Karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerdrage

10-04-2009

I've never had a problem playing karthus. You can't spam lay waste for 5 minutes straight, OH DAMN. Next time I can't spam my spells on a character every time they're off cooldown I'll complain that they're underpowered too.

I still play karthus, and still do fine. Building a tear early then rushing rod of ages while focusing on last hits with lay waste on top of the extra mana from zhonyas later and any other items one may choose nowadays is usually enough to stay in a fight. Been thinking about dropping a bit of earlier on AP for the chalice on a regen page, but I haven't gotten to a point where I needed it yet.

Khajios

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2009

Ill agree he was nerfed a bit harder then needed, but hes not terrible or anything. He just can never expect to have enough mana anymore
To be fair though, earlier, I would run around and just not bother turning off defile most of the time, you really didn't need to. Now? I'm lucky to score a kill going against someone who is half dead because not only do I run out of mana, I spent all my money trying to prevent my self from running out of mana, so I do less damage. Reducing the cost by just a small amount would probably make it fine, or maybe giving it a slightly better ap ratio, and we can all pretend we wont stack 6 ap items then.

I can't complain too much about lay waste, but hey, maybe we can get a shorter cooldown? lol
If only it didn't have one, haha. Can you picture how angry people would get when they see that one lay waste explode 23 times, killing them?

I actually started laughing after his last nerf when I ran out of mana constantly and couldn't figure out why, I thought the other team was mana draining me without me noticing.

Motas

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdrage View Post
I've never had a problem playing karthus. You can't spam lay waste for 5 minutes straight, OH DAMN. Next time I can't spam my spells on a character every time they're off cooldown I'll complain that they're underpowered too.

I still play karthus, and still do fine. Building a tear early then rushing rod of ages while focusing on last hits with lay waste on top of the extra mana from zhonyas later and any other items one may choose nowadays is usually enough to stay in a fight. Been thinking about dropping a bit of earlier on AP for the chalice on a regen page, but I haven't gotten to a point where I needed it yet.
I've played more matches with him, you are right, I was over reacting, sure, I can't spam his spells anymore, but he's not completely worthless.

HowlingKommando

10-04-2009

Karthus is still decent, but really only most effective when played alongside good teammates.

Both his Ult and Wall of Pain require good allies to really make the most of them.

I still find him most dangerous when going for lots of AP and relying on Golem and Base for Mana. A high mana Karthus tends to be just an observer that throws a Wall and Ult every so often, whereas a high damaging Karthus won't fight as long, but can still bring the pain.

HappyCamper

10-16-2009

nah he's not nerfed i use him every match

Pharmacologist

10-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
I haven't seen a Karthus in so long since his huge nerf in two consecutive patches (wtc Riot, what was wrong with him ).

He was my alltime favorite hero when I first started in June. Now he's been destroyed.

Now I'm wondering if he's even worth picking up and trying to play again. If so:

1) what item builds are u guys using.

2) should my runepage ba all mana regen?

3) any other suggestions

4) am I the only one thinking it was totally unfair

Srry for the thread, its champion feedback and strategy at the same time
Plz help me out

-Motas
Karthus is still VERY viable. And I'm playing in a pretty high bracket.

Tips:
Runes - magic penetration, AP, health

Spell pen + your wall is a pretty strong damage increase against anyone who isn't stacking huge amounts of MR. Incidentally, if you're playing karthus, I encourage you to get a team that doesn't have many other AP "nuker" champions

Summoner spells - teleport (super important, fixes your early game mana prob), flash or improved exhaust, flash to escape, exhaust to make someone an easy lay waste spam target with even more reduced magic resist

Item build - tear, catalyst (mana problems not so big at this point) --> rod of ages, mejaj, finish arch staff, do what you please if game drags on (zhonya, lich bane). I build this way because karthus unlike other nukers has sustained damage, so keeping him alive is semi-important (and the post death cast time is only even more time to do damage). He also needs huge amounts of mana. This build also does NOT gimp his AP. Doing 75% the damage of a hard AP build but staying alive another 15 seconds to do it = a much more effective champion.

Other really helpful things - Get your team to get you golem and solo mid. You will be absolutely dominant at level 1 if you are good at lay waste. And you hitting 6 early really limits options for enemies in other lanes, as low health = dead. Try to always hit 1 champion at a time with lay waste. Its overall dps and AP coefficient per second is enormous when used this way.

Keep melee champions at arm's reach. Learning to kite melee will greatly enhance your karthus game. The trick is to keep them right inside the aura circle while still leading them with lay waste as you retreat.

Don't be afraid to die. When I'm playing Karthus against good premades I tend to have both high kills and high deaths. Get right in the middle of the action and force the enemy to respond. Obviously this is only true if you have teammates you can trust.