Is malz really that bad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsavo213

07-06-2010

The week malz was free I absolutely dominated with him. Now I know that in high tier elo's people will take cleanse against him but in solo q's right now it seems not many people are taking cleanse they take ghost + ignite. In fact I am usually the only one running cleanse.

So why does the community deem Malz bad when A LOT of players in 5v5 solo q do not run cleanse?

seresibyl

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavo213 View Post
The week malz was free I absolutely dominated with him. Now I know that in high tier elo's people will take cleanse against him but in solo q's right now it seems not many people are taking cleanse they take ghost + ignite. In fact I am usually the only one running cleanse.

So why does the community deem Malz bad when A LOT of players in 5v5 solo q do not run cleanse?
Because it's not just cleanse that makes Mal subpar.

Tsavo213

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by seresibyl View Post
Because it's not just cleanse that makes Mal subpar.
Can you elaborate please?

TouchinMyself

07-06-2010

Malz is very good in TT and any 1v1 situation. In team fights he utterly fails on his face.

Iaw

07-06-2010

Exactly what I was wondering. I really want to buy Mal but people keep saying cleanse wrecks him and I hardly ever see cleanse.

I just played against my first Malz last match and tbqh he seemed kinda weak. He only killed me once during the match because he ulted me next to a turret. But other than that it seemed like his damage was tickling me. Just seems like he can't deal much damage unless he lines up every single spell and the person doesn't have cleanse.

Puppetear

07-06-2010

here is your problem when using malz, you are squishy, and your ult while keeping an opponent in place, also keeps yourself in place, if they dont cleanse it, the other 4 people will just kill you to break the ult. you have no escape skill so early game you are very susceptible to ganks, you have no disable other than your ult, your silence can be dodged. Its not like malzahar is bad in the sense that champions like evelynn is bad (completely useless and will be reworked) rather, malzahar is kinda meh, as a glass cannon goes.

Compare him to Annie, every 5 spell casts, annie gets a stun, she can charge up her stun by using a very mana efficient E, so can go into every fight with a big aoe stun. Malzahar's suppression is channeling, and single target.

annie's minion is tibbers, tibbers does damage, tanks, and is cuddly, malzahar has voidlings, he cant move them and they give opponets gold.

Malzahars aoe is ground target, they can move out, annie's is cone and bursts. Annie even has more survivability cos of her shield, plus her single target can be used to farm without manacost.

So, its not malzahar is bad, its cos theres better alternatives without a ultimate that needs you to be still during its duration.

Negi3

07-06-2010

he is terribad

bane elemental with 50% less health; ult lasts half the duration with almost no range at all

The Tyrant

Adjudicator

07-06-2010

hmm, even without cleanse he is only okay...Without his ult he doesent do enough damage AT ALL compared to other champions. and sure his silence is nice and all...But malz is only good when he has his ult up, and once it is gone he is pretty useless. He kind of reminds me of ryze but worst honestly. at least ryze can stun somewhat often.

TouchinMyself

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tyrant View Post
hmm, even without cleanse he is only okay...Without his ult he doesent do enough damage AT ALL compared to other champions. and sure his silence is nice and all...But malz is only good when he has his ult up, and once it is gone he is pretty useless. He kind of reminds me of ryze but worst honestly. at least ryze can stun somewhat often.
Ryze is much better IMO. Ryze can at least run in burst and run away with a little luck, malz takes way too long to unload and makes an easy target.

It really is a shame too, i like malz he is great during the laning phase with the mana returns and harrass of his E, silence to stop a gank attempt and AOE to kill groups of minions and keep enemies on their toes. Other than that he is just bad.

Its his weak passive and ult that hold him back. A little reworking and he could be pretty good.

Snovalo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2010

Ill buy him, regardless, because he is fun, and can be built to be somewhat useful.