Vote to kick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

12-09-2011
12 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazen247 View Post
Lets focus on solutions, not hypothetical math problems of troll probability in any given game. Riot, you have a lot of good ideas, come up with some for the issue OP is describing please and give us something to look forward to. I liked the idea of a remake, that sounds like it has a very low chance of abuse and can place an intermediate band-aid on a long term problem.
Riot has a lot of good ideas, and we have very smart people working on ideas (of preventing trolls, leaver, etc). There are often times I can't talk about what we are working on for various of reasons. That's why you often see me telling people what will not work instead of telling people what will work.

IS1f48700f529fbcca97996

12-09-2011

Oh, I thought you were just being cheeky.

Wolfie Night

12-09-2011

I think the whole kicking system is bad. Sure it makes sense if you have a troll, but then people could abuse the kick voting. What if you have a player who is learning? It doesn't feel good to know your team is trying to kick you off. Personal experience: I tried HoN and was kinda irked that in my first few games the players kept trying to kick me off. Was I trolling? No, I was learning. After those experiences I dropped HoN entirely.
If you have higher level players teaching friends how to play, not having the kicking system makes more sense. In LoL the system seems to average the players level difference, ex: 1 Level 30 and 1 level 5 are paired- the other players will be within 10-20 level range. So the hypothetical level 5 player will most likely be told he/she sucks already discouraging the player. But then if the team were to continuously try to kick the level 5 player off? Thats worse.
Also you would have to take into the consideration that some people will continuously try to kick people off throughout a game. I mean kinda spam it. Even with a timer on how often you can take a vote, its still annoying at best.
My last point is that installing a kick voting system in LoL is just going to give trolls another tool to troll with.

Xnot

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie Night View Post
I think the whole kicking system is bad. Sure it makes sense if you have a troll, but then people could abuse the kick voting. What if you have a player who is learning? It doesn't feel good to know your team is trying to kick you off. Personal experience: I tried HoN and was kinda irked that in my first few games the players kept trying to kick me off. Was I trolling? No, I was learning. After those experiences I dropped HoN entirely.
If you have higher level players teaching friends how to play, not having the kicking system makes more sense. In LoL the system seems to average the players level difference, ex: 1 Level 30 and 1 level 5 are paired- the other players will be within 10-20 level range. So the hypothetical level 5 player will most likely be told he/she sucks already discouraging the player. But then if the team were to continuously try to kick the level 5 player off? Thats worse.
Also you would have to take into the consideration that some people will continuously try to kick people off throughout a game. I mean kinda spam it. Even with a timer on how often you can take a vote, its still annoying at best.
My last point is that installing a kick voting system in LoL is just going to give trolls another tool to troll with.
Oh HoN, where EACH PERSON in the team can call surrender vote every 50 seconds :D

Chocmerc

12-09-2011

Math fight!

KittyMew90

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2011

Stupid math fight is pointless. The point is that there is nothing to stop or prevent trolls in the first place. There is nothing to stop 4 people from having a bad "surrender at 20" game because of a leaver or troll.

Raptoreyes

12-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
10 people per game, the max number of troll on your team is 4 (because the last person is you). The chance of max troll is 44%. then, the chance of been pick for captain is 20% (1 out of 5 people). So the question is what is the max chance of been a troll AND picked to be the captain.

When two events are independent, the probability of both occurring is the product of the probabilities of the individual events. More formally, if events A and B are independent, then the probability of both A and B occurring is:

P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B)

where P(A and B) is the probability of events A and B both occurring, P(A) is the probability of event A occurring, and P(B) is the probability of event B occurring.

so in our case, it is (4/9) * (1/5) = 4 / 45 = 8.89%

Did I made a mistake?
Stop arguing with the "platform engineer" or any other sort of engineer please. Its posts like the above that keep the asprin companies in business.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

12-12-2011
13 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMew90 View Post
Stupid math fight is pointless. The point is that there is nothing to stop or prevent trolls in the first place. There is nothing to stop 4 people from having a bad "surrender at 20" game because of a leaver or troll.
Math is the foundation of computer science. and we need both math and computer science if we ever going to build a TrollBusterô

Crollus

12-12-2011

Forgive me if this hasn't already been mentioned in the thread, but have you considered adopting a system similar to the one being used by Valve with Dota2?

This system is such that if someone disconnects, a 5 minute timer begins. After those five minutes, if the player has not yet reconnected, the DC'd player is slapped with an abandoned "status," which means that for a time they are placed in a lower priority queue(takes significantly longer for them to find a game) as well as, after aforementioned 5 minutes are up, it is safe for the remaining players in the game to leave the game, so that they no longer have to waste their time.

I only bring this up because, in the short time I've had access to the Dota2 beta, I've had disconnects in 5 or 6 of the ~20 games I've played. The system they have in place provides an easy out to the team at the sudden disadvantage and it became the player's choice to either press on, against the odds, or throw up their hands in defeat and then not have a certain problems, such as waiting until 20 minute mark, hold them back from being able to end the game and start a new one.

I recently played a game where someone picked a Teemo(big surprise) in champion select, called top, and then never even loaded into the game from the get go and I remember thinking at the time that it would have been amazing if I could have just safely left the game like you can in Dota2 rather than having to waste 4 times as much of my time to get into the next troll match.

0PT1MUS PR1ME

12-12-2011

haha TrollBuster tm.

nice.

Also, Kiddington I love your rational approach to this stuff.