Ryze counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The LORD saves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

Kog'maw if he stays out of range.
Tryndamere if he is as fed as Ryze.
AP burst champs can hold their own(but not push as well).

Anyone else with enough CC.

Narog

01-28-2012

talon and kassidin

Rene123321

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

Lux can do it

socillion

01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinheimer View Post
Fizz is a good counter to Ryze. As mentioned earlier, Ryze generally doesn't build have MR so Fizz will do very nice damage to him. That, including Trollvaulting to interrupt your combo, and 50% heal reduction really ruins Ryze' sustain and the usefulness of his snare.

Fizz' kit allows him to effectively trade damage with Ryze and actually come out ahead.
Ryze destroys Fizz...

Ryze root outranges Fizz Q, so you have to engage with E, which means Fizz takes a million damage for free when trying to back out. Fizz will lose trades (even early game) and will never be able to secure a kill due to root.
In larger fights, Ryze roots Fizz (you can't trollpole it because it is instantly applied) and Fizz will just get melted.

Champs like Brand, Morg, and Kog are impossible to kill as Ryze without outplaying them really badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikruti View Post
Most of the Ryze's I've seen (including myself) rarely if ever buy Void Staves. This is because the vast majority of people don't buy MR.

As for which champions in particular....well, anyone with a silence will help immensely. He's very reliant on spam casting to be effective, in particular his Q. If you can stop him from chain combo-ing you, his effectiveness goes way down.

Heavy physical attackers are at somewhat of a disadvantage in that his typical build includes a large amount of armor (every single Ryze builds Frozen Heart...period) but if for example, you're a Xin Zhao or Tryndamere with a QSS or Cleanse to stop the snare, you stand a very good chance. Remember, he's not a burst champion, he's a high sustained DPS champion. He relies on dealing a high amount of damage over several seconds to kill people.

On the flip side of that coin, a Kassadin or Le Blanc will do a decent job of taking him down a peg. Both are high burst casters who can silence. Most Ryze's only get one MR item, Odin's Veil. While that is nice, it's only going to put you around 100 MR near end-game. That's not much when placed against masteries + Dominion Aura + Void Staff.
If people aren't buying multiple negatrons apiece and complaining about how OP Ryze is, you're doing it wrong.

Leblanc is pretty scary as any caster.

Matchups like Xin/Trynd vs Ryze are pretty iffy, it depends a ton on mechanical skill and what cooldowns are available. If they don't have MR they'll just straight up lose, though.

edit: I think well played Ahri beats Ryze.

Birdoflegends

01-28-2012

Ban him

Ascleph

01-28-2012

Would olaf stand a chance?

The LORD saves

01-28-2012

Soraka

aiNpeace

01-28-2012

best ryze counter is banning ryze

Whi

01-28-2012

execution sword/ Xin smack=win.

Marzix

Recruiter

01-28-2012

I play Ryze enough to know who to avoid and who I know I can kill, but the champs I have had trouble against are ones with gap closers and better pushers.

I just went against a Cass who outhealed me time and time again, also, she has a gigantic range with her Twin fangs or whatever the ability is called. I usually died really far away and she took bottom 4 or 5 times and I hardly put any dent into her. Her ult was doing almost half my health, followed by a little poison and a twin ability to finish me off while I am trying to run away. Usually I was lucky to get off a single Q on her. Someone switched with me while I went top and got on a spree of like 7 or 8, but eventually cass came up there and just destroyed me. I go bot, take their tower, cass cuts me off and destroys me again when she was like half health and I was almost full. Her first 2 items were the lifesteal gun, and the book that it builds into. Think we still won because their team couldn't counter me when I was top. I think we eventually took all 4 bases except the one on bottom on our side that cass sat on and we won.

Other champs that have given me trouble are Heimerdinger, Irelia, Wukong, and Talon. Can't recall a time I played Ryze vs a Kass, Leblanc sucks vs all the champs I play, so I imagine she would not be fun to play against as Ryze either. It's funny, I would play lots of tanky AD champs when dom first came out, so to help my team vs Rammus I would take Ryze and kite him (except the ones with flash). Eventually I tell my team to not ban Rammus since I can deal with him quite well, though they never listen and most Rammus players are pretty bad.