Armor penetration and low armor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

asdbnmrty

10-08-2009

If I have high armor penetration, say 30, and attack someone with low armor, say 10, what would happen?

Would my attacks:
1. Count as though the enemy had 0 armor, dealing full damage.
or
2. Count as though the enemy had -20 armor, dealing extra damage as a percent (negative armor)
or
3. Count as though the enemy had taken extra flat 20 damage, as if my attack was 20 damage higher.

I'm trying to compare armor penetration vrs. armor reduction.

looney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2009

2. Count as though the enemy had -20 armor, dealing extra damage as a percent (negative armor)

The _reduced_ damage is calculated by Armor/(100+Armor). If it is -(minus) it is amplified damage.
So -20/80 = 25% amplified damage.

Graogg

10-08-2009

And what happens when your ArP = their armor + 100...or even close to that? There's more to the equation then that or else some servers will be crashing.

requiescat

10-08-2009

i'm pretty sure armour penetration like from runes only brings enemy armour down to 0, while armour reduction like black cleaver can make armour go negative

asdbnmrty

10-09-2009

ok, so option 3 is slashed out like I thought

But I still dont know if it's 1 or 2, requiescat brings a good point, the point I thought, but it still doesn't seem confirmed

PiousFlea

The Council

10-09-2009

Debuffs can take armor below 0. For example, black cleaver.

Armor Penetration cannot take armor below 0. If someone's Armor is already equal or less than zero, Armor Pen is ignored. So if you already have someone sundered with black cleaver stacks, that Brutalizer is not doing any additional good.

Negative armor increases damage taken by a flat percent. -20 Armor means you take +20% damage. -100 Armor means you take +100% damage.

warmonkey

10-09-2009

Er, I was under the impression that negative values worked just like positive ones -- that is, -50 armor would be +33% damage, while 50 armor is -33% damage