[Guide] Strange but Effective Akali Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jailbroken

07-07-2010

Hello everyone,

I've documented my own personal Akali build for the world to see. It's a strange build and most people will probably flame me for even suggesting it, but what's surprising is that it's probably one of the best Akali builds out there.

I've been playing as Akali since she was released and I already have over 1000 kills with her. I've tried several different AP builds but none of them have come even close to being as beast as this one.

Please provide commentary and let me know what you think. I know some of you will disagree with my build, but with all due respect I'm not here to take suggestions. So please keep any flaming, trolling, or bashing of my build to yourself if possible. If you like my build, feel free to use it, otherwise simply disregard it.

Thanks for reading everyone! Long live League of Legends!

Summary
Most Akali builds focus on Ability Power (AP). This guide, however, focuses on attributes of Akali not normally considered. The build for Akali outlined by this guide focuses on Attack Damage (AD), movement speed, attack speed, and life steal / spell vamp. Note that AP isnít completely ignored, but it also isnít the main focus of this item build.

One of Akaliís greatest weaknesses when going AP, in my opinion, is how helpless she is between cooldowns of her Q spell. With this build, your Q will do tremendous damage, however you will have auto-attack benefits that you normally wouldnít have. Your normal hits will do massive amounts of damage.

Runes
Seals: Dodge [Tier 3]
Marks: Armor Penetration [Tier 3]
Glyphs: Flat Magic Resist [Tier 3]
Quintessences: Flat Health [Tier 3]

Summoner Spells
My summoner spells of choice:

• Exhaust
    Good for slowing down a target during a chase. Also good as a defensive tool during a 1v1 to blind a melee champ so they cannot do damage to you.
  • Flash
    Essential for get-aways. Since the ultimate objective of this build is to survive (to maintain stacks) you need to be able to escape quickly. Be sure to use this in combination with your Shroud (W).

Skills & Points
I always prioritize points for my spells like so: R > Q > E > W

Basically, always put points into R first. Second, make sure to always put points into Q when you canít put them into R, etc. We want to max out Q first (after R, of course), then E, and finally put the rest of our points into W.

Your skill usage order during a fight should always be Q > [Auto Attack] > E > Q.

Between E and Q usage, you may be auto attacking until your cool down for Q is up. Also be sure to R whenever they get far away from you so that you may continue the sequence. Later on in the game you will have items that slow down your enemies so you wonít have to use R so much once you get started on them.

Items
First, the item build (purchase in order):
  1. Long Sword + 1x Health Potion (start of the game)
  2. Sword of the Occult (uses Long Sword)
  3. Boots of Mobility
  4. Guinsooís Rageblade
  5. Trinity Force
  6. The Bloodthirster
  7. Starkís Fervor

When you start the game, grab a Long Sword and 1x Health Potion. Later on the Long Sword will become your Sword of the Occult. Staring out with a Long Sword activates Akaliís Discipline of Force, which definitely helps with survivability in the lane.

Try to stay in your lane until you get around 1000 gold. At that point you should have hit level 6 already, which is where you really start to become useful. Teleport back to base and buy the Sword of the Occult. If you can afford it, purchase the Boots of Speed as well, otherwise just get them later.

When you get to the point where you can purchase the Boots of Mobility, thatís when you really start moving quickly. Personally the movement speed fits my play style because I like to swap lanes a lot depending on what the enemy team is doing (e.g. to defend towers). Itís also great for chasing down enemies and setting up for ganks. At this point you should have 447 movement speed.

Before Guinsooís Rageblade, you would have already been doing decent damage, especially if you have a lot of stacks from your Sword of the Occult. However, once you get the Rageblade you will be tearing through towers and farming like nothing. Also with the Rageblade you can start farming creeps in the forest. You can get tons of buffs, gold, and experience by doing this and you will kill everything quickly. I normally clear out one whole side of the forest (the side the dragon is on) and take out the dragon last. I teleport back to base, heal, buy more items if I can, then go back to my lane.

I start building my Trinity Force by first grabbing a Sheen, and then I buy the Phage. At this point you only have 1 open item slot left, so donít buy anything else until you can purchase the Trinity Force entirely (This will free up more slots). With the Trinity Force completed, you will have 12% movement speed, which will increase your movement speed to around 484 (I donít remember the exact number).

By the time I get started on The Bloodthirster, the game is usually already over. However, if it still continues on, this will give you even more Attack Damage and also some life steal.

I want to point out that the last item I have listed, Starkís Fervor, could be anything you want. I normally get this item though. Itís a good last item to buy before the game ends. If you even finish this item youíre probably over 60 minutes into the game.

Play Style
The main focus of this build, especially early game, is to gain stacks using your Sword of the Occult. Once you have 20 stacks you will have a ridiculous bonus to your Attack Damage and also a very beneficial 15% additional movement speed. Once you have your Trinity Force and 20 stacks, you will easily have over 500 movement speed (I recall having somewhere around 524).

Obviously the key is to stay alive and avoid dying as much as possible. Donít suicide, tower dive, or any other reckless acts, especially early game (pre level 6). It can be really tempting to tower dive to kill that champ with only 1 or 2 ticks of health left, but you must resist! Once you get enough stacks from your Sword of the Occult, you will be taking out towers in just a few hits and clearing huge waves of minions with just 1 cast of your E spell.

Donít run into huge groups of enemies by yourself. You can certainly gank maybe 1 or 2 at a time, but for 3+ groups of champs make sure you stay with your team mates. Wait until your team chips down their health enough that they start to back off, then you jump in and wipe them all out.

If you're in a pre-made 5v5 (i.e. most of your team you are familiar with and they understand team work), Akali plays more of an offensive-support roll. Your team normally charges into an enemy group, and you follow behind. You Shadow Dance (R) towards an enemy target near the back and kill them quickly. For example, if I'm playing against Twitch I wait until he comes out of stealth (normally in the back of the enemy group behind his team mates), Shadow Dance towards him, kill him, and move for the next DPS/Squishy character. However, be careful with this strategy as if your team is not coordinated they will charge in, you'll follow, they run away, and you get killed by 5 enemy champions. You have to know your team in order to know how you will go about handling group fights as a support character.

Doctor Awesome

07-07-2010

I can't imagine that many people will want to open the Google Doc. Why can't you just copy/paste the text in your post?

Jailbroken

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Awesome View Post
I can't imagine that many people will want to open the Google Doc. Why can't you just copy/paste the text in your post?
Done. I just hate BBCode, which is why I was using Google Docs.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2010

My primary comment is that your guide advocates a playstyle which puts your team at a disadvantage in most compositions. Forcing your team to go 4v5 until they've already got the enemy on the ropes is counterproductive. Akali is potent when it comes to cleaning up after team fights and in finishing off opponents, but her best and primary function in a team fight is to dive in shortly after engagement and wipe out/pressure the enemy carry, highest damage dealer or best target of opportunity.

Jailbroken

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
My primary comment is that your guide advocates a playstyle which puts your team at a disadvantage in most compositions. Forcing your team to go 4v5 until they've already got the enemy on the ropes is counterproductive. Akali is potent when it comes to cleaning up after team fights and in finishing off opponents, but her best and primary function in a team fight is to dive in shortly after engagement and wipe out/pressure the enemy carry, highest damage dealer or best target of opportunity.
This is true, and normally I do exactly this, however it isn't practical do to so. Most games I play, unfortunately, I'm stuck with team mates that have no concept of team work. Usually I jump in right as I think they are charging in only to find that they run away and I have 5 champs kill me instantly. It's a risky situation and I wouldn't recommend that to any folks NOT in a pre-made 5v5 game.

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2010

In those types of circumstances that makes more sense. I've definitely experienced the "guys? hey guys?" moments in normal games.

Jailbroken

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
In those types of circumstances that makes more sense. I've definitely experienced the "guys? hey guys?" moments in normal games.
I've added your suggestion to my guide, as well as precautions that go with it. Thanks for your comments.

Zodiacshape

07-07-2010

The only problem I have with it is sword of the occult. I really hate snowball items and they become less useful with more skilled players. Do you have anything to replace the snowball item with instead?

I was thinking maybe rush a Sheen first cause the damage it gives is ridiculous. I have my Akali AP build in a comfortable spot for me and it gives me insane burst damage with decent survivability.

Jailbroken

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacshape View Post
The only problem I have with it is sword of the occult. I really hate snowball items and they become less useful with more skilled players. Do you have anything to replace the snowball item with instead?

I was thinking maybe rush a Sheen first cause the damage it gives is ridiculous. I have my Akali AP build in a comfortable spot for me and it gives me insane burst damage with decent survivability.
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you hate snowball items, however I disagree with you that they become less useful with more skilled players. I think that snowball items always add a certain amount of value to your build. It is merely a supplement to your skills. As a matter of fact, I'd even argue that snowball items add more value to a skilled player than an inexperienced one. More skilled players are able to survive longer, and thus maintain stacks better. More stacks means more buffs.

At 20 stacks you get a whopping 100 additional attack damage PLUS 15% movement speed. 2 stacks for a kill and 1 for an assist. This is probably one of the most easily maintainable snowball items in the game. 95% of my games, I'm able to get 10-14 stacks pretty early on. The sword of the occult is an essential part of this build and I couldn't recommend a better item for you. I can only encourage you to try it in a few practice games to see for yourself if my particular build is right for you.

Naramiel

Recruiter

07-07-2010

Snowball items are much less useful when playing against skilled players, which is presumably what he means. At low ELOs, they're great.