Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flakes

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It's related to what people value and what people notice and whether these experiences are net negative or net positive. Dodge fundamentally has worse psychology than crit, so we value crit more than dodge.
I think a big part of this is the progressive nerfs aimed at what could be dodged. When towers were dodgeable, stacking dodge was a powerful offensive strategy. When parley, power fist, and pick-a-card could be dodged, it completely changed how a lane could play out. When phantom dancer had dodge, stacking it didn't require a huge IP investment and was a much more visible source of physical defense for carries (a carry with only one armor item will still get destroyed by crits). Before nimbleness was removed, there was a tangible buff+icon every time you dodged.

Players don't notice dodges because their benefits have been slowly removed

Orshabal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

Jungle ashe time!, thx riot, now u can jungle with all champions

minions do 0 dmg, go retarded mode and try to harras/kill like an idiot,

ndclub

11-26-2011

We have yet to see a single number, its probably all very minor changes. Even though I will get downvoted to hell for this: How about wait to see the patch notes before declaring you are going to quit...

A Dolphin

11-26-2011

I honestly don't care much for the buff. I see no problem with it.

But, apparentally everyone else does. I have a big suggestion! You should make an entire gameplay mode geared towards the lower level summoners with the jungle changes and stuff like that. We all know you're trying to help out the newer players, so make a game mode for them. Like, make it unaccessible at a certain level, that you can decide, and make things easier for them. Like jungling, skill shots, stuff that would be difficult for the newer players. It seems like this patch is gonna make you lose a lot of players, just by looking at the youtube ratings for the patch preview. 75% of them were dislikes. Not trying to run your company or anything along the lines, but you should really rethink this patch. Again, I honestly don't care what you guys do with this patch, but a lot of people do.

KremShaw

11-26-2011

After seeing so many negative reviews, all I can hope is Riot comes to their senses.

RandallFlagg00

11-26-2011

646 downvotes in less than 24 hours, riot, skip the lame insults and listen to your community: this is a bad and unwanted patch. Easier doesn't mean better or funnier, no matter if you are lvl 3 or lvl 30.

WeepingLily

11-26-2011

I do not like the changes to laning at all. This is gonig to make me play more passively too, because now it seems like I can be attacked in lane while the person attacking me does not have to worry about having their health reduced by minions. It just takes away the stratagy the old system had.

EternalSleepers

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiethekid View Post
Guys...chill the hell out.

Potion nerf: Be happy at least you still have potions. Think about it, if you don't poke your enemy, your enemy will poke you. If you try to play defensively, you'll lose out because your pots won't heal you for much. They want to make the laning phase a bit more fun then just sitting there farming minions for 20 minutes. Besides, if your a smart player, this shouldn't really affect you too much anyway since you already know how to poke your opponent. THAT BEING SAID!! As much as i support riot, i don't think this nerf was really necessary. But i haven't seen then numbers so judging is kinda really out the window here.

Minions: The reason that I kinda agree with this nerf is because, as far as i've seen it, if you make one mistake, you've practically lost the game for your team. I've seen somone get 1 kill and they end up carrying the whole game. They don't want you to snowball over the team because then whats the fun in that? Also, sustaining champions have always had an advantage over non-sustaining champions, thats why people play them because you can stay in a lane forever. They aren't making them anymore OP then what they already were. THAT BEING SAID!! Anyone who is stupid enough to dive in to attack a champion while they're surrounded by minions deserves to get hurt and deserves to die.

Jungle: I honestly do not see why anyone is complaining. Experienced junglers will still be able to jungle. If you don't want to get your lazy asses to try and adapt to the new jungle, then why play? This game has always been about change and adapting. Its not that their kissing noob ass, its because they want to open the jungle to more players. God knows i can't jungle to save my parent's lives but maybe i could try it out now since it'll be easier. And if you are seriously going to complain about noobs jungling, then think about how you started. I bet, and this is only speculation, that you had to work your ass off to find a path or an item build to jungle with. They want to take out the fact that newer players and lower lvls have to go through such a grind to become a good jungler.

Seriously guys, give this patch a chance. It's not like they've completely screwed the game. It's called adaption and you're going to have to get used to it because thats what life is all about and thats how the world is.
THAT BEING SAID....seriously, why should i be happy that I still have potion when it is something that is EXPECTED? A temporary item that offers regens is part of the game! Carry heroes tend to have low health and relies heavily on these regen items to stay in lane. It doesn't matter if you are careful or not in lane, chances are, it is either you poke them or they poke you until low health and you were force to tele back and heal or die without a chance of regen and a second chance to heal up in lane while still being competent in lane and not die unless you literally walk next to them or they dive you. So, that comes down to your lane win when you poke them first or unless you wanna hug tower the whole laning phase and get out farmed THAT BEING SAID!!!! if it is less than 25 health reduction I could let it go, anything more would be ridiculous.

secondly, going through the grind and learn how to jungle properly is part of the ritual of playing LoL. We all had to do it and there should be an entry barrier to higher ranking gaming from new comers. You learn through losing a lot and eventually try enough times and you will be good. But now they are lowering the difficulty to jungle so now everyone could? THAT BEING SAID!!!! I will wait until the patch comes out and try the new system. this game is about adaptations, however, the testing team and Morello seems to make this game easier and easier every patch, which kind of defeats part of the purpose of the game. Simplicity invites more people to join, however, the complexity and varieties of things you could do in these kind of games is what make them so intriguing and can't stop. Now they are eliminating the complexity layers and I can't help to find the fact that it is less intriguing that what it used to be.

At last, my final disagreement of this game. Nerfing minion damage? minion is part of the game, they are meant to be helpful or a discouragement to the other team from attacking you or brace their wrath. If you are dumb enough to try to dive a half health champ in the middle of 10+ of their minions, then you probably deserve to die. Reducing damage will only mean that they don't do anything besides being a farming tool, period. Just some mobile gold that you will receive if you hit it enough times rather than an obstacle to overcome that often turn the tide of battles because one team decided to go in the middle of the group

Zelotus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

Well that's one dodge champion down... 2 to go.

Alreatha

11-26-2011

Good Job Riot, you just lost a player that actually knows how to play this game without needing nerfs and fixed made for children. I didnt spend a year+ on this game just to have it be made into a stupid game designed for newbies. First you want to increase aggresivness by nerfing supports, now u wana increase it by reducing pot heals? Are you ****ing stupid? This PROMOTES SUSTAIN LANING especially with the minion nerf. Congratz you just made a champ worth dirt.
I love how your once again making a change just to compensate for newbies. Now i guess even my tristana vlad and annie can jungle!! Might as well go to CN LoL.

Ahhh What do you expect from a american game?