Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Alistar non-purely tank build viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theorycrafter

07-03-2010

With the ninja attack speed buff he got and having on mind items like Trinity Force, Atma's Impaler and the like, would it be possible to play Alistar with a hybrid AD build to abuse his passive vs towers and his a'la god-mode ultimate?

Perhaps this would require investing in the cheap madred's razor for some improved farming...

Other alternative is an AP build with items like RoA and Rylai's, but I don't feel he should be going that way despite the high AP ratios.

Edit: Hybrid AD-AP can also be an option.

Thoughts?

AnyOtherEnemy

07-03-2010

I played with a dude who does AP Ali. I can see it working if you have someone else who can tank like Rammus or a tanky DPS like Jax. You would need CDR runes because his CDs are pretty high.

Toros

07-03-2010

Yes, but sheen -> boots -> ghostblade is the way you want to go. arpen, cd, dmg, and temp atk speed in one item.

you can still build tank items after, or a trinity force. he can still tank in teamfights, but since he relies on his ult for tankyness, he's a little higher risk/reward than usual.

If you do manage an ace though, expect 2-3 towers to drop.

Theorycrafter

07-03-2010

Quote:
Toros:
Yes, but sheen -> boots -> ghostblade is the way you want to go. arpen, cd, dmg, and temp atk speed in one item.

you can still build tank items after, or a trinity force. he can still tank in teamfights, but since he relies on his ult for tankyness, he's a little higher risk/reward than usual.

If you do manage an ace though, expect 2-3 towers to drop.

I actually thought of him having more BD potential than Yi.

Any other opinions? Pleaaaaaase?

CarlSagansCosmos

07-03-2010

I tried to play this for a few games, and I honestly didn't have much luck with it. Even with high Attack and extra speed, farming was just bad, and while I had a decent health, without some Armor or MR, as well as being large and imposing he went down fast. You had 2-3 abilities that are helpful in a fight (one a heal), Pulverize and of course your ulti(which has short duration and long CD), it just didn't work

I did find that after building a few tanky items, If I threw in a last whisper, Towers melted when I threw up my Ulti, but by this time, it was final push. Trying to build it before hand was too difficult and left me hurting for armor/mr.

Though if you try it out, let me know if you get a positive result.

BlackRampage

07-03-2010

My buddy goes Alistair with LW and AElixir. Turrets drop faster than Trynd dropping Ashe.

Theorycrafter

07-04-2010

Quote:
BlackRampage:
My buddy goes Alistair with LW and AElixir. Turrets drop faster than Trynd dropping Ashe.

Okay, so the build would be sth like:
Madred's mini-razor,
Boots,
Sheen
Youmuu's or/and Last Whisper
-> Trinity Force

I'll try that. I'll say if I get anything.

P.S. Wtf with the Alistair... he doesn't deserve that much attention 0_O

Tieryal

07-04-2010

Last time I ran into an AP alistar it was scary. But I'm pretty sure the pugs fed him to that state so I dunno if he is really worth a ****.

Vienna

07-04-2010

I personally run my Alistar with Trinity Force; he has so many actives to proc Sheen.

Also, the way I looked at Alistar has been something like: he has like 3k HP without HP items with an ulti that essentially quadruples his effective HP; he's not realistically going to get killed with his ulti on even without tanking items.

Griefherald

07-04-2010

I use Alistar to 1v1 bots in practice for IP, and he wrecks towers so fast its not uncommon to have to hold off pushing for a while so the nexus isn't taken down before the 11 minute mark. With some DPS stats (Last Whisper is a big one) he takes down turrets in mere seconds. I've always wanted to try it in a normal game, but im afraid of the potentially disastrous results.