Is this champion viable to join the Fields of Justice?

Yes, and she's fine as is. 4 57.14%
Yes, though she is underpowered. 1 14.29%
Yes, though she is overpowered. 2 28.57%
No, and I want to cut off your ears and sell them. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

{Champion Concept}-Emiko, the Mind's Forge-Pet Mechanic

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azmare

12-02-2011

I am designing this champion to fill in yet another niche that the LoL community seems to want: a pet based champion. As usual, I'm trying to approach this issue in a unique way, making something more memorable than what the expressed desire is. Don't think I can? Then check out...

Emiko, the Mind's Forge

Mage
Melee
Pusher
Support

A foreword on attributes. Emiko's stats are LOW. This IS intentional. She is meant to rely heavily on her pet (which has higher stats). The pet's attributes will be listed under the ability.

Health - 300+50/level (1200 at 18)
Health Regen - 1+.1/level/5 secs (2.8/5 secs at 18)
Energy - 200
Energy Regen - 50/5 secs
Attack Damage - 24+2/level (60 at 18)
Ability Power - 0
Speed - 300
Armor - 6+3/level (60 at 18)
Magic Resist - 30

Before I begin the ability entry, let me explain why this character is unique. Not only does this champion depend upon her pet for most endeavors, but the way she casts and maintains spells is also... different. This is a mage champion that is energy based, but instead of having flat energy costs with flat duration effects, most of her abilities are toggle abilities with an upkeep cost per second instead of an initial cost. I chose to make her an energy champ instead of a mana champ because with a high mana regen/mana pool, it would be possible to simply keep her toggles on indefinitely (and no one likes a right click to win champ). Lastly, cooldowns on the abilities begin after they are toggled off. Back to the abilities

Phantasm
-Passive-
Emiko has a permanent pet which is drawn forth and maintained from the power of her mind. This pet is treated as a champion in all respects (turret targeting AI, aggro from attacking a champ near their minion wave, etc...), but does not grant gold if it is killed. When killed, it grants 100g and remains dead for the same period of time that a champion its level would remain dead, respawning behind Emiko when this time has elapsed. Phantasm is leashed to Emiko's mind, only able to go up to 750 range away from her and dies if she dies. Attribute scaling is based off of Emiko's level and Ability Power.

Health - 360+80/level+1 AP (1800+Emiko's AP at 18)
Health Regen - 1.25+.1/level/5 secs (3.05/5 secs at 18)
Attack Damage - 50+3.5/level+.1 AP (113+10% Emiko's AP at 18)
Speed - 300+5/level (390 at 18)
Armor - 15+3.5/level+.1 AP (78+10% Emiko's AP at 18)
Magic Resist - 15+3.5/level+.1 AP (78+10% Emiko's AP at 18)
*Appearance - Phantasm is a large hunched beast made of wisps of green energy with some neon orange highlights*

Cerebral Arsenal
-Q Toggle-
Upkeep - 12 energy/sec
Cooldown - 12 secs
Initial - Phantasm lunges forward (range 250) attacking all enemies he collides with dealing an extra +20/40/60/80/100 damage (in addition to his normal AD). All damage dealt with this initial effect is considered magic damage.
Sustained Emiko - Emiko gains range 425 for her melee attacks and adds .02/.04/.06/.08/.1 AP to her AD.
Sustained Phantasm - Phantasm gains .025/.05/.075/.1/.125 Emiko's AP to his AD (this is in addition to the base).
*Appearance - Emiko gains a green energy bow/Phantasm gains large orange claws*

Telepathic Sheath
-W Toggle-
Upkeep - 12 energy/sec
Cooldown - 12 secs
Initial - Phantasm gains a shield that absorbs 30/60/90/120/150(.5 Emiko's AP) damage. This shield doesn't go away until the damage is absorbed or Telepathic Sheath is toggled off.
Sustained Emiko - Emiko adds .02/.04/.06/.08/.1 AP to her AR and MR.
Sustained Phantasm - Phantasm gains .025/.05/.075/.1/.125 Emiko's AP to his AR and MR
*Appearance - Emiko gains ghostly green platemail/Phantasm gains an orange exoskeleton*

Mental Siege
-E Toggle-
Upkeep - 24 energy/sec
Cooldown - 24 secs
Range - 500
Sustained - Creates a Tower that follows normal Tower AI (note that this turret will NOT attack Towers, but Towers will prioritize attacking it as though it were a pet). This tower does not grant gold if destroyed. Attribute scaling is based off of Skill rank and Emiko's AP.
Sustained Phantasm - Phantasm will not instantly provoke turret aggro if he attacks an enemy champion under an enemy turret (though he will still be attacked if he is the last target within the turret's range as normal).

Health - 100/200/300/400/500+.25 AP
Magic Damage - 40/55/70/85/100+.2 AP
Attack Range - 500
Armor - 10/15/20/25/30+.1 AP
Magic Resist - 10/15/20/25/30+.1 AP
*Appearance - Tower is wispy and green with orange highlights/Phantasm's appearance becomes more wispy and translucent*

Psychic Armory
-R Activated-
Upkeep - See Below
Cooldown - 120/90/60
Range - 500 radius
When this skill is activated, the next skill Emiko uses is applied to all allied champions within range as though they were Phantasm (Sustained effects only, not the initial effects). As long as that skill is toggled on, this effect lasts. While that skill is upgraded, its upkeep cost is improved by 1.5. Emiko does not benefit from this skill.
*Appearance - Cerebral Arsenal - allies get a green and orange aura around their hands. Telepathic Sheath - allies get a green and orange aura around their body. Mental Siege - allies become translucent (as though they were stealthed *does not actually apply stealth*)*

*It has been suggested that Emiko is too much of a sitting duck and is too fragile. While this was intentional, I think I may have gone a bit overboard with it (read Flintlock's post on page 2). I don't want to raise her stats because of other players' concerns, but I propose improving the range of control on Phantasm to 1000 (think Cait's Q) and allowing him to share all buffs/pots. Let me know what you think on your reply.

Tips
-Judiciously choose when to have your abilities active: having an ability toggled on too long drains both your energy and prevents you from utilizing it's initial effect for a time.
-Remember that most of your damage comes from Phantasm, so do your best to keep him from getting killed needlessly.
-Use Psychic Armory immediately prior to any large teamfight.

Playing Against
-When fighting against Emiko, focus fire her rather than Phantasm.
-If Emiko activates Mental Siege, try to change the locale of the combat--this ability has a lengthy cooldown and is stationary.
-Remember that even though Emiko is a mage, a lot of the damage she deals is physical damage, don't neglect your armor.

Appearance/Lore

This section I usually leave to anyone who visits. As a rough idea, she is an Ionian who trained as an ascetic. Rather than perfecting her body like most monks though, she perfected her mind. I picture her with an appearance similar to Akali with an outlandish asymmetrical attire. She uses a glowing green sword whenever her bow isn't active.

So that's that, let me know what you think about this champ concept. I want the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Changelog
12-5 - New Ultimate and added gold reward when Phantasm is killed.

Photomancer

12-02-2011

This is certainly a unique take on the pet-based champion concept. I like the idea of the pet being treated as a champion, but why then should it not grant gold when it's killed? Heimerdinger's turrets grant about as much gold as a standard minion. Since the phantasm is much more difficult to kill, it should provide somewhere between 50 and 150 gold depending on Emiko's level. Similarly, the tower should give some gold reward for tactically destroying it. The champion as a whole seems intricately detailed and maybe too difficult for new summoners to pick up on, but the skill ceiling is high enough to be fun for advanced players.

l Jaraxxus l

12-02-2011

I like everything but the R. For such a pet dependent champ I don't think you should just be killing it off like that. Maybe take out the explosion and pet sac and just have it be switching places with the health/shield?

Veral42

12-02-2011

This is a really interesting mage, and I think the judicious use of energy instead of mana was the correct decision to make in this case. I think that the pet mechanic work very well, and that the benefits you derive from having the pet in this case wouldn't be overly substantial. My first suggestion though would be for stats to scale with like stats from Emiko, rather than all just scaling from AP. This serves to add some degree of responsibility to the player, and gives them a bit more creativity with their builds since each build will also alter the pet appropriately. The "Q" ability is interesting and I like both the initial and sustained effects that the ability has. In terms of scaling, I feel that the scale is appropriate for the benefits derived from the ability. The same can be said for the "W" ability. It's has straightforward effects for both it's active and sustained and is scaled in an appropriate fashion. "E" is probably one of the most amusing spells that I've seen in a while, and I feel that the way the turret's stats are balanced without making them overwhelming at any stage (though it might trigger a panic button in an opponent's head and could lead to some interesting gank setups that I think would add a large amount of depth to competitive play. Sadly, I can't give this entire champion a positive review at the moment. The "R" ability doesn't fit in the slightest with how the character seems oriented to work. The only time this skill would be useful is when your pet is about to die to give a final burst of damage, but using it will teleport Emiko into the middle of the fray with next to no health so you can feed the opponent! Somehow, this seems counter-intuitive to the objective of LoL. I would not, however, suggest going further down the route of Emiko's "E" ability. Her central mechanism is her pet, complimented by "Q" and "W". Continue to compliment it with her "R", but just simply in another fashion... perhaps some kind of ability that uses the detonation mechanic to make Phantasm explode and deal damage while stunning the opponent and having a scaling rrespawn rate (maybe something like 12/10/8 seconds).

I posted the link to my index in your Review for review thread, so when you get a chance hit me up with another review for one of them. preferably either for Alexandria or Cyrus, since I've gotten at least a bit of feedback on Kalus, but feel free to review whichever sounds most interesting

Azmare

12-02-2011

Thank you for the feedback so far. I will take most of this advice; adding a gold reward when Phantasm is killed and reworking Psychic Substitution. I will say one note on Psychic Substitution however: this spell is meant to be a last ditch effort to get away if you are being focused (your hp becomes Phantasm's, making this a potential max heal/escape move) or to finish off a fleeing opponent when you aren't in any immediate danger. Will put down an alternative ultimate move with Veral42's detonation-with-recuced-respawn-rate idea. It sounds interesting.

Veral, the feedback was very good, I will review all 3 of those champs

YeZombie

12-02-2011

The whole concept is definitely unique, i enjoy it very much.
However, here are some problems:

The tower making skill, E, will it be able to move? or is it stationary?

For making Emiko a pet-based champion, using R to destroy her own pet is kind of a handicap considering her base stats already suck. I know that she can grab items to get a beefier build, yet i still think it's not a good idea because if Phantasm is dead, Q does nothing damage wise for emiko alone, W does nothing to damage enemies, and the tower seems pretty easy to kill at early levels.

The pet should be Emiko's R with the QWE spells affecting enemies instead of just using Phantasm to damage people. The passive is very OP at level 1, meaning in lane of 2v2 there will be 3v2 because the pet is basically another champ. Even if Emiko would solo top lane in a jungle case for both teams, she'd be 2v1 because of the pet. Also, if it's 2v1 it puts the enemy champ at a huge disadvantage because you could use Emiko to farm and the pet to keep the enemy champ at bay, because when Phantasm dies nothing really happens besides the enemy champ gaining some exp (if any).

That's just my opinion, of course
Very nice concept, needs some work to make her less destructive early game

LtSheitzah

12-02-2011

good but i feel the dependency on the pet makes me just wanna rush the main champ >.>. what if they played off of each other like how Karma has some of her abilities based off of allies. And you have to give gold for killing it, Annie's bear gets gold, also making a turret probably isnt fair, talk about turtling at tower with this ability :/ Unless the turrent is small like Heirms, but if u mean like a tower then ya.... >.<

Misaka 9982

12-02-2011

I was kinda wondering what the range she can control Phantasm is? It might be an issue if u can control him from across the map XD. Also, it seems that the champion itself, as stated above, is a bit of a sitting duck. :/

Veral42

12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSheitzah View Post
good but i feel the dependency on the pet makes me just wanna rush the main champ >.>. what if they played off of each other like how Karma has some of her abilities based off of allies. And you have to give gold for killing it, Annie's bear gets gold, also making a turret probably isnt fair, talk about turtling at tower with this ability :/ Unless the turrent is small like Heirms, but if u mean like a tower then ya.... >.<
I don't feel like this would be that big of an issue for a couple of reasons. First off, the tower's damage isn't that large, and towers don't have a fast speed of attack. The biggest benefit to this ability isn't it's turtling function, but rather the ability to have Phantasm to break opponents from turtling. In truth, the turret itself would be fairly simple to burn down for enemy champions, and its constant hefty energy cost keep it from really being abused.

Azmare

12-02-2011

Valid feedback and concerns. Allow me to explain answers to a couple of these posts.

YeZombie, the turret is stationary, so you can only choose a new location once the ability has been toggled back on. The R will be going a remake as of tomorrow. Lastly, if you look at Emiko and Phantasm's stats, you'll notice that the 2v1 issue won't be felt so severely. Emiko is approximately equivalent to 1/3 of a champion statwise, and her pet is approximately equivalent to 2/3 of a champion statwise early game. Lategame, Emiko's AP provides bonuses to all of Phantasm's stats, but this is because Phantasm can't shop, he needs the extra stat potential from somewhere. If this explanation still makes it seem unfair, I will change it, just let me know...

LtSheitzah, rushing Emiko is by far the best way to kill her and end her damage. As Veral also noted later, the turrets that she creates are energy intensive, fragile, and deal low damage. They are meant more as something to drop in a teamfight that will allow her to deal some nonpet damage. Also, I am changing Phantasm to drop gold when killed.

Gakilroth, the range of control is 750. This is just a tiny bit longer than a Caitlyn autoattack. The idea was to make the champion a sitting duck though. Successful use of this champion will involve playing keep away with Emiko while manipulating the pet. The R is her only self-saving skill: it allows her to port to Phantasm's location and possibly heal all of her health back (along with causing an explosion).