A newbie's guide to everything Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taenaryn

01-02-2012

I know it's already a wall of text, but I think another section would be helpful: Quick Tips. Things like:

* You only need one champ to cap a point. Unless speed is of the essence, leave your partner to finish capping and go help out somewhere else.
* If there are two enemies trying to cap a neutral turret, you are better served trying to cap it yourself to interrupt them rather than do damage to each one if you have no AoE abilities (I know you mentioned it, but it's a really handy tip that might reach more new players if it's on its own)
* When speed is needed, and two or more champs are capping a point or neutralizing it, never stand on top of each other. All it takes is one good Ezreal, Gangplank or Pantheon Ult or something like it to stop you and possibly kill you both.
* Travel in packs if you can. Dying one at a time does nothing but feed the enemy.
* If you are not needed in a fight, and the enemy has a Rammus or a stealther, head to your undefended point. Chances are, that's where the enemy is going.
* Defense is important. Pushing while defending is more important. Make them work to keep their two points or you will lose one of your three.
* You're not running away from those two champs. You're keeping them busy while your team goes to cap the enemy point. Bonus points if you drag them to your allies and net the kills.
* See previous point: Don't chase. Cap the point instead. Chances are the enemy will come back to prevent capping and you can kill them.
* Don't chase #2: Shaco and Teemo will run to their trap. Smart enemies will run to their teammates. Death is the usual result.
* Awareness. Look at the minimap often and always press your tab key when you die to look at the enemy's build.
* Minions are your friends. They cap and neutralize very effectively, and can't be interrupted short of CC or death. If you can't take the enemy point yourself, then build a big pile of friendly minions to neutralize it for you before initiating combat.

There is also a decent article at http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/dominion-guide-roles-and-teamwork-updating-130367 that describes certain roles (capturer, disrupter, defender, taker, with a few honourable mentions such as Slayer and Support) and evaluates many champions at their ability to fill each role. The guide is said to be a work in progress, but hasn't yet been updated to reflect that Warmog's and Priscilla's are both out of Dominion. However, he is adding more champions to the list of evaluated champs. (Edit: He *was* updating it. Now it's archived. Still possibly a good read).

Highlights of that link:

* Capturer - take the enemy's point, don't die in doing it. Champs with high mobility, CC, and Stealth or escape mechanisms are best at this (Rammus, Twitch, Teemo, Evelynn, Shaco, etc).
* Disrupter - disrupts the enemy's capture. Champs with burst and long-range or global ults (Nocturne, Ezreal, Gangplank, Pantheon, etc) excel here.
* Taker - kill the defender and steal the point. Long-range and burst is key here, usually they are good disrupters too. (Kog'maw, Xerath, Anivia, Leblanc, etc)
* Defender - Hold the point against all comers. Tankyness, farming, AoE, CC. Good champs are Maokai, Singed, Heimerdinger, Soraka, Vladimir, Skarner, etc.

He recommends 1 disrupter, one defender, one capturer, and 3 takers (where he points out that someone in one role often serves well in another role). He has recommended items, summoner spells, and builds for each role, and like I said, evaluates each champ he can when built for that role. He also has several strategies in addition to the usual 4 top 1 bot strat.

Bender2999

01-02-2012

Awesome guide... not sure how I managed to miss this until today.

caseyjones

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-09-2012

donno why this isn't stickied.

Greyfauxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

If I want to Wreck the bot laner, I start with a phage on any gap closer. Lee sin is the best so far. The movement allows you to abuse the health packs, you start with decent health and your slow and movement abilities usually stomp the other guy. His E is great against Stealth guys, its basicly a free sweeper. I'm callin it. Lee sin the sleeper OP on DOM.

Nekrogen

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfauxx View Post
If I want to Wreck the bot laner, I start with a phage on any gap closer. Lee sin is the best so far. The movement allows you to abuse the health packs, you start with decent health and your slow and movement abilities usually stomp the other guy. His E is great against Stealth guys, its basicly a free sweeper. I'm callin it. Lee sin the sleeper OP on DOM.
Lee Sin is actually insanely good bottom lane, but yeah not many people do this. He's really good, but once people wise up to it, it won't be that spectacular. I've beaten Lee Sin bottom lane as Ryze and Jarvan, and I'm sure a bunch of other tanky deeps could handle him.

Nekrogen

01-11-2012

Updated some of the bans. Moved Skarner down from usually banned to uncommon. He's still extremely dangerous, but is only banned situationally I think.

Nekrogen

02-14-2012

Seeing a lot of new faces recently; bumping for some more visibility.

EMeta

02-15-2012

Can we get a sticky on this?

Rick, can you do that?

Nekrogen

02-15-2012

I moved Warwick up from uncommon bans because.. well.. he is being commonly banned since his recent buffs. His damage output is a little rediculous, and he can still tank like a boss; he's very hard to kill.

Sauron

02-15-2012

Clairvoyance: You've seen it nao.