Ryze counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lbgsloan

12-07-2011

So serious discussion here, not QQ, who counters a mid-late Ryze? Kassadin does pretty well, but he's often banned. AD Champions are kind of helpless due to his Frozen Heart, snare, and sustain from spellvamp. AP Champions are at a disadvantage since Ryze gets to build a Veil without losing any real damage output. Who can deal with him 1v1?

ViolentlyCar

12-07-2011

Burst casters in general. Ryze is very strong against carries because a lot of his itemization works against them, but he has a much harder time itemizing against AP. He can't really stack too much MR without really hurting his own damage output.

Psi21

12-07-2011

Actually any AD carry that picks up a Q sash or happens to have cleanse doesn't have a problem.

Kog and Vayne as they get faster and fast attack speed do quite well against anyone.

The list goes on.

And would hardly call Morgana at a disadvantage against Ryze.

In fact... Poppy, Rammus and Shaco are much more of a problem in Dominion than Ryze.

Ensign

12-07-2011

I hesitate as I say it, but I don't think Ryze has any bad match-ups in the mid-game - after he's picked up his WotA, but before the AD carries have started to go off with Sanguine + IE + PD.

He's tanky enough to survive a single character's burst, and has so much spell vamp with his ultimate, and such good sustained damage, that his health refills very quickly mid-fight.

Mid-game, I'm afraid of silences and hard CC that stop me from casting and vamping back up. I think you definitely want focus fire combined with hard CC to knock out Ryze mid game.

But really...delay his mid game as much as possible. Ryze is not strong early game, and doesn't become a powerhouse until he gets his defense + WotA. You'll be a lot better off if you've forced him to go top and beaten him up than if you've allowed him to free-farm bottom for the first 8 minutes.

IS1429332aa9b633

12-07-2011

AS bloodrazor I suppose.
Kayle may work too...

Lord Macaroni

12-07-2011

you don't counter ryze. ryze counters you.

SgtPepper75

12-07-2011

Veigar does pretty well against Ryze because his ulti scales with your target's AP. Really it just turns into a battle of who can land their stun first. Whoever gets stunned gets nuked.

FDru

12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper75 View Post
Veigar does pretty well against Ryze because his ulti scales with your target's AP.
I laughed really hard at this.

Ikruti

12-07-2011

Most of the Ryze's I've seen (including myself) rarely if ever buy Void Staves. This is because the vast majority of people don't buy MR. I know that's sort of obvious but it's one of the simplest things to do that is often overlooked. Most people die because he's a mage and they expect him to be squishy like them and he's not. Don't build squishy either and you'll have a greater chance at success.

As for which champions in particular....well, anyone with a silence will help immensely. He's very reliant on spam casting to be effective, in particular his Q. If you can stop him from chain combo-ing you, his effectiveness goes way down.

Heavy physical attackers are at somewhat of a disadvantage in that his typical build includes a large amount of armor (every single Ryze builds Frozen Heart...period) but if for example, you're a Xin Zhao or Tryndamere with a QSS or Cleanse to stop the snare, you stand a very good chance. Remember, he's not a burst champion, he's a high sustained DPS champion. He relies on dealing a high amount of damage over several seconds to kill people.

On the flip side of that coin, a Kassadin or Le Blanc will do a decent job of taking him down a peg. Both are high burst casters who can silence. Most Ryze's only get one MR item, Odin's Veil. While that is nice, it's only going to put you around 100 MR near end-game. That's not much when placed against masteries + Dominion Aura + Void Staff.

EDIT: Umm...no, Veigar is not a solid counter to Ryze. Ryze builds some MR in Odin's Veil and usually has atrociously low AP until very end game when he decides to upgrade his tear to an AA Staff.

Rainor

12-07-2011

Urgot.