Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Raiken, the Iaijutsu Master

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azmare

11-30-2011

This is a champion concept that I am drew partially from Bleach and partially from the concept of the iaijutsu duel. This is meant to be a lightly-armored, hard-hitting, champion that values patience and positioning to be successful. Without further ado, I give you...

Raiken, the Iaijutsu Master

Fighter
Mage
Melee
Stealth

Health - 390+80/level (1830 at 18)
Health Regen - 6.95+.55/level/5 secs (16.85/5 secs at 18)
Mana - 200+45/level (1010 at 18)
Mana Regen - 6.9+.6/level/5 secs (17.7/5 secs at 18)
Attack Damage - 50+3.25/level (108.5 at 18)
Speed - 325
Armor - 18+4/level (90 at 18)
Magic Resist - 30

Sheath
-Passive-
If Raiken goes 6 seconds without attacking or using an ability, he sheathes his sword. The next time he autoattacks, he deals bonus damage equal to .5 AP magic damage. *Note that the base sword strike still deals physical damage, while the extra magic damage is a separate damage packet.*

Lightning Dash
-Q Skill Shot-
Mana Cost - 50
Range - 250
CD-12 seconds
Raiken dashes to the targeted location, dealing damage to all enemies his passes through on his way there for 40/80/120/160/200(.5 AP) physical damage. If his sword was sheathed when he activated this ability, he may recast it within 3 seconds of the initial cast and the damage dealt is magic damage.

Move as Shadow
-W-
Mana Cost - 50
CD-12 seconds
Raiken is stealthed for .5/1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds. If Raiken's sword was sheathed when this ability was activated, his next attack from stealth pops the opponent up and deals 40/80/120/160/200(.65 AP) magic damage (use of this attack does not also trigger the damage from his passive).

Strike from Void
-E-
Mana Cost - 75
Range - melee
CD 12 seconds
Raiken strikes for the vulnerabilities in an opponent's defense, dealing bonus damage equal to 50/100/150/200/250 (.4 target's AR) physical damage and lowering their armor by 25% for 3 seconds. If his sword was sheathed when he activated this ability, the damage becomes magic damage, is increased by (.4 target's MR), and also reduces the target's MR by 25% for 3 seconds.

One Strike, Two Cuts
-R-
Base Mana Cost - 50*
Activating this ability sheathes Raiken's blade and gives him 1 Ki charge. Ki charges are removed at a rate of 1 charge per 12/9/6 seconds. Raiken may only have a maximum of 3/6/9 Ki charges at one time.
*for each Ki Charge, the mana cost increases. Use the following table to determine the mana cost.
Ki Charges - Cost
0 - 50
1 - 100
2- 150
3 - 200
4 - 250
5 - 300
6 - 350
7 - 400
8 - 450
9 - 500

*Contest of Will* - a possible alternate W
Raiken chooses a champion within 500 range and channels. As long as Raiken is channeling and the target is within range, they cannot attack or use abilities. This effect can last up to 5 seconds. If Raiken channels this spell to its full duration and his sword was sheathed when he activated this ability, his next attack against the target of this ability has its attack speed reduced by 10/20/30/40/50% and increases the length of cooldowns on any ability the target would use by 10/20/30/40/50% for 5 seconds.
*this is an ability I just thought up, please comment on what you think of this new ability as opposed to the others.*

As far as appearance is concerned, he would be dressed as though he were japanese nobility-no armor, just flowing robes. I envision long black hair and a regal bearing.

Lore
Born in Navori, one of the southern provinces of Ionia, Raiken's greatest ambition has always been to become the Elder of his province. Obtaining this lofty position is not easy however, and requires victory in a difficult competition called the Distinction. To that end, Raiken trained from a young age in the art of Iaijutsu; the art of focusing one's inner power and releasing it while simultaneously drawing and striking with a katana. He trained for hours every day, under tutelage of his father.

That was until the Noxian invasion. The southern provinces, Galrin, Navori, and Shon-Xan, were the first to fall to the Noxian invaders. As the war raged on, Ionia eventually pushed Noxus back to these three provinces, but was not, for a lengthy time able to reclaim them. During this time, all martially-inclined civilians were interred into labor camps. Raiken was too young at the time, but his father was not. During the occupation of Navori, Raiken practiced his art in secret with great fervor, hoping to one day pay back Noxus for the injustices and atrocities it dealt to his people.

When Ionia finally reclaimed it's southern provinces, Raiken's father never returned home. He is a man now driven by three goals: become the Elder of his battered province, find his father, and visit vengeance upon Noxus. However, his training was interrupted, his teacher, missing, and the new pact made with the League of Legends prevented him from acting against Noxus. Only one option was left to work towards all of these goals: join the League of Legends, a place where he could practice and perfect his art while punishing Noxians and hopefully find news of his father's whereabouts.

"My word is my life. You will atone for your sins." - Raiken, the Iaijutsu Master

So that's my idea. It's a very bursty/mobile/anti-tank melee mage essentially. If you have any questions on how his mechanics work or have any advice on how I can improve him (making the numbers more fair, help me develop some stats, or just tell me how much you wouldn't like to lane against him), just let me know.

Changelog
11-3-11 - Reworded the ult to make it clearer, AP scaling reduced on Q,W, and E
12-6-11 - Added attributes and mana costs (balance is very similar to Katarina with a little bit of Trundle). Made the W ability more clear and put the spells in an easier to read format.
12-12-11 - Changed a couple of the attribute scales, reworked some of the abilities a bit (especially W), and added lore...
5-3-12 - Added a new possible ability and changed some wording to make things clearer.

Phoneixflare

11-30-2011

I REALLY like this idea. I wanted someone to make a champ like this for a long time. I really like the passive, it hasnt been done before so its unique.
bumping for a good champ idea and just good creativity.

Kidou Fox

11-30-2011

I love the concept of the passive and the way it works with his abilities. He really reminds me of a more offensive Shen. (I mean really, who makes a ninja tank?! XD)

His E seems like it might be kind of strong, but then again I'm not sure. With more Armor you get more reduction, but it also gains more damage. It might just break about even as far as damage. I'd also like to hear a better explanation of his R. Because I'm thinking it sounds like Kassadin's ult in the way it increases your mana costs as you use more abilities, but it works on your cooldowns instead of straight up damage?

He looks like he'd be **** on by range. But that's fine, he'll probably be soloing top anyway.

Azmare

11-30-2011

I am posting a better explanation for the R, going to try to make it more clear.

The E is meant to be an anti-tank move. It's important to note that the armor debuff it applies occurs after the damage has been dealt. I've been in one too many games where the enemy's tank has so much AR/MR that no one can touch him anymore. The concept for this move comes from the idea that an iai draw is meant to be so clean and accurate that it penetrates any defenses it meets. I tried to replicate that idea, albeit somewhat poorly.

Thinking about possibly granting him ARpen/Mpen somehow, what do you think?

FallenDefender

Recruiter

11-30-2011

I'm glad you made the passive not work if the champ used an ability, otherwise Lich Bane would make him OP. Great foresight on that. My only worry is if someone stacks Archangel's staff and want to push a turret, (say the passive is up) they will hit the turret with their full 1200AP strike + attack damage + 600 damage passive. Pretty strong but I doubt it will get abused.

I like the way you made it so that he can't really spam the sheathed part of his skills too much. I would really like to hear the lore behind him (related to the ninja's perhaps?).

On his passive, Q, and E, what type of damage is he dealing? Magic, Physical, or True?

After reading through, I feel that the Stacking of AA would probably make him very very very very strong. Because then he wouldn't care about the extra stacks of his ultimate and his spells (and passive) would hit really hard. You may want to consider changing him to a different source of energy for his spells or use a different mechanic.

You did really good with him.

Azmare

11-30-2011

thank you Fallen, All damage he's meant to deal is magic damage. I'll adjust it to be clear. The lore will be coming soon. As far as I know though, the mana/mana to AP component is a unique effect though, so it doesn't stack...(I may be wrong).

Master Age

11-30-2011

Without knowing what a Ki Charge does (beyond making his R worse for rapid-casting)... it's hard to quantify.

I agree in that I <3 that passive. It's a good tool.

His AP ratios are a bit high, though, to be honest. And while I understand that you are supposed to be able to mix and match the R/x combos around... with enough CR, I'd imagine he'd be able to whip around a teamfight bursting everyone completely down. I'd reduce Q to (.55), W to (0.65), and Reducing E to... somewhere around (.4) for the Armor and MR stuff. This would at least make those three-shot R/W R/E R/Q shenanigans with a full item build legitimate.

Azmare

11-30-2011

Thank you Master Age, I will change those ratios down a bit. I did have a feeling those numbers were a bit high. And yes, the Ki charges are meant to be only a limitation to help prevent constant bursting.

FelixKam

12-05-2011

Your character is very interesting, but a few suggestions seem necessary,

1) Without knowing Raiken's stats, his abilities will be harder to balance, so please keep that in mind.
2) The passive is perfect, and very unique, please don't change it, ever.
3) "Lightning Dash" has a very small range, 250, is barely enough to chase, or really hit any enemy, considering that Raiken is a melee champion. You're only real hope is if you have your sword sheathed, at the time.
4) "Move as Shadow" doesn't really make sense to me. Since he tumbles towards your cursor, you can't target an enemy, making his damage, and knock-up useless.
5) I really liked "Strike from Void", as it would help kill off those amazingly annoying tanks, so no changes there.
6) Major questions about "One Strike, Two Cuts" are, how much is it's base mana cost? Is there any cooldown?
7) When will you be posting up the lore, and the actual stats?

All in all this was very interesting to read, and I will be looking at this kind of frequently. Good Luck with future endeavors!

Azmare

12-05-2011

Ok FelixKam, allow me to explain a little bit here, to answer these questions.

For starters, his stats will be coming soon. I need to rebalance Louis, the Witch Doctor first, since he is closer to completion, but then this guy is my next priority.

Lightning Dash purposely has a low range because of it's synergy with his ult. Using his ult, you can sheath your sword between each dash, allowing a chain of dashes with no cd, as long as they are used between 3 seconds of each other. At rank 3 ult, he has potential to execute 10 consecutive dashes.

I wasn't very clear when describing Move as Shadow. The use of the damage potential I intend to have kind of a 'lock-on' similar to Urgot's Q, allowing you to execute the strike if the tumble gets you within striking distance. I will clarify this in the ability above.

One Strike, Two Cuts does not have a cooldown at all, the only thing holding you back is how many charges you can have and how much mana it's going to burn from you. As for a mana cost, I will add it in when I add his stats (as I said though, Louis comes first).

Hope this helped to clarify.