Alistar better than Blitzcrank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyresia2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2010

Why most people think Alistar is so much better than Blitzcrank?
I play Alistar quite a lot, and I know this champ fairly well enough, but I haven't never ever played Blitz, so my opinion is based only on my experiences against him, still I find them (on paper) to be somewhat similar.

They are both tanks. They both have nice CCs. They are both good at initiating, they are both very, very slow.

Alistar Headbutt it's an underpowered version of Blitz Rocket Grab: kick enemy in the middle of your team, but with Blitz you don't need to be in the middle of them, and it's a great opener. Still Alistar's HB can be used also to kick a dangerous DPS out of the fray for a while.

Alistar's Pulverize is a much more powerful version of Blitz Power Fist that can stun/pop up on area, while PF is limited to a single target.

Alistar can heal, but mostly, heals himself, giving him even more staying power, and lane capabilities. Alist performs better soloing in the ealrier levels, while Blitz's RG's pull on the other hand, cna grief your foes and score many early kills for you or your carry.

Alistar's ultimate gives him the most powerful mitigation ability in the whole game, making him almost invulnerable for a short while, so later on he's a godly tank (that can spam his heal to tank even more). Blitz on the other hand, can area silence and deal massive damage around him with his Ult, so while he's not as tanky (but has a nice passive to compensate), he can be pretty dangerous for enemy squishies...

So the comparison seems to be fair, why pro players keep saying that Ali is so much better? Why Ali is, hands down, one of the best champs all around (if not the best tank)m while Blitz is widely regarded as a "meh" champ? What's the inherent mediocrity of the golem that I really can't see? And after all, is he worth his IP price?

killsteel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2010

I don't think people really think this way anymore. Alistar was once a god of a tank but got got nerfed pretty hard. He's about on par with Blitz for overall viability but the two shouldn't be compared because Blitz is not a real tank.

Slown

07-02-2010

I think both are perfectly viable... But I almost stopped reading when I saw "They are both tanks."

I guess both can be built up tanky, but in general, when I play Blitz, I go DPS.

Keeping my Critzcrank-ness in mind, I want to disagree with PF being a weaker Pulverize, as pulverize will do about 300(?) damage before MR in an AoE and my PFs start hitting around 1k+ after armor.

Tyresia2

07-02-2010

So Blitz is a DPS? I told u I never played him... I always tought him as a tank...

DaGhost

07-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyresia2 View Post
Why most people think Alistar is so much better than Blitzcrank?
I play Alistar quite a lot, and I know this champ fairly well enough, but I haven't never ever played Blitz, so my opinion is based only on my experiences against him, still I find them (on paper) to be somewhat similar.

They are both tanks. They both have nice CCs. They are both good at initiating, they are both very, very slow.

Alistar Headbutt it's an underpowered version of Blitz Rocket Grab: kick enemy in the middle of your team, but with Blitz you don't need to be in the middle of them, and it's a great opener. Still Alistar's HB can be used also to kick a dangerous DPS out of the fray for a while.

Alistar's Pulverize is a much more powerful version of Blitz Power Fist that can stun/pop up on area, while PF is limited to a single target.

Alistar can heal, but mostly, heals himself, giving him even more staying power, and lane capabilities. Alist performs better soloing in the ealrier levels, while Blitz's RG's pull on the other hand, cna grief your foes and score many early kills for you or your carry.

Alistar's ultimate gives him the most powerful mitigation ability in the whole game, making him almost invulnerable for a short while, so later on he's a godly tank (that can spam his heal to tank even more). Blitz on the other hand, can area silence and deal massive damage around him with his Ult, so while he's not as tanky (but has a nice passive to compensate), he can be pretty dangerous for enemy squishies...

So the comparison seems to be fair, why pro players keep saying that Ali is so much better? Why Ali is, hands down, one of the best champs all around (if not the best tank)m while Blitz is widely regarded as a "meh" champ? What's the inherent mediocrity of the golem that I really can't see? And after all, is he worth his IP price?
Allistar's combo Flash + Pulv + Headbutt is a much better team initiator for AOE teams than Rocket Grab power fist

Rocekt Grab Power Fist is a nice combo to get a 4 v 5, but requires you have some melee dps to focus the enemy who gets pulled out so you dont waste your spells on them.

Killing teams>Killing individuals

killsteel

07-02-2010

Think of Blitz as tanky dps while Alistar is just pure tank.

Zirun

07-02-2010

Wait, people think Alistar is better than Blitzcrank?

O_o

MoarYogurt

07-02-2010

Alistar is a CC bot, which is why he is a good tank.

You absolutely HAVE to do something about Alistar when he flashes into your team, or he is going to separate the important person and **** up your whole game.

Blitzcrank's grab takes one person along with him. If you use wards and properly position yourself so there is always something between you and blitz, then his hook becomes a non-factor. He can even initiate for the enemy team if he pulls the wrong champion.

If blitz hooks someone into your team, yes that person is dead. However, against skilled opponents, your chances of getting a hook are significantly decreased.

Alistar is much more able to do his job because a creep in the wrong place at the wrong time has no effect on him slamming the ground really hard and horning someone in the ass.

Garamor

07-02-2010

I find the trouble with alistar is his inability to initiate, given certain situations.

The best way I can think of is to headbutt the tank to the back of their lines and hope their dps bite back to get things going... but if there's a melee or ranged dps in the front, you're only helping them. You need some sort of boost to initiate from the sides in order to either get your headbutt for a gib on the champion or grab him in range of cc.

Tyresia2

07-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garamor View Post
I find the trouble with alistar is his inability to initiate, given certain situations.

The best way I can think of is to headbutt the tank to the back of their lines and hope their dps bite back to get things going... but if there's a melee or ranged dps in the front, you're only helping them. You need some sort of boost to initiate from the sides in order to either get your headbutt for a gib on the champion or grab him in range of cc.

Either flash in the middle of them and stun them all, or if Flash is down, go among them alone, as soon as they focus you press R to ultimate (if built the right way you're actually invulnerable), and then rush to the casters/dps, stun them and/or kick them in the middle of your party.
Keep in mind that while being headbutted, while not actually stunned, they're unable to act until they land, so a wise use of pinging your target, means your team KNOWS who you are going to kick and will just burst him before he can react.
Also they're focusing on you, wich is what you want to happen, being the tankiest of all tanks, and being able to spam out heals at will: often after kicking/stunning I just stand in the middle of them, just spamming heal while they attack me, autoattacking the casual one, while waiting for CDs.