I said Fizz was the worst abomination to date..... I was wrong.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2011

Volibear is the single most depressing cashcow you have ever produced, I have lost all faith in you Riot. How a champion like this is even conceived.... I just don't know. When the forum actually agrees that a champion is blatantly broken... You know something is seriously ****ing wrong.

Let's go over his kit.

Chosen of the Storm- His passive is an ultimate, a very powerful ultimate. Mundo's to be specific, except its better and heals over 6 seconds instead of 12.

Rolling Thunder- Something that is absolutely unbelievable to me.... Take Singed's Fling (the most powerful position control ability in the game) and turn it into a gap closer.... That's totally not broken in every way conceivable.

Frenzy- Take Shen's passive, increase the damage to 1000, and make it an execute that's better than Garen's Demacian Judgement. I'm not even going to go into the free attack speed on it. Real cool, this guy already has 2+ ultimates ....

Majestic Roar- A seemingly silent roar with tiny sparks that's an AoE damage/slow. Real original. Oh and it detects clones and let's him dive minions.

Thunder Claws- What I can only call Ricochet on mass steroids.... Honestly it's quite funny that you would remake Sivir and then put this into the game.

Unless there are some serious changes (It's not going to happen). I'll be leaving indefinitely for DotA 2, I don't even care about the jungle changes this **** is just beyond the pale. You've given your loyal players a golden shower with their money, you've made R-Kelly proud. However I'm tired of being pissed on, you promised you wouldn't do this, instead you based your entire business plan around it. Honestly you have to have no shame.

Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
He has some cool advantages, but he also has some clear drawbacks which you aren't talking about at all. Additionally, a lot of the abilities you mention are very different than their 'similar' abilities. I'd much rather have fling than Volibear's charge+fling, because Singed fling is longer distance and I believe more damaging, and more naturally combos with his stuff.

The point of comparison for play balance should be a similar character like Udyr. Relative to Udyr, Volibear is more kitable and less tankey, but has better damage and better team utility. He has clear pros and cons vs another character that is relatively balanced, which is really the right measure of balance.

BTW -- sorry for misunderstanding your post initially, I am trying to participate in what threads I can, and thought you were critiquing the ability choices we made, not the power level.
Now if it isn't obvious from my post, I believe him to be the worst champion Riot has ever designed. I actually like you Zileas, you know I do. We have a lot of history on these forums after all. You really are the man on top, so I'll try to keep this civil and coherent. Since you are one of the few people who actually know how/why he was created, let's talk for a bit about the ability choices and his power level.

I understand the comparison to Udyr but I don't believe that's a great comparison. Volibear get's considerable stronger as the fight drags on, he has very specific bait and switch gameplay that lies somewhere between Mundo and Jax. The problem is he has way too much utility to damage. I'll try to address what I think the problems are. Which is he basically does everything x5. He has the best traits of Singed, Mundo, Sivir, and Jax combined into one champion. I just don't understand what the drawbacks are.

He has incredibly 1v1 potential with unrivaled position control for a melee dps champion outside Fizz (Alistar is not a melee dps). As he has a gap closer Fling and an AoEslow, he's not kiting easily if at all. This is mixed with Frenzy which allows him to kill a champion quickly and efficiently if they fight back. This is of course followed by his execute which can do well over half a champions health. In the simplest way, you can't do anything. You might as well not engage him at all. He has even stronger team fight potential with AoE dps, staying power, focus power and again strong position control. (Also strong for reasons I posted above).

In regards to Fling and Rolling Thunder.

Although Fling does more damage it's Singed only ability that deals direct damage. It's not viable for Singed to turn around and start auto-attacking his target, his poison might be strong but let's not overdo it. That being said Singed trying to Fling is also vulnerable to kiting in the laning phase, Rolling Thunder is not as the movespeed is already built in. Singed has to effectively utilize all the abilities in his kit/summoner spells to successfully Fling, (Insanity Potion, Mega Adhesive, Ghost) although he does this very well. Volibear has 45% movespeed built directly into his the ability itself, allowing him to use the ability in lane with ease. As far as the distance goes... I believe they are almost exactly the same, if not slightly shorter.

The strongest thing I have against Rolling Thunder is this. Singed is based around using Fling with his entire kit to be effective, it just makes sense on him. Rolling Thunder is just a bonus for Volibear, it has nothing particularly to do with his kit. It's feels like it's just thrown on to make him even more powerful, yet it's entirely unnecessary for him to even have.

That being said I have two relatively simple questions.

1. Why was Volibear released like this? (Honestly why are all your new champions released like this?)
  2. What was the rationale for his kit?

larrylarry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2011

his ult gives him a 155 damage steroid btw. vayne gets 55.
i guess its balanced since hes a melee and can be kited? but slapping 155 damage per auto on a champ that gets 60% innate attack speed seems sorta ridic

he looks really slow/clunky with the big model though, i guess since its hard for him to sit and wail on people forever it never really plays out in the best-case scenario

Polazki

11-29-2011

you put the ignite in maedreds, then call me in the morning.

lost sweater

11-29-2011

See you in two weeks!

Naje

11-29-2011

im guessing op doesnt have 6300 ip? because i don't buy my champs with rp, so this isn't a cash cow for other players who don't buy heroes with rp.

I buy skins with rp though.

rp -> skins

ip -> heroes/runes

Dragonk

11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry View Post
his ult gives him a 155 damage steroid btw. vayne gets 55.
i guess its balanced since hes a melee and can be kited? but slapping 155 damage per auto on a champ that gets 60% innate attack speed seems sorta ridic

he looks really slow/clunky with the big model though, i guess since its hard for him to sit and wail on people forever it never really plays out in the best-case scenario
It's insane, not only is the steroid huge but it's AoE. He has no problem keeping enemies close, he has a gap closer/Fling with an AoE slow...then does 1000 damage (thats low) that increases in damage the lower your health is. -___-. I mean WTF.

Opreich

11-29-2011

Season 1 release = Release Xin Zhao

Season 2 release = Release Volibear.

Respect the Tradition.

MasterfulWizard

11-29-2011

Riot powercreepin' since 2009

atimatik

11-29-2011

wasnt shyv a lil op too?

Hrnek na kafe

11-29-2011

Well, and one of the most important thing (for Rior I guess) - his playstyle is boring as ****.