Raiken, the Iaijutsu Master

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3pitaph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2011

why does having ki charges matter?

Azmare

12-05-2011

Ki charges are what limits how much he can use his ult. (no cd)

Azmare

12-06-2011

Updated the abilities and added stats... I need a hand with the lore and especially the art.

I pictured him as a noble from Ionia, but beyond that, I'm not sure what reason I'd give him to join the league...

FelixKam

12-06-2011

Hello Azmare, I'm back!

I'll be writing in the same format, and will post my response to your reply:

1) I'm glad to see that you posted the stats, however the base mana, and health regenerations' are too low, and the increase per level for them are too high.. You'll need to change them to fight in with the rest of Riot's champions.
3) He may be able to execute 10 consecutive dashes but then the mana cost would also be amazingly high, but i do suppose it is now more balanced, so no complaints here.
4) Glad you explained it so thank you for that. It now makes much more sense.
6) Glad you explained it, no other comments about that matter.
7) So... when will you be posting up the completed lore? Also as to why he enters the League, you could do it as a matter of personal honour, and pride (He is like a noble man after all.)

Good luck with future endeavors! And also I'm now reviewing this thread out of interest, so any reviews from here on will definitely not count towards your "This-for-That" reviews.

Azmare

12-07-2011

Well hello again FelixKam. To address your concerns... I'm not really sure what you mean about the regen rates being off. His hp regen rate is almost an exact duplicate of Katarina's (it is slightly less) and his mana regen is less than Trundle's. These are the stats I took from the Champions tab on the League of Legends homepage (though, it doesn't say whether that's per 5 secs or no).

His lore will be coming soon. I'm designing one last champion right now (I watched Star Wars and got inspired; why does no one have a force choke?). After I finish my next telekinetic mage, I'll be going back and adding lore to this guy, Emiko, and Louis.

I don't mind if this counts towards my This for That-reviews thread. I use that to generate some hype for my champs and get to review others as well (though I still review other champs as a hobby myself).

If you have more champs, link them up I enjoy going over them any time I don't feel like playing LoL proper.

FelixKam

12-07-2011

Well in that case, if you ever find the time for it I would like you to post my newest champion concept. It is for a contest, so thanks in advance Just to warn you, it's fairly long and detailed, as are most of my concepts, so it may take a while to read fully...

Valas, The Assassin of Shadows
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1566543

Also it is not all posted, some flavour text is yet to be done... (Champion Relations, the quotes, the skins, the animations, and the recommended item build)

And my response to what you have written down is that:
1) Katarina has a base health regeneration of 6.95 (+0.55 per level), and Trundle has a base mana regeneration of 6.9 (+0.6)... Assuming per 5 seconds. Yours are (at per 5 seconds) Health Regeneration: 7 (+5.5 per level), and a Mana Regeneration of 6.25 (+0.625 per level). So I can conclude that the health regeneration is fine, but the mana regeneration will require much more fine tuning.

BlackStar747

12-07-2011

That passive is a thing of beauty..the only thing i would change is his appearance...i picture him as less of flowing robes of a noble..and more like battle robes...kinda like (for lack of a better comparison) sage naruto mixed w/ an espada)....and im kinda confused as to how the sheathes would stack w/ his r...would they simply instantly sheath after an ability?? (e.g. use lightnig dash while at 9 charges and instant sheath and count down to 8) or activated?? (e.g. if sword is unsheathed and an ability is used press r and sword is sheathed and counts go from 9-8) hope those questions got my point across

Veral42

12-08-2011

Hey there Azmare! Sorry it took me so **** long to get to this, but better late than never! The first few things I noticed:
Base Stats: Health Regen, Armor, and Movement Speed are all out of wack with the type of character you're proposing. Speed should be around 315, Health Regen scales to high for almost every character in the game, Armor out-dates natural armor of most tank characters.
"Passive": Ok. No. This needs to be reworked badly. I'm fine with AP bonus damage, but it's a passive and not an ability. Having "equal to .1 AP (int: AD) magic damage (hint: physical damage) would be much more balanced.
"Q": I like this ability and the numbers seem to be just fine... most of them until you got to the part about + (.5 AP) magic damage. I really feel like this should be AD scale and physical damage; otherwise, you should scale the AP down a TON (.25 AP) since it can be cast again if the sword was sheathed.
"W": Same issues as the "Q". Might change scale to .45 AP (.5 AD) magic damage (physical damage).
"E": This ability is trying to do so much... why is it such a mess at the moment? There are far to many effect being tacked on for having previously not done anything but running to the fight (presumably from buying after farming champion kills)? I might say something along the lines of 50 extra bonus damage and having the armor shred apply to MRes is fine, but again... (hint: physical damage).
"R": I don't even know where to begin... this ability has NO LISTED EFFECT other than stacking charges that DO NOTHING! Really, it sounds like it could be neat... but what does it do, and why isn't there a cooldown (guessing you may want to list it, even if it is a natural global cooldown eg: .5 seconds)?
Overall: Um... I'm confused. We already have melee mages, but there's no reason for this guys damage to be magical other than out of convenience and to accommodate fancy ability names. All of his abilities are out of whack (ie: to powerful with scaling) and should really be physical damage, especially if you're depicting everything being about a dude with a sword. Like I said above as well, base stats are a tad bit off, but not awful, and "R" needs to have some kind of function... yea. That being said (it sounded harsh, didn't it?) this sounds like it'll be a really cool champion after it gets fixed up. I like the core function of the ability, and everything else aside you could easily increase the ranges to 300 after fixing the scale.

I reposted my index link in your review 4 review thread so you can find mine as well. I'll get to your other 2 tonight.

Shazboticus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2011

Azmare,

Really, really like the concept you got going here. Burst is nothing new, but the way your champion utilizes burst is very unique and conceptually awesome. Normally I don't like champions centered around their ultimate---as this one appears to be---but some liberties can be taken when a champion has as unique of an ultimate as this. Let's run down the skills:

Passive -- At first I didn't like this passive. Why? It's very similar to Shen's. True, Shen's passive activates more when he's hurt (emphasizing his Taunt ability and the very nature of being a tank) and he does damage based on bonus health, while your passive has an additional parameter of having it triggered upon ability-use and instead of damage through bonus health it does magic damage that scales with AP. They're different, but in practice they both rely on not attacking(and for yours not to use an ability) so you can be rewarded with doing more damage next hit.

That being said, Sheath embodies your champ that Ki Strike can only dream of doing for Shen. Sheath is utilized so much by your ability-set that I want to call Ki Strike a cheap knockoff version. I love it. Aside from the praise, Sheath mechanically defines your hero exactly. It's all about the burst, man. Maybe the numbers should be changed (I don't know and don't really care too much) but the concept works perfectly for this hero. Keep as is.

Lightning Dash and Move As Shadow -- I put these abilities in the same category for two reasons. They both invoke one trait: mobility. Don't get me wrong, mobility is great but I find two abilities that increase mobility overkill. I love how the cooldown is reduced and more damage is dealt when the sword is sheath, that's totally fine, but I think one of these abilities should change.

So which one should you change? To be honest, I could see either one being changed. I feel like there are already too many dash-like skills in the game and while I understand their usefulness and purpose I still hate to see so many abilities nowadays use the dash mechanic so often. On the other hand, I like how your dash hurts everyone you charge through. That's pretty unique (and themey) and I can't think of a champion that does that already (I could be wrong, just nothing comes to mind).

Move as Shadow is unique in the sense that it "homes-in" on the target, I like that. Urgot has that already but it doesn't bring himself to enemy which adds a whole other dimension. Again, my qualms is that your character already has a traversal ability -- Lightning Dash.

Ultimately, it depends on how far these abilities make the character travel but even then that's questionable. I see the purpose for two mobility abilities as Raiken has no capability of slowing a champ down; meaning, he must burst as much as possible in a short amount of time. The reason I call it "questionable" is because of the nature of your passive + ult, you'll be able to spam Move As Shadow and Lightning Dash so that chasing shouldn't be a problem. Who needs a slow when a champion can never get away?

Strike from Void -- An ability that makes use of Raiken's passive magic damage. It's good and certainly helpful. Not the most exciting, though. I feel it follows LoL's trend of rehashing previously established mechanics (like dash or point blank area of effect abilities such as Malphite's Ground Slam) so the champion is considered well-designed and avoids potential imbalance issues. It's the safer route but it's also more boring. But hey, when E-Sports are as big as they are now and millions of $$$ are involved, I guess the safe route is necessary. Overall, Strike from Void is good just not my favorite ability.

One Strike, Two Cuts -- What can I say about this ultimate? I love its design. The mechanic is different and the scaling limitation is spot on. Using charges as means of limiting burst potential...very clever. It would be exciting to see CD reduction + blue buff on this champion. I have no idea if the numbers are too high or too low, perhaps the Ki Charge deterioration rate is a bit too small but they're just theoretical numbers.

Not much else needs to be said. This makes your passive awesome, along with the rest of your skills, and uniquely defines your champion into a sort of niche playstyle.

Overall impressive champion and job well done. I think one of the traversal abilities could be changed and Strike from Void could be more interesting, but other than this this is solid.

Azmare

12-12-2011

Well thank you for you guys' reviews Here are my replies then.

@FelixKam - I changed the regen scales to match that of Kat and Trundle, so the numbers should be spot-on now.

@BlackStar747 - The ult actually works the other way around. Ki Charges a bad thing. For each Ki Charge, his ult costs more mana. In addition, they also limit how many times he can use his ult.

@Veral42 - I hate to bluntly say you are wrong, but you are. The base speed and AR that this character possesses directly matches Katarina. She is no tank, but the AR scale and move speed are hers. On to damage type: I know that magic damage seems a bit odd for a sword wielder. I chose magic damage for a reason however: the art of Iaijutsu is Ki based. Since the concept of this is to gather ones inner power and apply that in duality with a weapon strike, I chose to make this magic damage instead of physical. Truthfully, either would be viable. The passive scales high for a reason, it requires either complete inactivity for a time to take advantage of or a use of the ult (which is limited). The Q has an extremely short range, requiring the target(s) be nearly point blank to you, I find the damage scale to be appropriate (Shen's Q hits at a longer range, heals, and scales at .75). I'm confused as to your comment about the E. It only does 2 things, damage and AR shred, 3 if the sword was initially sheathed. It is a complicated ability, but it does very little. The R sheaths this character's sword, which is what the whole character concept is about. Nothing else is needed as this makes all of his other effects better. I will consider making the damage physical, or having some abilities do one and others do the other, but it's something I'm still throwing around.

@Shazboticus - I know what you mean about the redundancy of the dash mechanic. It's something I was torn about when I was designing him, but I had a hard time coming up with an ability to fill the blank spot. I knew what I wanted both abilities to resemble (A quick dash slicing all opponents in the way and a draw so fast that it pops the opponent in the air as it strikes). I will strongly consider reworking the W, the roll-dash was added to distinguish this skill's appearance from his E. As far as the E, it is a little boring, but it's one of the only skills that punishes a player for building up their defenses ridiculously high. Thematically, it represents Raiken's supreme focus and accuracy to strike true, regardless of how ironclad his foe is.

Also, thought up some lore for him, adding it as we speak.