Power Yi vs AP Yi.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
So, by that logic, that makes Katarina a gimmick character as a whole since her damage output relies on getting kills. Otherwise her ult is gone, and the rest of her abilities don't deal enough damage consistently.

I'm not trying to be contradictory here, but I'm curious as to the definition of "Gimmick".
No, Katarina relies on getting a good ultimate off to do much in a fight. Scoring kills just helps her mop up afterward.

Her ult has a 3:1 AP ratio over the full channel. Assumming she get the whole thing off, that means she does triple the damage an AP Yi is doing with his alpha strike to the affected targets. Yi would have to score two kills in order to match that.

AP Yi is gimmicky because without scoring kills, his total AP ratio is 1.0. That's pitiful for any would-be mage. No other mage is so restricted in their damage output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenFIames View Post
So how is AD yi better or more useful at teamfights than AP?
plz keep in mind the following items that can be purchased by AP:
Hourglass, lichbane(can be activated by R or E as well), and deathfire grasp.
Any other mage can purchase these items too. Just because AP Yi can build them doesn't magically make him a better mage than other mages. I would much rather have a DFG Lichbane Veigar, Annie or Brand wouldn't you?

AD Yi has high consistent damage output and can't be slowed, thus has a simple time sticking to targets. If you build him a bit tanky then he makes an excellent teamfighter since his natural damage output through skills is among the highest in the game. He's also able to contribute even if he can't get any kills (though chances are he won't have problems doing that with his ult + ghostblade + E active)

Afraa

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLaxx View Post
Apparently you don't understand that any other character designed to actually utilize AP effectively would be a better pick than AP Yi and all you're going to accomplish in a teamfight is a single Alpha Strike. If you're able to do more than that during a teamfight, your team doesn't need you because they were already winning. You give up teamfight presence and back-door potential for a slight gain in assassination power.

I don't care if you think AP Yi is good. You sound like you're defending the build because you play it. You're playing a bad build on a mediocre champion.
people said the same thing about ap sion a month ago now he is perma banned

1:1 ratios on aoes with high base damage are broken

and depending on your skill at positioning ap yi will easly out damage many other ap champs in a teamfight

and while I have played yi both ways i'm just stating the facts instead of jumping on the hater bandwagon

Cenerae

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraa View Post

and depending on your skill at positioning ap yi will easly out damage many other ap champs in a teamfight

and while I have played yi both ways i'm just stating the facts instead of jumping on the hater bandwagon
The difference being that Sion has two nukes instead of 1, and has hard CC.

Again, Yi relies entirely on landing kills to be of real use in fights. A single 1:1 ratio nuke is not sufficient for dealing meaningful teamfight damage.

crAwiwow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

i think AD Yi is good

FrozenFIames

11-27-2011

i am not comparing ap yi to ap mages, i am comparing him to ad yi. I am just stating that he has many choices and you can pick different route depending on the situation needed.

Oh my, AD yi can't be slowed, what ever will the enemy do? they probably wont have stun, knock back, airborne or fear to stop him. Either way he is a glass cannon either as AP or AD, but AP has more survivability in a teamfight and is easier to hit the squishy because he can alpha a tank to hit to a squishy to kill them, or hourglass to stall for time for your teammates.

Also if you're waiting for the CC to get blown as AD yi, you're making your teamamtes fight without you longer, where as AP yi can jump in sooner than ad, when someone is killable with alpha strike he can do his thing.

I am not hating on AD yi, he is great before teamfights, and great in small skirmishes and clearing jungle and backdooring. He just falls off a bit in teamfights.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraa View Post

There is no "hater bandwagon" when it comes to AP Yi. He's strictly inferior at everything compared to AD Yi with the exception of: the lane phase, and up-front "AoE" burst. The only people were saying AP Sion was awful were just ignorant about him -- these are the same people that only grab onto whatever the current "pro" scene is doing and try to mimic them religiously. This is why they think AP Sion is suddenly good after no real changes to him (even when he used up more mana for his spells, AP Sion was still a force).

Remember when Irelia was considered bad? Orianna was considered bad? Yorick was considered bad? (to be fair, he actually was but his hotfix changed that quickly and it still took time for people to notice/figure out where he should go), Akali was considered bad? And now, most recently, Riven was considered bad? The community at large waits until someone they feel who is good/better than them at the game does something before attempting it themselves. I'm not one of these people.

If you're version of "AP Yi with good positioning" is actually "waiting until someone in the team is low enough to die to an Alpha Strike so I can use it again immediately after" that single Nuke of yours will pale in comparison to any other AP Carry. On top of this, all AP Carries bring utility to their team; AP Yi has exactly ZERO utility. His entire kit is all about personal safety and damage at the expense of his team. No CC, a channeled heal that only works on himself (while rooting him in place), a big Movespeed buff, and an ability that has the ability to dodge things while making him impossible to target. There's no team utility here, and that by itself makes him worse than other AP Carries if they weren't already doing more damage than him (and they are).

Your facts are opinions. Stop presenting your opinion as fact and I'll stop having issues with it.

rakkun

11-29-2011

8-1 last ranked game as Yi.

I main him.

AD Yi is all about lifesteal (while keeping low health). This makes it so he gets his health completely back in 3-4 auto attacks.

Jungle AD Yi: Wriggles -> Brutalizer -> Ghostblade -> Bloodthirster/Starks (both but prioritize based on how well you are doing) -> GA/IE (based upon more damage or resistance).

This build gives you INSANE lifesteal with HUGE burst damage and a decent amount of attack speed. If you activate Ghostblade + Wuju Style + Highlander AND you have double hit passive procced, you will do INSANE burst damage and be able to sustain going from enemy to enemy with all the lifesteal.

The GA is just even more TROLOLOL because once you revive, you usually can either A) auto attack back to full health, or B) alpha strike/highlander to safety.

Sall bout dat lifesteal and Arm Pen/AD.