Nasus jungle thoughts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

copperpoint

09-13-2013

Hi, I want to make Nasus one of my main junglers
and I'm therefore thinking what would be the most effective way to play him ?

Summoner Spells:
Easy part first. Nasus is a jungler without a gapcloser, so Smite and Ghost.

Masteries:
This is more complicated.
Overall I think the defense tree is the best choice, since Nasus is going to be a tank in the team fight.
The defense jungle skills and the tenacity are THE must have skills.
Champ AA reduction is of no interest, since there are none in the jungle and later on, this wont make a difference.
-10% crit dmg is also only good if someone actually goes for crit, right ? Gankplank or Trynda for example. Most of this stuff is only good later on/in Teamfights.

Personally, I dont like the smite talent. The amount of gold it gives is just too low to make a difference. (10 gold per use at 70 second cd...go figure)
Improved Ghost in the offense tree looks much more interesting, if you ask me, plus the talents down to the aromr penetration. I'd love the cdr, but AS is propably better.

Runes:
Movementspeed Quints are a must have in my opinion. You basically run around all day and try to gank quickly...Others like Lifesteal would give more sustain, bbut you're already pretty fine with what you have. AD etc would improve your clear time, but that's irelevant if you are too slow to reach your opponent in a gank, right ?

Flat Armor Seals for even less damage in the jungle and MR per Level Glyphs since Creeps dont do magic damage.

The marks are tricky...ARP is ok, AS as well or plain AD.
Since Nasus has a spell that reduces Armor quite effectively, I think ARP runes arent that useful in the jungle...maybe later on though. I could use some thoughts on this.

I've tested some stuff in custom games and all runes basically work and get the job done.
What gives me more trouble are Nasus's spells. 1st point in spirit fire is a must. You can even clear blue solo if you want to. 2nd point in Syphoning Strike. After that it's rather open.
More points in Q, drastically reduce the cooldown,(8,7,6,5,4seconds) which makes it easier to get stronger. More points in Spirit Fire increase the clear time overall but your Q will suck.
Wither does nothing in the jungle but is gold in a gank. I'm not sure if leveling this one up is that important. Thoughts ?

There's also the idea of an offensive build on nasus or the support tree. +3% movement speed(2 MS Quints), extra gold, EXP, Lifesteal and massive CDR also sound really sweet.
I'm really torn, right now.

How do you play Nasus, or do you have any thoughts on all this ?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2013

The masteries I run on Nasus are a generic page I use for most junglers I run ghost on. They are 1/26/3, with the ghost speed boost from offense, out of combat movement from utility, and jungle masteries, regen, scaling health, health, armor, slow reduction, cc reduction, max health, death timer reduction, damage reduction, and 1 point in magic resist and percent magic resist/armor each.

The runes I run are a generic jungle page with emphasis on movement speed and flat AD, so 3x MS Quints, 9x flat AD reds, 9x flat armor yellows, 9x scaling MR blues.

My skill order is E Q W max E max W. Q scales on its own and I naturally build CDR, so I leave it for last, whereas I greatly value the jungle clear/waveclear/objective control from E. I can understand maxing Q before W, and I don't think either method has a significant advantage over the other, so go with whichever you're comfortable with.

As far as more offensive runes, I do take them on other junglers, but I feel like Nasus' kit doesn't really benefit as much from them - most of his power comes from his kit, rather then his AD stats, so I feel a tankier build is stronger.

You didn't ask about item builds, so I assume you're going with meta jungle defaults.

vortical42

09-13-2013

Just a few comments.

1. CDR is much better than AS on Nasus regardless of where you play him. That being said, don't bother getting it from the offensive masteries unless you are also planning on getting some other skills in that tree. Nasus has plenty of good CDR items he can build (SotAG is insanely good on him), he really doesn't need extra from runes/masteries.

2. The marks you use depend on your role for the team. If you are playing as a bruiser (get behind enemy lines and blow up the squishy) then you want ArP to boost the damage from your Q. If you are playing as more of a tank (protect the carry and soften up enemies with AOE) then you want MP to boost the damage from your Spirit Fire and your ult. If you aren't sure just pick up a set of hybrid pen marks.

3. Unless you are in a situation where your team mates refuse to leash*, always get Siphoning Strike as your first skill. Missing out on those first 5 stacks (3 from the golum and 2 from the small creeps) isn't worth the small amount of extra damage you get from spirit fire.

*The one BIG exception to this is when you are expecting a level 1 fight, either because you are invading or you expect the enemy to invade you. In that situation, the AOE damage and armor reduction can help your team secure FB. If you aren't sure, simply wait to level up your first skill until you know what the situation is going to be.

copperpoint

09-14-2013

Hi again,
thanks for the comments.
You're propably right, that the defense tree is the logical choice for nasus.
He really has more practical spells that also happen to do damage. His Ulti makes him tanky, spiritfire is a mass debuff and Q is really the only damage spell he has.

Oh, and yes, I totally forgot about the items.
I guess a machete is to be expected, but do you have to start with that ? Again, I guess that you just need the pots for the first clear.

On the first back, I take boots and spirit stone. If I ganked successfully, a ward as well.
After that I finish Spirit stone asap, get some Tier 2 boots maybe ninja tabi or speed boots...although the CDR boots are pretty sweet as well. ^^

After that I'm unsure.
Spirit visage is good, but iceborn gauntlet is too.
IBG has a slow, a nice damage boost and armor as well as mana (always good if you dont get the blue)+ a bit of the beloved cdr.
Spirit Visage Gives HP and MR, lots of cdr and improves the jungle by sustain.
I guess the IBG is the better first choice overall..Spirit visage comes right after that...if the opponents arent mainly AD, that is. In that case I'd check out Randuins Omen, Maybe even a Thornmail.
Locket is ok, but it only gives MR to my team, which can be the wrong choice.
If the game still goes on, how about a Warmog or a GA...or both ?

MrRyanElectro

09-14-2013

I like to put one in spirit first, then siphoning strike. I then lvl up wither once, after that I max spirit. THis impoves my clear time, and i get the passive on siphoning strike. I max wither next for banks, then get siphoning strike last, as it isnt that great a dmg boost unless u gets its passive really high. Ill end up with about 100-150 in siphoning strike's passive, and just farm it up. I love if cuz it gets really strong late game only.

Jumping Shrimp

09-15-2013

Nasus can't gank...

Melvear

09-15-2013

I play Nasus both as top and jungle, but I build him the same regardless. He's an offtank/bruiser, and can't really be considered a tank since he has next to no peel.
The big advantage Nasus has over other bruisers is that he scales in damage through farm, and very little through items, which allows him to buy mostly tank item and still be a relevant threat.

My build is Spirit of Ancient Golem, Iceborn Gauntlet, Ninja Tabi, Spirit Visage, Last Whisper and a last situational item (A ruby sightstone can be a great buy to help your support and give your team massive vision).
This build gives great hp, resists and 40% cdr, and keeps your Q damage very strong throughout the game.
I usually level up Q first to reduce its cooldown, but I can see not maxing it first being beneficial. I would however max Wither first if i didn't level q first. It's really the defining Nasus spell IMO. A 95% slow with a large AS debuff really neuters ADCs and gives you the opportunity to kill them or force them to burn flash.
I find Spirit Fire nice, but it costs a lot of mana and I just can't justify to level it first. I want to get Q stacks as much as possible and having E kill jungle monsters goes against that. In teamfight I find few people actually stay within its area and the damage is negligible anyway.
Next game I play Nasus I'll try going 3 into Q to get it at a reasonably low cooldown and max wither after that. Might be a better route.

Getting Q farmed up is really, obviously, a key to playing nasus right imo. It gives him teamfight presence, but it also makes him a powerful split pusher. With a LW and a sheen item, you'll be wrecking towers very fast, and few people can go 1v1 against a well farmed Nasus (I could see maybe Ziggs and blue Ez kite you, maybe a good lee sin too).

copperpoint

09-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Sasquash View Post
Nasus can't gank...
what? Why?

@Melvear:
Hmmm...that sounds logical too.
I just tested it in custom mode, no matter if you start Q or E, you're still able to solo blue and the rest of the jungle. At least if you also start machete + pots + defense tree.
Oh, and also AS marks....though ARP marks also do the job.
Since Nasus is a late game champ, it might me smarter to actually use the ARP marks rather then the AS marks...
What do you think ? I'm not really a fan of hybrid marks on Nasus btw. 1) because theyre SO expensive and 2, he doesnt do much magic damage to champions to justify these, does he ?
And creeps have no MR to begin with.

vortical42

09-16-2013

Actually he does a lot more magic damage than you would think. The only physical skill he has is his Q, everything else is magic. As I said, the hybrid marks are not always the optimum but they let you be flexible in how you play. If you know 100% what role you will be playing (brusier or tank) then use the pen marks that are best for that role.

As for items, there really isn't one set build. You have to adapt to the role you are playing and who the threats are on the enemy team. SotAG is pretty much your core item. Once you complete that and your T1 boots the rest of your build will change each game. If you need defense against an AD heavy team then you want Zhonya's. If they are AP heavy go for SV. If you need more CC for peeling or chasing, get an IBG. For more damage pick up a Liandries or Abyssal. You can even build glass-cannon with a Lichbane or a Ghostblade.

SeanDreamFriend

09-16-2013

This helped me a lot thank you so much!