Katarina, Garen versus Poppy, Pantheon (and some more)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dungheap

07-06-2010

The issue of mana-using melee and non-mana melee kind of grinds my gears as of late. While i do understand that in some cases it is actually acceptable (for example, both Gangplank and Udyr), in other cases, such as Poppy, Pantheon, Jax and Olaf, it totally is not.

Even looking at the magic-ness of their abilities, i'd say both Katarina and Garen have way more magical abilities than Jax or Pantheon. And yet, they don't even use health to fuel their shunpos, courages and spins. Removing the mana bar from say, Poppy, would greatly help her lane in the early game and to certain extent maybe in later too.

As it is now, it's nowhere near fair in my opinion. One side, there are the two champions who don't use mana or anything, and only care about cooldowns, then, you see the health using bunch such as Mundo, Morde and Tryn, and then there's the pariah mana using melee, which is especially unfair in case of melees who have no support abilities at all.

I spent a while wondering why is this so, and i cannot find an answer.

Lord GiantR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2010

For jax I'd say that mana is good for him, but for Olaf... HELL NO.

NeonSpotlight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2010

No mana for Poppy would be so nice instead of having to ninja Golem or pill constantly.

Salacavalini

07-06-2010

Whereas Katarina does mostly magical damage, all of Garen's abilities do physical damage.

TapiocaBall

07-06-2010

Olaf having mana makes no sense, but he has so much regen that it doesn't even matter.

Duck King

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonSpotlight View Post
No mana for Poppy would be so nice instead of having to ninja Golem or pill constantly.
... I don't even.

If you're going OOM as Poppy often you're doing something hilariously wrong. Let me guess. You use Q for all of your last hits?

NeonSpotlight

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck King View Post
... I don't even.

If you're going OOM as Poppy often you're doing something hilariously wrong. Let me guess. You use Q for all of your last hits?
Laning I don't have problems for it, it's when pushing and fights/ganks start that I find myself having issues manawise, I'm not saying I'm oom constantly however I definitely have to go back more often on Poppy than most champions.

TankHunter678

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck King View Post
... I don't even.

Try constant harassment of Charge and Devestating Blow, using her W on occasion to even get into position, or range before the target changes to location of the charge.

Duck King

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankHunter678 View Post
Try constant harassment of Charge and Devestating Blow, using her W on occasion to even get into position, or range before the target changes to location of the charge.
Maybe if you're spamming all of those at level 3~.

Ternce

07-06-2010

Both Olaf and Tryndamere should use rage instead.

Rage Mechanic wouldn't actually effect anything, but improve their passives so that they don't have to be absolutely murdered to be effective.

Taking damage and scoring critical hits increases rage. Maximum Rage is 100. Rage deplenishes over time.

New abilities would read as follows:

Tryndamere:

Passive: For each 10 rage Tryndamere has, his crit chance increases by 5%.

Bloodrage:
Passive: Tryndamere gains 1/2/3/4/5 bonus damage and 1/2/3/4/5% Critical Strike Damage for each 10 rage he has.
Active: Consumes all rage, healing himself for 10/20/30/40/50 for each 10 rage he has.

Mocking Shout:

Same, but uses rage instead of health cost. 30/25/20/15/10

Spinning Slash:

Same, but uses rage instead of health cost. 30/25/20/15/10

Undying Rage:

Tryndamere becomes immune to death for 4/5/6 seconds, gains 100 rage, and his abilities cost no rage while under the effect of Undying Rage.

Olaf:

Passive: Attack speed increases by 1% for each point of rage Olaf has built.

Undertow:

Same, but costs rage instead of mana. 30/25/20/15/10

Viscious Strikes:

Same, but costs rage instead of mana. 30/30/30/30/30

Reckless Swing:

Olaf deals true damage to both himself and his target equal to 1/2/3/4/5 times his current rage to the target and the amount of his current rage to himself.

Ragnarok:

For 5/6.5/8 seconds, Olaf is immune to disables and gains 25/45/65 damage reduction. His abilities consume no rage during this duration.

Passive: 10/20/30 Armor Penetration