need to pick a tank. I'm not saying tanks are bad, most of them have great CC skills, team buffs, or support skills. And it's nice to have some beefier champs to go into team fights in front of the squishies. I just don't see why teams need to have a dedicated tank, and it seems to me that some of these people are still living with an MMORPG mentality of how a team should be arranged. There's no such thing as aggro in LoL, and there's nothing forcing the enemy champs to focus their DPS on the tank in a team fight (okay there are a couple of taunts, but those are few and far between and not something a tank can keep up all the time).

Maybe there's something I'm missing though, so that's why I ask. Do teams need a dedicated tank, and if so, why?

knormanx

12-09-2011

the term "tank" in League is a bit more undefined compared to other games since there are only like 4 champs out of nearly 90 with a taunt. I''ve been thinking out this lately too. I'd say a team doesnt need a tank per say, but someone has to be the initiator, AND be able to come out alive. So many games i've lost because we havd no one on the team capable of initiating so the enemy team gradually pushed us back.

atsmith893

12-09-2011

The longer a game goes on the more obvious a teams weakness becomes without a "tank."

Tanks need to not only be able to soak up damage, but disrupt the opponents. Sometimes thats tauning opponents, but often times it comes down to keeping tanky dps off your carry, or forcing the opponents carry out of the fight.

Tank is simply a term given to damage soakers with disrupting abilities. Initiating abilities is nice, but not always necessary...

breadbocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

You need someone to take the enemy carry's hits while yours whale on them.

Kathorr

12-09-2011

tank is the term everyone uses, but i like to think of it as you need a beefy guy to step in first or even better to stop them from pushing you around. lots of characters are beefy,

AMonkeyCourier

12-09-2011

Basically, there are no good instant initiators in LoL like Enigma or Earthshaker from DotA so you need ridiculously hard to kill guys with CC to do the job. Closest things LoL has are Galio and Amumu and they're nowhere near as devastating as DotA's initiators.

captin rice

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
You need someone to take the enemy carry's hits while yours whale on them.
I agree with you as majority of the time I end up playing as the tank. A tank is someone that I find is very useful in the terms of soaking up the eniter damage output of the other team while your team takes little to no damage and picks them off one by one. Also a tank can take their squishy fed or carry from the rest of them and then they get destroyed. This elkiminates the damage output of the other team. But a tank against an entirely aggresive team usually is not great late game due to thier limited damage output. Preferably bruisers are a much better choice since they can take damage and deal damage, but a pure bred tank can make a win much harder for the opposite team.

Cenerae

12-09-2011

People think it's like World of Warcraft where you require a tank to 'pull aggro' for the squishies. Except in LoL this doesn't happen. Taunting is just another form of CC.

You do need champs that are capable of taking some hits, but they don't have to be dedicated tanks. Bruisers work fine for this. What you DO need, is someone that can initiate fights, and enough CC spread around the team to make it all work. The best way to 'draw aggro' in this game is to be a threat, and you'll find that a tanky dps is a lot more threatening than a Rammus. Nobody's gonna focus fire a Rammus in teamfights outside of his taunts. Nobody's gonna focus fire a Leona when there's squishies around. Etc. They have to compensate for this by being disruptive instead of threatening.

LateNightSalami

12-09-2011

Initiation, disruption, peeling and zoning in the team phase are all things that tanks are supposed to do. This requires particular skill sets and general beefiness. A tank is an undesireable target due to resistances and health so the enemy team wont want to wadte their dps on him or her. This enables the tank to advance on ground where a squishy damage dealer would not be able to go, hence, zoning in team fights. The threat come from the cc the tank has, if you get too close you get initiated on and blown up by the rest of the team following. Another good use for the tank draw turret aggro when sieging turrets, you can go in and disrupt the defenders while your team downs the turret. To out it simply you need someone who can position themselves in danger and still be able to come out alive. Hence you need a tank.

FaerellG

12-09-2011

You don't "NEED" a tank. What you need (as Salami pointed out) is the combination of Initiation, Disruption, Peeling and Zone Control.

Every champion offers some degree of this, but good tanks offer a bunch of this.