Alistar non-purely tank build viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theorycrafter

07-03-2010

With the ninja attack speed buff he got and having on mind items like Trinity Force, Atma's Impaler and the like, would it be possible to play Alistar with a hybrid AD build to abuse his passive vs towers and his a'la god-mode ultimate?

Perhaps this would require investing in the cheap madred's razor for some improved farming...

Other alternative is an AP build with items like RoA and Rylai's, but I don't feel he should be going that way despite the high AP ratios.

Edit: Hybrid AD-AP can also be an option.

Thoughts?

AnyOtherEnemy

07-03-2010

I played with a dude who does AP Ali. I can see it working if you have someone else who can tank like Rammus or a tanky DPS like Jax. You would need CDR runes because his CDs are pretty high.

Toros

07-03-2010

Yes, but sheen -> boots -> ghostblade is the way you want to go. arpen, cd, dmg, and temp atk speed in one item.

you can still build tank items after, or a trinity force. he can still tank in teamfights, but since he relies on his ult for tankyness, he's a little higher risk/reward than usual.

If you do manage an ace though, expect 2-3 towers to drop.

Theorycrafter

07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toros View Post
Yes, but sheen -> boots -> ghostblade is the way you want to go. arpen, cd, dmg, and temp atk speed in one item.

you can still build tank items after, or a trinity force. he can still tank in teamfights, but since he relies on his ult for tankyness, he's a little higher risk/reward than usual.

If you do manage an ace though, expect 2-3 towers to drop.
I actually thought of him having more BD potential than Yi.

Any other opinions? Pleaaaaaase?

CarlSagansCosmos

07-03-2010

I tried to play this for a few games, and I honestly didn't have much luck with it. Even with high Attack and extra speed, farming was just bad, and while I had a decent health, without some Armor or MR, as well as being large and imposing he went down fast. You had 2-3 abilities that are helpful in a fight (one a heal), Pulverize and of course your ulti(which has short duration and long CD), it just didn't work

I did find that after building a few tanky items, If I threw in a last whisper, Towers melted when I threw up my Ulti, but by this time, it was final push. Trying to build it before hand was too difficult and left me hurting for armor/mr.

Though if you try it out, let me know if you get a positive result.

BlackRampage

07-03-2010

My buddy goes Alistair with LW and AElixir. Turrets drop faster than Trynd dropping Ashe.

Theorycrafter

07-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRampage View Post
My buddy goes Alistair with LW and AElixir. Turrets drop faster than Trynd dropping Ashe.
Okay, so the build would be sth like:
Madred's mini-razor,
Boots,
Sheen
Youmuu's or/and Last Whisper
-> Trinity Force

I'll try that. I'll say if I get anything.

P.S. Wtf with the Alistair... he doesn't deserve that much attention 0_O

Tieryal

07-04-2010

Last time I ran into an AP alistar it was scary. But I'm pretty sure the pugs fed him to that state so I dunno if he is really worth a ****.

Vienna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2010

I personally run my Alistar with Trinity Force; he has so many actives to proc Sheen.

Also, the way I looked at Alistar has been something like: he has like 3k HP without HP items with an ulti that essentially quadruples his effective HP; he's not realistically going to get killed with his ulti on even without tanking items.

Griefherald

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2010

I use Alistar to 1v1 bots in practice for IP, and he wrecks towers so fast its not uncommon to have to hold off pushing for a while so the nexus isn't taken down before the 11 minute mark. With some DPS stats (Last Whisper is a big one) he takes down turrets in mere seconds. I've always wanted to try it in a normal game, but im afraid of the potentially disastrous results.