Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Lost In Translation (ex. discussion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Catters

12-05-2011

Hello, fellow Summoners! I run a blog called No ELO, which focuses on providing advice and information for unranked players. In my most recent article I discuss phrases used in League of Legends and MOBAs in general, which may or may not interest some of you. Link just below.

https://lolnoelo.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/lost-in-translation/

However, terminology is not what I'd like to discuss. Instead, the introduction of my article summarizes the history and nature of linguistic control and violence. League of Legends, in many ways, is a game with a large focus on coercion: you want your team to do the right things at all times in order to secure a win. For the most part, the only way of communicating, barring the uninformative pings and voice chat, is using the in-game chat. Without it, you are forced to hope that your team can pull themselves together and act intelligently.

As we all know, it is rare that a team will act intelligently without communication. This is a problem that we struggle with in everyday life as well. Everyone simply has different needs, desires, and goals. To expect these goals to coincide is foolish. It is therefore necessary to have some sort of coercive force to promote activity that benefits all members by a greater amount than if each were to operate independently. This is the basis of government.

Likewise, it is also the basis of leading a team to victory in League of Legends, or perhaps more accurately, yelling them to victory. From my experience, it seems the most effective method to get a team to cooperate involves mentally and economically committing violence against your team. This involves the use of implications, threats, curses, and stealing last hits as well as lingo that many players are only half familiar with. However, this method fails to teach players how to play the game better, only that they ought to listen to the person with the highest score.

So here is where I am conflicted: Do I continue using violence in-chat to secure wins in the short-term while cultivating bad habits? Or should there be an attempt on my part to assist other players in a non-violent manner in-chat, even if they are unwilling to learn and lose anyway? While I am ethically bound to try my hardest to win, I am morally bound to teach and understand other human beings.