[Guide] Nunu, The Friendly Giant

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VanquisherGod

08-23-2010

Introduction
This Guide is a brief guide to Nunu. Nunu is often an underplayed hero, and is considered low-tier by most high level players. They state that he's weak late game, and lacks use in a team fight, but i'm here to show you how to play a proper Nunu and own. With the proper items and build, Nunu is simply a beast and an important part in any team. He has amble burst damage to take out casters in seconds and the staying power to harass physical carries across the map. In a lane, he can effectively harass and deny enemy Champions, preventing them from farming while Nunu stays in his lane forever.In my opinion, Nunu is OP.
Btw, I'm a lvl 30 summoner and Nunu is basically my main character. I'm mostly positive in kill/death ratios with alot of assist. This guide is a general take on how I play Nunu. Feel free to comment.

NOTE
Nunu is not a
1. Carry
2. Tanker
3. Capable Of Dominating Late Game

Nunu

Damage 51.06 (+3.45 / per level)
Health 437 (+108 / per level)
Mana 213 (+42 / per level)
Move Speed 315
Armor 16.5 (+3.5 / per level)
Spell Block 30 (+0 / per level)
Health Regen 1.41 (+0.16 / per level)
Mana Regen 0.82 (+0.06 / per level)

We can see here that Nunu has decent health gains per level but is lacking in damage. His base movement speed is average.

Masteries:
For Nunu, I take 8/0/22 with improve ignite and ghost. Ignite is useful for adding some additional damage with my build and netting some early kills which are crucial. Ghost is for improving your chasing and escaping ability and is generally useful

Summoner Spells
Obviously, you'll take Ignite and Ghost. Flash is acceptable for ghost if you are good at micro. Flash>Absolute Zero=Rape

Skill List

Consume - The Yeti takes a bite out of target minion, dealing heavy damage to it and restoring his own health.
Takes a bite out of target minion, dealing 500/600/700/800/900 true damage and restoring 125/180/235/290/345 (+1) health.
Cost
60/60/60/60/60 Mana
Range

Ownage. This is why people hate laning against Nunu in a lane. Unlimited staying power, and combine with his passive and a maki pendent early, Nunu never has to run back for health. Great Farming, can instant caster creeps at lvl 1 and melee creeps at lvl 2, netting you gold.

Blood Boil - Invigorates an allied unit and Nunu by heating their blood, increasing attack speed and movement speed.
Increases an allied unit's attack speed by 25/35/45/55/65% and movement speed by 11/12.5/13/14.5/15% for 15 seconds. Nunu also gains the effects of Bloodboil if casted on an allied unit.
Cost
50/50/50/50/50 Mana
Range

A decent Skill, you'll always cast it on an ally since you get the boost anyway. Not that useful on Nunu becaus his melee and autoatk sucks but on a carry late in the game, its useful. The additional MS is also useful for chasing and escaping. Get 1 level early.

Ice Blast - Nunu throws a ball of ice at an enemy unit, dealing damage and slowing their movement speed for 4 seconds.
Nunu throws a ball of ice at an enemy unit, dealing 85/130/175/225/275 (+1) magic damage and slowing their movement speed by 40/45/50/55/60% and attack speed by 25% for 4 seconds.
Cost
75/85/95/105/115 Mana
Range

Nunu's bread and butter. With Ice. Amazing nuke. After lvl 2, against squishys in a lane, 1 cast will take off 1/4 of their health. Low CD and the slow is very very long. It is possible to orb walk with this skill once you get your boots, given enough distance. This skill also allows Nunu to kite physical melee's across the map.

Absolute Zero - Nunu begins to sap the area of heat, gradually slowing all nearby enemies. When the ability ends, he deals massive damage to all enemies caught in the area.
While channeling for 3 seconds, slows nearby enemy units' attack speed and movement speed. After channeling, enemies caught in the area are dealt 625/875/1125 (+2.5) magic damage.
Cost
150/150/150 Mana
Range

Nunu's ult is a beast. Anything trapped within the channel is slowed in AS and MS and after 3 seconds, dealt a OP amount of damage. If a champion is at the center during the beginning of the channel, without summoner spells or abilities, there is no way to escape. If channel is broken before 3 seconds, (Stun, knock up, death), then a lesser amount of damage is dealt.

(Passive) Nunu can cast a spell for free after 7 attacks.
His passive is decent. A free spell cast after 7 attacks might seem alot but when you are last hitting creeps, 1 wave is almost a free cast which equals health from his bite. Combine with a maki pendent, Nunu will have no mana problems during the entire game.

Skill Order
E
Q
E
W
E
R
E
Q
E
Q
R
Q
Q
W
W
W
W

Item Build
1. Rod Of Ages
2. Mercury Treads
3. Sunfire Cape
4. Sunfire Cape
5. Chalice Of Harmony
6. Optional ( Zhonya's Ring If Things Look Good, Guardian Angels If You Are Dying Occasionally, Banshees Veil)

Optional Item Build
1. Rod Of Ages
2. Sorcerers Shoe
3. Abyssal Scepter
4. Zhonya's Ring
5. Chalice Of Harmony
6. Void Staff

My main item build works just fine. It combines AP with decent health and banshee veil to allow absolute zero to go off since the damage is much less if the channel is stopped. Banshee will stop stun and Sunfire will ensure all trapped will be taking damage for those 3 seconds. Since Nunu can forever chase a champion across the map with Ice Blast, the sunfire will be dealing a ton lot of damage because you'll always be next to the champion, waiting for the Ice Blast CD while they are slowed.

The second item build is mainly for AP, since Nunu's 2 nukes stack quite well with AP. However, I don't recommend it as someone with enough magic resist will be able to stop you, and the low health will make casting absolute zero a risk. The damage output will be high, but you'll spend too much time dead.

Early Game
Nunu's early game is especially powerful. Depending on your confidence, either buy a ruby crystal or maki pendant. The Ruby crystal allows you to build your Catalyst the protector>Rod of ages quicker but the maki pedant allows for early spamming. I recommend Maki pedant. With it, you can be aggressive as your mana regeneration will allow you to spam consume whenever CD is up, gaining unlimited lane potential and full health. At lvl 3, you can try for a kill. Zone control them near your tower so their creeps push and you have distance to chase. Pop up and Ice Blast, Ice Blast, Ice Blast them while keeping close distance. Follow up with a ignite and they will be usually dead for casters.

Mid Game
Nunu will be coming into his prime. By now, you should be lvl 8 and 9. With a kill or 2 from your lane phase, you should have a rod of ages and mercury threads. With these, gank around the map with a team mate. With a succesful Ice Blast, they will be locked for death as the slow last a long time. Keep with them and continue to follow up with Ice Blast. In the chance they flash out of the way, use ghost and blood boil to have an incredible MS and lock them again with Ice Blast. Most of the time unless they run to a turret, they cannot match you. Don'y be afraid to use absolute cold against 1 target as a kill is a kill. Try to Ice Blast them before channeling to double the slow effect. Against 2 targets, try to place yourself to cut off their escape paths (to turrets) before channeling. When tower diving to chase, occasionally consume minions to keep your health up.

Late Game
Nunu is not as strong in late game but he still remains very useful. Engage in team fights, and follow teams. When a physical carry targets you, kite them with Ice Blast and Blood Boil to ensure they deal minimum damage. With sunfire capes and repeated Ice Blast, their health will be worn down. Go in with absolute cold when their health is low and slowed for the kill. Or you can kite them to your waiting teamates to gank. Always use absolute cold in team fights, but try to get the enemy to waste their nukes before channeling. By now, the game will probably be ended. Your kill ratio will probably be like 10/3/15. Enjoy the snowman.

Footnote
This is my first ever Guide written for LOL. I noticed the lack of decent Nunu guides explaining his role, so I decided to write this and hope that it will help people who are searching for a build with Nunu. The views and opinions written here are purely my own, and they work for me while i'm playing Nunu. Feel free to comment or leave your opinions. Thanks for the support.

VanquisherGod. Level:30

VanquisherGod

08-24-2010

Reserve First Post.

HerraHuurre

08-24-2010

No banshee's? :O
Oh wait u just forgot it from the Item build?
Anyway nice 1st guide /thumbs up

VanquisherGod

08-24-2010

yeah. I got a banshee in the optional section cuz if theres no stun or knock up, its not a must for me.

Ailady

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2010

have you seen a tank nunu? very annoying to defeat T_T

VanquisherGod

08-24-2010

Well. You can build it as a tank but I find that with a tank build, but i find that stacking raw health doesn't really work that well. Late game, health without armor or magic resist goes down pretty fast.

CosMoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherGod View Post
In my opinion, Nunu is OP.
Usually when I read such a statement my troll-alarm bells go off and thus I just checked your profile.
Please correct me if the following observation is wrong. You have got:

1. 154 wins in normal games.
  2. no ranked matches yet.
  3. 1 empty rune page and 1 rune page that is half full with level1 runes (Crit chance, Physical damage per level, AP).
  4. no Banshee's Veil in your must-have items.
  5. not one single positive KDR in your last 10 matches, though you mostly played Xin and only once Nunu.

Thanks for the guide and please take no offense, but I'd advise everyone here to read it with the above observation in mind.

VanquisherGod

08-24-2010

haha. yeah, i was playing random matches the last 10 and got paired up with some leavers. but the point is its just a suggestion and that banshee veil is in the build, just listed optional.

Bonegnasher

08-24-2010

A couple criticisms:

1. In the vast majority of games on SR, BVeil is NOT optional. It's practically guaranteed that the other team will have multiple ways to cancel your ult. And when you cast it, one of two things will happen: A) the other team will scatter B) the other team will immediately hit you with everything they. BVeil really, REALLY helps your survivability when situation B occurs, and you really should make a note of this in your guide.

2. 9/0/21 > 8/0/22, and 15% spell pen >>>>>> improved ignite

3. If you're gonna play Nunu as a tanky caster, Haunting Guise and Glacial Shroud (Frozen Heart) are some rock solid items for him, and definitely deserve at least an honorable mention. HP, MP, AP, Armor, Spell Pen, CDR... what's not to like? At the very least, get some CDR.

4. No mention of Nunu's awesome jungling powers.

5. WTB runes. I recommend MPen reds, MP5/lvl yellows, flat CDR blues, flat HP quints. This set is excellent for a large percentage of LoL's champions and is probably the best investment of your IP as far as purchasing runes is concerned.

6. If you like Nunu on SR, try him out on TT. He kicks ass

VanquisherGod

08-24-2010

hmm. thanks for the tips. i'll put Banshee as the main build then. But theres a few guides out there for jungle nunu. This is one more for a laner.