[Champion Concept] Argolos, the Frozen Sentry (December MCCC Entry)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veral42

12-09-2011

Also, in reference to Villanova as well. Leviathan is an item that stacks with kills. As such, it's not an item that holds any real sway in competitive or ELO play unless you can snowball build against a noob team. Please refrain from counting such "snowball" items in calculations, since the likelihood of achieving full stacks is almost 0.

DeRickulous

12-12-2011

Automated Repair Construct (Innate): This requires that you pick E as your first skill, which is somewhat less than ideal- it might as well be baked into the Overdrive. I'd strongly recommend some other way to implement this.
Chill Stream (Q): If I am to assume "shackle" means "root", the Overdrive effect is pretty potent- an area effect root with a lingering slow. Sure it's a skillshot, but it's easy to land because minions don't block it. The damage is low enough to be considered an aftereffect, and the slow at low levels is negligible. The only incentive to rank this up is to reduce the cooldown (which is, admittedly, rather appealing). Still, this probably doesn't merit a point until level 13 because of how potent the other abilities are in comparison (a very, very bad sign).
Midnight's Storm (W): The stun duration is hideously long for a basic ability, especially considering that it's area effect (albeit melee range) and has a viciously low cooldown. This and E will probably be the highest priority abilities, even over R (which is a bit of a problem). The base damage is high (375 area damage for the full channel), but with such a brutal disable (with max CDR, something this guy hugely benefits from, this has over 40% uptime on an area stun!) you don't need much, because your enemies will never do anything. The aura effect is probably overpowered- mind you, slow immunity is only given to Yi and Olaf, and only for short durations (this probably has 100% uptime). The splash damage and armor/resist are strong but ultimately meaningless in the face of the other effects. Overall this ability does everything, and does it well- and would rightly have a lot of people crying foul.
Overdrive System (E): As I mentioned before, slow immunity is a strong bonus granted to only two champions, and only for short durations- this has 100% uptime at max cooldown reduction. This is the second highest priority (only lower than W because of its massive disable). Oh, and yes, it IS better than Yi.
Frozen Overload (R): I'd suggest removing the toggle part of this ability, making the first part a plain passive. If it needs a paragraph of explanation, it's probably too complicated. Importantly, you can't toggle it off without harming yourself (or extending the UI, another big no no). The active is actually kind of nice, because it suddenly forces the enemy team to reconsider their targeting. Number tweaking is, of course, required (25% of your health is a potentially huge number).

Bigg Fuddgee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veral42 View Post
\
Ability 1 "Q"
Name: Chill Stream

Active: Argolos transforms his arm into a small cannon, releasing a blast of mana-enhanced frozen air. This shot pierces all enemies in it's path, but deals 5% reduced damage for each target it passes through after the first. Enemies hit by the blast take 45/65/85/105/125 + (.2 AP) magic damage and are slowed by 5/10/15/20/25% for 3 seconds. If "Overdrive System" is active, any enemy champions are shackled for the next 1.5 seconds.

Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10
Cost: 45/55/65/75/85
Missile Speed: 800 units per second
Missile Width: 250 units
Range: 650
Cast Time: .5 seconds

Ability 2 "W"
Name: Midnight's Storm

Passive: Argolos passively gains 4/8/12/16/20 MRes and Armor

Toggle: Argolos begins channeling a massive hail storm around him. Enemies that are within range when this ability is activated are stunned for .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds, and all enemies in the storm while it is active take 45/65/85/105/125 + (.1 AP) magic damage per second spent in the storm. After this ability is active for 3 or more seconds it triggers a passive aura that lasts for 2/4/6/8/10 seconds after this ability is toggled off. While this aura is active, all of Argolos's attacks (not abilities) deal splash damage equal to 5/10/15/20/25% of the damage dealt to the primary target. If "Overdrive System" is active at the same time as the aura, then Argolos's allies gain his movement/attack speed buffs and his slow immunity while the 2 are active simultaneously.

Cooldown: 17/15/13/11/9
Cost: 45/55/65/75/85 mana per second
Radius: 250
Aura Radius: 550

Ability 3 "E"
Name: Overdrive System

Active: Argolos activates his disabled overdrive system, channeling the power of the Fjord throughout his entire body. After activating, Argolos's basic attacks deal 20/30/40/50/60 bonus magic damage each hit for the next 6 seconds. While this overdrive is active, Argolos also gains a 10% movement and attack speed bonus and cannot be slowed for it's duration.

Cooldown: 21/18/15/12/9
Cost: 85

Ability 4 "R"
Name: Frozen Overload

Toggle / Active: While this ability is toggled on, you gain a stacking damage reduction buff (max: 3 stacks) every time "Overdrive System" is active. Each stack gives 6/8/10% damage reduction from all sources. Once you have reached max stacks, you may pay this ability's activation cost in order to gain it's active effect. Once activated, double the damage reduction granted by this skill for 4/8/12 seconds (all stacks are lost upon activation or toggle off). In addition, your current health is reduced by 25% and all allies in range gain a shield for the next 4 seconds that will absorb incoming damage equal to the amount of health Argolos sacrificed by this ability's effect (this shield is not lost if they leave the ability's range).

Cooldown: 120/105/90
Toggle Cost: 5/8/11 mana per second
Activation Cost: 100/120/140
Range: 350

Natural "Passive"
Name: Automated Repair Construct

Effect: Argolos has a highly complex repair system built into his body. Every time Argolos activates "Overdrive System" he regains 5% of his total health while the skill is on cooldown

Question: "I'm confused about how Argolos's "R" works, can you explain it?
I can. Argolos's "R" ability, Frozen Overlord, begins as a toggle ability. While it is toggled on he gains stacks each time he uses his "E". These stacks are wiped out if the ability is toggled off. After Argolos gains 3 stacks he can "activate" Frozen Overlord by using the skill (like toggling the skill off, this wipes his current stacks). Argolos then temporarily gains double the /DR he had from the stacks (60% /DR over 12 seconds at max skill). Activating the ability also cuts Argolos's health and grants his allies a temporary shield for a few seconds equal to the life he sacrifices.
Q: I don't understand how it is mana enhanced when it scales with AP...5% less damage is usually not an amount used. Actually i don't think its used at all, I mean Ezreal's ultimate reduces by 15% each time? Other than that i don't see a problem with this.

W: Havn't even read it yet and holy ****....how would you fit all of that into those little boxes in game... The passive is generic and seems unneeded...so far it has no synergy with this champion, Btw yours is better than Shyvanas...you can get it early and it does the same amount. But again this is really unneeded..seems like you threw it in just to make him a tank, i will say that by giving him this passive you have done quite the opposite...If i have a champion that gets passive armor and MR like Shyvana why would i build tank? I'm already sustained...why not just build AP or AD with some tank items to finish the set off...

Lol now onto the toggle. Oh wow is this broken beyond belief...Um it has no synergy with the passive at all... I will then mention that you talk about this overdrive spell giving an aura that increases allies attack and attack speed by the same amount as your champion...Ummm he gets splash damage? so i'm confused about that. Now onto the rest of my complaints.
1) a 2.5 second stun...With 40% CDR your champion this is a 5.4 Cd....Ad you can stun all champions near him for 2.5 seconds every 5 seconds...So potentially you stun them and your cool down is halfway done before they can move again. Why even cast this as an aura lol I like this OP stun sooooo much more. Now onto the aura
2) Splash damage for attack? What does that have to do with your champion?? you are an ap caster that has support spells...what does having splash do for you? Think of malaphite...his splash damage means something because the active that follows it increases his damage by a %. You so far have no damage boost...soooo an ap caster tank would care about having splash damage for what reason??
3) I had 2 toggles on my champion...85 mana a second is very high....let me explain this to you..This one ability makes the player want to build so many ways....AD for the Splash, AP for the ability, Mana because well hell thats a large cost, Tank so you don't get focused right away...There is no center to this ability, Oh and CDR for that crazy but stun...

Overall I'd trash this or rework it.

E: Well now the splash makes more sense....too bad the magic damage is too high for the other effects to occur...and this ability has no scaling....
1) movement speed doesn't scale
2) the damage scales but not with ap and the base is pretty high...
3) You then give him movement speed and yi/olaf's ultimate....Not being able to be slowed is ridiculously powerful...
4) not to mention that while this is on it empowers other abilities
5) This should be an ultimate...and still should be nerfed...I mean hiem increases his abilities but not nearly to the length of yours....and then this also gives him movement speed and not being able to be slowed....

R: Oh goodness and now you want to build tons of warmogs...Ummmmm this is an anti design...your building a tank but giving the enemy a reason not to attack you...Let me point out Alistar to you....Alistar is not a tank although you may think so. He is a support that most teams will focus down first...so they give alistar his ultimate that reduces damage by a heavy amount so they won't focus him....That is what yours is doing...why attack someone who takes 20% less damage.

Passive: This passive focuses on one ability....Big NO...a Passive never enhances only one ability unless its a passive under that ability. Needs to be changed...Rather make a minor effect for each spell or something else...

Overall: make that overdrive his passive, of course minor it and then show the benefits it provides all the spells...

Trash the E for the passive
Trash the W completely because its bad....that or rework the **** out of it.
Trash the ultimate completely because it is an anti design.

Sorry to be so rough but you wanted a review...If you woulda checked out my work you would have known what you got yourself into....I don't think you will read the rest of it because you are probably pissed...

If you liked the review please go to my thread and +1 it, Tell friends about me and perhaps put a link on your thread, if you liked it tons positive feedback would be awesome.

I need Hod reviewed the most since its the MCCC, but my other champions are unique and interesting as well and Hod is almost complete balanced out.

Good luck with the MCCC hope this helped.

Veral42

12-12-2011

Thanks for the review Bigg. A couple of interesting ideas in there that I think I'll play around with a bit on his design. The build conflict you mentioned on "W" is intentional, allowing for many viable builds on the champion. In response to the stun, I might try scaling down to a .5/.75/1/1.25/1.5 second scale and will probably tone back flat damage scale a bit (not base 1 tho). I'm a bit confused on your reasoning for Alistar, he is a tank was made as a tank and is labeled as such in game and by Riot (reff: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champions). The ultimate, while I may rework some of it, isn't entirely an anti-design as you said (I feel, at least). The idea for this came as a variant of Maokai's ult, which puts up an AoE /DR position on the map. "E" is going to switch over to physical damage probably and looking to add a small AD scale (maybe .15 AD?). In addition, let me point Alistar/Mao's ults for /DR note (Alistar has 60ish /DR for his ult). Passive will likely be switched to a 5/10/15% scaling lifesteal passive (a-la Morgana's Spell Vamp passive, which gives him a bit of sustain and promotes the targeting of him)

Bigg Fuddgee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Well good luck, but to explain my rant on Alistar....if you play him a tank you need to look at the meta-game...Can he be played as a tank, yes. is he made a tank by riot? Yes....But if you give him auras, cool down reduction, with a Will of the Ancients, and Abyssal scepter then his healing does well, his passive does good damage along with his Q and W...Also with cool down reduction he can disrupt the enemy team. You can also build him AD which effects his W....The support gives him a good amount of D while his ultimate makes him a stupid person to attack. So overall tank alistar is far less effective as a supportive alistar.

Veral42

12-13-2011

Lots of changes, as I had lots of things I felt better fit his role (prelim draft atm)

Veral42

12-15-2011

Would love some more feedback on this guy, since he's for the MCCC and I just re did his skills

Veral42

12-17-2011

bump

Veral42

12-19-2011

bump

Azmare

02-28-2012

Hello Veral, I'm back Interesting concept you have here, just a few notes worth mentioning...

Your Passive/Q/W/R abilities... I'll be straight, I don't like them. Don't get me wrong, it's not a personal affront to the idea behind them, or even what they do. I don't like how they mesh together AND rely on the E. Essentially, if I were to play this champion in game, I'd be forced to take the E either at level 1 or 2, otherwise he's not living up to his full potential. Also, the passive feels very... passive. So, here's what I would do...

Passive - Change this. The effect is useful, but stale. As a matter of personal opinion, I prefer champions who's passive provides them their playstyle (or at the very least, influences their item purchases). One of two things - scrap this and find something new or work some of the E's synergy into it somehow (so I don't feel like my skill choices are herded when I'm playing this champ).

Q and W - These skills are fine on their own. If you decide to make an entirely new passive (instead of the synergy passive I also recommended), then you'll want to add individual synergy effects to these spells (ex. Q gets the attack speed boost if W was combo'd or a move speed boost if E was combo'd). Some food for thought anyways.

E - I'd rework this. The champion seems too reliant on this one skill. Change it so that he doesn't rely on this one skill for the combos, add your old passive healing effect here whenever he lands a killing blow on a champ/minion as a bonus for while this is active (of course, since this is then a burst heal, make the numbers higher and scale).

R - This skill seems fine to me.

I hope this helps; let me know what you think... I'll be checking in later.