Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A newbie's guide to everything Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rionize

12-01-2011

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
i don't know if it's something you'd want to discuss in your guide, but something i've noticed is that newer players tend to disregard the value of fog of war on crystal scar.

i guess the topic can get messy since there are a lot of really specific examples of what's beneficial and what's not, but overall i think it's something new players aren't even thinking about.

(fog of war image attached just in case.)

I'm glad someones mentioned the fog of war cause i rarely ever see people use those little strips around the outer ring of the map to go behind and trap back cappers, instead of just going from in front and giving them a heads up that you're coming.

Cobber

12-01-2011

Quote:
ricklessabandon:

i like this guide a lot--it does a good job covering the
i think the 2-1-2 opening strat is a lot more powerful than you seem to give it credit for, but it's seen way less often so it's not a big deal.

I've always been a huge fan of the 2-1-2 starts. or 3-1-1 start where the person who is either sent to help bottom or capturing your teams middle point immediately goes to the enemies middle point as a distraction. (usually this would be a champion who is capable of holding of more than one enemy alone at early levels. Whether it be due to being tanky or having good poking/escape/heal abilities. eg; Shaco, Udyr or Nidalee [I've never personally tried it with Heimerdinger])
I'm sure that organised teams would be able to counter this kind of thing very effectively, and there'd be times when it is simply not a viable choice, but personally I am queuing alone or with a single friend most of the time when playing Dominion and it's just something I like doing.
Admittedly, me doing this causes my team to lose the top point (if no-one comes back to stop me mid capture and my team still ends up on a 3-2 capture point lead) and sometimes completely fails where we cannot recapture top or their bottom while the enemy is dealing with the person middle.

Just curious to what your thoughts are on this kind of starting strategy.

/edit: attached image of my most recent game using this strategy. It was my first time using Xerath.
(It panned out that I went to, and captured, our middle point and headed to theirs, as they had already captured the windmill, and captured it. they sent three to kill me.)

i'll edit with a better image later, have to get ready for work now though..

Nekrogen

12-02-2011

Quote:
ACL David:
I've always been a huge fan of the 2-1-2 starts. or 3-1-1 start where the person who is either sent to help bottom or capturing your teams middle point immediately goes to the enemies middle point as a distraction. (usually this would be a champion who is capable of holding of more than one enemy alone at early levels. Whether it be due to being tanky or having good poking/escape/heal abilities. eg; Shaco, Udyr or Nidalee [I've never personally tried it with Heimerdinger])
I'm sure that organised teams would be able to counter this kind of thing very effectively, and there'd be times when it is simply not a viable choice, but personally I am queuing alone or with a single friend most of the time when playing Dominion and it's just something I like doing.
Admittedly, me doing this causes my team to lose the top point (if no-one comes back to stop me mid capture and my team still ends up on a 3-2 capture point lead) and sometimes completely fails where we cannot recapture top or their bottom while the enemy is dealing with the person middle.

Just curious to what your thoughts are on this kind of starting strategy.

/edit: attached image of my most recent game using this strategy. It was my first time using Xerath.
(It panned out that I went to, and captured, our middle point and headed to theirs, as they had already captured the windmill, and captured it. they sent three to kill me.)

i'll edit with a better image later, have to get ready for work now though..

I sort of mention this in the guide, but generally it isn't a good idea to backcap when enemies are respawning and/or on their way to kill you when you are alone just because you aren't really providing any solid ground for your team (which you really do need in the early stages). I half mention this strategy in the mixing it up portion, but I also say it isn't a fantastic idea especially since they can easily reverse the 1 person who was capping their mid to come back at you with the speed buff. It works against newer teams who aren't aware of their surroundings though.

Nekrogen

12-02-2011

Fog of war section added. Again I'm not 100% in-tune with top lane specific FoW areas, but I provided what I could. Please feel free to make any suggestions in that respect.

Dongfang Bubai

Master Recruiter

12-02-2011

well done +1 wow

krammitheforg

12-02-2011

The fog of war, imo, is sometimes underutilized in dominion.

In particular, I find it a good idea to get out of the enemies vision when you blue pill (unless time is of the essence, or your health is so low it is obvious you are backing). This serves the purpose of making the other team guess as to whether you've backed or not. Instead of them *knowing* you are not defending the point, it at least gives them a risk of the point being defended, possibly delaying their push.

You also might find you can bait the other team to the closest hostile / neutral tower (usually windmill) by staying close but just out of vision. If you are capable of defending the tower, this means their time is wasted running and skirmishing with you instead of ganking bot or back-dooring middle.

Finally, the purple spot in your map (on the enemies side) is a good place to pick up some quick kills, and delay the enemy. With the right team composition (good cc and/or burst damage) and the good enemy team composition (not super tanky) you can catch people grabbing the speed buff and going windmill or middle. You should usually only do this if you have three caps, and you obviously shouldn't do it all the time as it somewhat relies on surprise to work. As long as you don't commit to an even or unfavorable fight (and run when it is), this tactic is probably safer than trying to force the issue at their middle.

OT: It would be nice if Riot could add headings (h1, h2, h3) to the wysiwyg editor. Might make longer guides like this more readable.

Sauron

12-02-2011

Quote:
krammitheforg:
OT: It would be nice if Riot could add headings (h1, h2, h3) to the wysiwyg editor. Might make longer guides like this more readable.

The highlight tag is also allowed.

Nekrogen

12-02-2011

Quote:
Sauron:
The highlight tag is also allowed.

You and you're knowledge of the forums. I'll see if I can highlight some important keywords/phrases XD.

mufins

12-03-2011

some opinionated notes on the champs listed.

poppy: is ban worthy because of her passive. their are plenty of champs that do similar burst and others that have immunes or insane defense steroids but none have the god given innate survivability poppy has where she can build pure glass cannon and still be consistently tanky.

rammus/shaco/eve: i consider these free wins when i play against them. map awareness and abilities that stall a roamer from capping (globals, kog ult etc..) are what counter them. if they built themselves for capping points and their not capping anything, they are dead weight for their team.

Ezreal: i got a quadra on ezreal once. didn't know it was possible to get a penta in dominion lol. He's extremely good in the initial windmill fight and often is the reason it is won or lost.

Malzahar: right now, the biggest sleeper champ in dominion imo. His E is the best bot lane pushing ability in the game. You cast it once, make yourself a sandwich, and come back to a lane pushed to their tower.

Lameador

12-04-2011

I didn't like it at first, but now this is very helpfull for new players.
Some things I would change.

a) I feel the guide talks too much about the first 3 minutes of the game (the windmill fight and else) And I think its as important as 3 minutes into 20 is....

b) You go too deep into bottom making it feel like it's super important, and I don't agree it is, I think its naturally biased on the fact that Nekrogen is a only bottom player. In my opinion though he attaches himself too much too bottom and that generates several loses for him, specially when he is against players that exploit this, lately I have seen reacting slightly better to that and in consecuence being a little more dynamic, but I still see that problem in his play.

c) You name Kog maw and as a common ban, But I don't think it it's common, and really not useful.

On the "not common but usefull bans"I dont think really any of those is usefull at all, with the notable exception of vayne.

MAYBE Malzahar is usefull if you plan to get Urgot, as I feel malzahar is one of the very few champ that is more usefull than a creep against him in the first 6 minutes of the game.

d) Also I disagree about the lack of relevance given to team composition. Teams need AT LEAST 1 Tank/bruiser that can facecheck and initate in the jungle. and having 1 range DPS is extremly advantageous. having some good Assasin is important to burst people , specially squishies.

Also I wanted to note I think CV is under appreciated and quite better than people think.