Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avenger460

07-19-2012

I used locked Camera and still manage to do great in games I play. I really don't like playing with my camera free. The only time I'll really ever unlock my camera is to hit an Ez ult or Ashe arrow. I'm sure it does hinder my gameplay, but it honestly is more convenient for me.

Meshly

07-19-2012

I mostly use melee champions anyway, so it doesn't effect me.

Whitneyoaks11

07-25-2012

I think that summoner's rift should have a remake in the sense that the map is horizontal so that either team has an equal line of sight like on treeline. Although that making SR horizontal may help newer players that live and learn on locked screen I sure have gotten to used to SR being diagonal. So this change will hinder more people than help others.

systoll

07-27-2012

As a related issue, currently, when the camera is locked, the spacebar does nothing.

As someone who spends >90% of the game with the spacebar held down, I feel like it would be an improvement to allow people to hold space to unlock their camera if they're in locked mode. Releasing the spacebar would snap the camera back to the player.

This would allow a quick temporary switch in order to line up a skill shot, while leaving general gameplay unchanged.

As mentioned earlier, the pros that seem to play with locked cameras tend to actually hold down spacebar. This adjustment allows for an essentially identical play style with somewhat more ergonomic input.

FraggingBard

07-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by systoll View Post
As a related issue, currently, when the camera is locked, the spacebar does nothing.

As someone who spends >90% of the game with the spacebar held down, I feel like it would be an improvement to allow people to hold space to unlock their camera if they're in locked mode. Releasing the spacebar would snap the camera back to the player.

This would allow a quick temporary switch in order to line up a skill shot, while leaving general gameplay unchanged.

As mentioned earlier, the pros that seem to play with locked cameras tend to actually hold down spacebar. This adjustment allows for an essentially identical play style with somewhat more ergonomic input.

Y

Hit that to lock, hit it to unlock, if unlocked, tap space to center your camera if you need the perspective. If you're playing the game with the camera mostly locked, then you could easy just tap Y to release the camera when you needed it. Make it a 10% problem instead of a 90% one. The suggestion is sound though

HailSing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

Any ways. I play this game mostly with the camera locked.

I love playing this game comfortably on my laptop, in my blanket. I use the pad on the laptop to move around.

The only time I unlock the camera is to get an idea of the map as a whole. Usually I get all the info I need from the minimap.

I even shoot my ult on the minimap as well since mobility and harass for me is priority and if I can get a lane to retreat I have done my job. Kills are just icing on the cake for me.

Hammersprenger

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbiz View Post
Has there been thought given to the idea of locking your camera relative to your champion, rather than centered on him? Say you start a match unlocked, move the camera down so you can see 2/3 in front and 1/3 behind, then you lock the camera and it keeps that position on your champ for the match? You'd still be able to lock it centered on you with holding spacebar, so the players who want it locked on center could still have that.
Yes, you can look back into my earlier red posts in this thread! :D

tldr: this will completely bone you if you come at a team fight from bottom to top if you have your camera positioned for top to bottom movement and force you to manage your camera anyways. :(
What if there was a "Camera Offset" slider in the settings where it shifts the camera X pixels up or down to the player's liking. Pressing its hotkey once locks the camera with the shift negative, and pressing it again locks it with the shift positive. Or you could use two separate keys for each direction, or offer both options of hard keys or toggle. Pressing the Y key or Spacebar resets it to normal. It would offer relatively fluid play, and probably be the easiest solution to implement for players who prefer a locked camera, but need to see more map in one direction.