Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asphexia

11-25-2011

**** this is going to make TT much more passive...

Caput Lupinum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

I'm trying, but it wont let me down vote anymore!

Well at least TOR is coming out soon

Anxtrist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

Jungling gonna be different 0.0

Slappy The Goose

11-25-2011

I just thought of something! Promote is nerfed and is now the new rally or promote is not nerfed and is now OP due to the crazy farm the fat minion gives!

Ippy5

11-25-2011

making jungling easier so lower levels can jungle is the worst thing i have ever heard, low levels are just learning the game. I have played with friends who are just learning to lane, I feel bad for anyone who is just starting and will be now going against someone jungling on a smurf account because now they can. I know smurf accounts are frowned upon, but they are out there. This will mean that the actual new player will die easily... good going riot. and btw, check out the dislikes on youtube, Worst Patch Yet, if dumbing down the game is the goal you are well on the way to doing it and any true competitiveness will turn into certain characters being played instead of skill

thumbs down

Newdel

11-25-2011

riot good job you have been listening to most posts, please buff alistar headbut to do +AP or AD much love thanks

Armidian

11-25-2011

This was posted a few months ago with 155 downvotes.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=11691450#11691450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
The main problem with the slow on Lizard is that it means if you get caught by it overextended, you die. A haste will make it so that that man can kill you, not that man's team can kill you (if you get caught).

This is an integral cog in increasing early game activity (knowing you're not GUARANTEED to die if you get caught out of position means you can be more aggressive), making the jungle more accessible to low level summoners, making the jungle less sensitive to counter jungling (right now it's too big of a swing if you get counter jungled, although I will concede this is the weakest point in the system that needs to be solved), allowing more champions to jungle, making Smite less necessary, allowing non-jungle champions to jungle more (in other words allow role flexibility WITHIN a game not just between games), and probably at least half a dozen major goals as well, and for actually increasing skill differentiation within the jungle.

One of my major problems with the jungle right now is that due to the long respawn timers, there actually is little choice for the player - you have a set route and you gank (generally) when your jungle is clear. There are times when you vary this, but for the most part this is what you do. We'd like to make it so that at all given points, junglers have more interesting choices for what they want to do - should I level up, gank, invade, etc? Ideally they'd all be more valuable for actually doing, but have a higher opportunity cost for doing so - in other words they're all good options but you have to pick what would be most advantageous for your team.

I agree that some champions are hit harder by the loss of slow on Lizard than others (Master Yi for example) but in general those champions are the ones that are going to benefit most from the other side of this coin - reducing monster spawns and making so that if you just sit and farm your jungle, you will earn more resources. In general it will work out, and we can tune the cases that don't.

Also, the jungle is hard enough right now such that we have to make champions basically OP to succeed in the jungle - see Warwick, Udyr.

It appears the overwhelmingly negative reaction 4 months ago wasn't enough to deter them. Well the be fair they dumped that haste on red idea.

This is my response from that thread and it's the same way i feel now. The exception being the red buff nerf instead of rework. That i will have to see in game to assess if it screwed up anything to badly, but the concept is still there.

I don't disagree often with Riot or Guinsoo for that matter but this post is nothing less than disturbing. Lets take a look

- The main problem with the slow on Lizard is that it means if you get caught by it overextended, you die. A haste will make it so that that man can kill you, not that man's team can kill you (if you get caught).

That jungler is under level in comparison to top and mid (post lvl4). Bot lane has 2 people in it... he NEEDS his team to make it work as each lane can potentially turn and kill the jungler if he doesn't have a team to support him.

- This is an integral cog in increasing early game activity (knowing you're not GUARANTEED to die if you get caught out of position means you can be more aggressive),

The most disturbing line in this entire thing. Most ganks require two lane entrances to be successful. One for their flash and the other for a non GUARANTEED kill. Honestly this just reads to me as you want to reward players that 1. Don't exercise map awareness 2. Are unable to maintain their lane properly.

- making the jungle more accessible to low level summoners,

What happened to the trickle down effect of balancing for high elo and letting it work its way down. Now we are talking about balancing for sub 30s???

- making the jungle less sensitive to counter jungling (right now it's too big of a swing if you get counter jungled, although I will concede this is the weakest point in the system that needs to be solved),

Effective counter jungling is probably the most intricate thing in your game. It requires a knowledge of the enemy teams jungler route and speed, team work with CV and proper warding. It has a decent effect at very high risk as well.

-allowing more champions to jungle, allowing non-jungle champions to jungle more (in other words allow role flexibility WITHIN a game not just between games),

If you want more champs to jungle why did you give jungle mobs a buff a few months ago and cut the amount of effective junglers drasticly?

- making Smite less necessary

Smite isn't really a requirement now but it brings team utility and gives a jungler more effective options to protect his jungle and to counter jungle.
Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXsHg...eature=related

- One of my major problems with the jungle right now is that due to the long respawn timers, there actually is little choice for the player - you have a set route and you gank (generally) when your jungle is clear. There are times when you vary this, but for the most part this is what you do. We'd like to make it so that at all given points, junglers have more interesting choices for what they want to do

I don't know how you do it but i assess who needs lane pressure and who has the potential to successfully pull off a gank and act accordingly. This is different EVERY game.

- We'd like to make it so that at all given points, junglers have more interesting choices for what they want to do - should I level up, gank, invade, etc?

We have these choices right now and this seems like a good point to recap. Removing the CC from red buff will make non hard CC junglers unable to gank making a wide variety of them less viable. By making counter jungling less effective you are removing the reward of entering a jungle at great risk making control junglers less viable to play.
The only thing I'm taking from your post Guinsoo is you want to make jungling 1 dimensional and turn it into a 4th lane, where less happens.

tl;dr
No your wrong and your about to make this game less fun.

top shelf jazz

11-25-2011

**** this patch

Doken

11-25-2011

I suggest game mode options for the individual maps we can choose on queue (not how the champs are picked)
I occasionally want to play a long drawn out game.

Give us choices between normal and long with changes to xp, gold and turret/minion hp. Maybe even fast, normal and long if the queue length doesn't take too big of a hit.

Sirensongs

11-25-2011

Awful. Ruining the game more and more each patch just so more people will watch the pro games? Congratz on slowly losing people who actually supported you Riot. Gaming history: Game is good and then the creators sell out and make if awful. K thanks