How to Review a Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gamer Celestia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Keeping this bumped, it helped me alot in the past and should be remembered.

nicopnas

01-22-2013

Hello guys, I'm a fellow summoner from Brazil and have designed this champ in the link (has illustration, lore and skills)
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2932337
if some of you could check it out and give me some feedback it would help a lot.

cheers.

Nicolas

Jocular

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
Contrary to popular belief, numbers on skills ARE important when making a champion concept.
I think you are using the wrong words to convey your point. A concept doesn't contain details; numbers are details. A concept can illustrate a picture of what they look/feel like and how they work, but it doesn't ever get into specifics.

Compare a diagram with a building floor plan. One is made to show relationships or give a feeling of the space and the other is made to actually construct the building; in most cases the technical floor plan is less legible/readable or as easily understood.

Don't get caught up on numbers. If the concept conveys how the champion works, how they feel, and what role they play... well then numbers are just for balancing purposes.

What about an ability that does damage or heals over time? Then state that. We don't have to know that it heals for 2.17% of maximum health every 3 seconds for 15 seconds and that the champions base health is 897, 1231, and 1692 at levels 6/11/16, respectively. That information is cluttering up a concept and is not necessary.

There are stages of design and the most successful designs often start at the beginning, with the concept. A champion's concept isn't tied to it's numbers; that's why balance tweaks can be made all the time. A concept is so fundamental that you would actually alter the way the champion feels or is perceived. Numbers can only make damage feel strong or lackluster. Some kits and concepts are so strong, they're a lot more fun to play regardless of how likely you are to dominate with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
Numbers matter. They hide intent.
Numbers hide intent by convoluting your intent. If the intent isn't obvious then your concept falls short somewhere... the whole point of a concept is to relay intent.

MilkusWolfus

02-01-2013

Thumbs up! I am new to the champion creation/review process and I have fell victim to feeding a trolls ego by constant back and forth of irrelevant and unnecessary posts. I am looking forward to using this post to help give good reviews and hopefully get some in return. =D

KoutaNage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Thumbs Up, Useful information is useful!

TP Dragios

05-29-2013

Nice guide, its pretty helpful
I wish everyone could follow it :/

I'd like if you reviewed my champ
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3477895
Thank you

Estefunny

06-24-2013

@ Jaykoboy: Hello, thank you a lot for this thread, but i've see you Multilangual part of this, have you just inserted your text into google-translator? I would help you translating your guide, especially the german part.

tman3000

11-01-2013

[role] ap mid champion

[lore] as a young boy tentigon loved hiding but when he was playing a game of hid and seek he fell into a hole in the earth when he hit the ground his leg was broken and he had a really bad headache. In the hole was very very dark tentigon was very scared of the dark but when he looked up he saw a shadow this shadow was nocturne the shadow said hello little boy what brings you here my name is nocturne tentigon was very scared now but he said i fell into this hole by accident sorry if a disturbed you. no no you didn't disturb me tell what is your name tentigon said my name is tentigon
"what a nice name where are you from" said nocturne "thank you" said tentigon well said nocturne now your part of the darkness tentigon was turned into a monster of shadow he had horns and a black staff and dark flame on his back now tentigon you have to get ride of the light for ever now go my monster go and get ride of the light.

[spells] [hidden passive] at level 6 if tentigon kills leona or lux he gains a buff called king of darkness it gives him mana regan and health regan

working on the rest

Booleans

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirge Farum View Post
About the only suggestion I can make right now (as I neither post or review Champions currently because of my horrible computer) is perhaps bolding things like 'Preliminary Rule #3' or 'Step #5' just so its easier to find on the list without it mushing together so much...
I would actually list this type of thing as a technique for good critique. I tend to have giant (read: GIGANTIC) walls of text when I take time to review a concept that I think is exceptional. Because of how much information I put into such posts, I like to bolden certain parts of it to emphasize what the main point of the paragraph is so that they can skim through my wall and decide what critique is relevant, choosing to read the nonbolded part should they find my point to be interesting or important.

An example of this: I was reviewing a champion designed to be a mega-tank. The ulti listed was an invulnerability on the user (in this case the mega-tank). In my wall-of-text reply to the creator, I elaborated on why it was a bad idea to have a tank suddenly become untargetable. I boldened one part of it that said when you're role is to soak up damage, preventing the enemies from doing that just begs them to switch to your carries. This gets the point across on my main opinion on his ult, explains to the creator why my opinion is what it is, and allows the reader to completely skip over that particular wall of text because they've already seen what my point was. They can also read my wall of text to get a better explanation of my opinion should they so choose.

I bolden certain parts of my replies for repetition or emphasize on my points of critique. It is meant not to be rude or blunt, but to be concise and attention-grabbing. See what I did there?

Mr Zone7

06-01-2014

check this out lore am not the good with story and stuff like that sorry New champ idea

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4567061