How to Review a Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

07-04-2012

Happy independence day! Or, for you people who don't live in America (Ahmurrrica!) July the Fourth.

Jaykoboy

07-05-2012

Bumping.

gildar

07-06-2012

I live in Canada so our holiday already past and on topic of reviews. I dont know how to properly review numbers in stats, abilities and other things. I try to help some of the concepts here that are good but can't tell if what i read is good, bad, OP or UP. is there a definitive way of knowing?

Jaykoboy

07-06-2012

Well, numbers (as in damage) can't be determined OP or UP until they're actually tested in game; I have seen Xerath, who doesn't have the best AP Ratio or base damage on his Q, chunk someone's health with it using a basic build, while an Annie using Incinerate (which, if I remember, has better ratios and base damage) did about the same. I would recommend just reviewing numbers like duration, range, heal percentage, and the likes.

fefddfef

07-06-2012

+ 1/bump

Needs to be kept on top

Jaykoboy

07-06-2012

Thanks for the support!

Jaykoboy

07-07-2012

Another bump.

LEGENDARYPONY

07-07-2012

i agree this post should just stay at the top of the forum since it helps new reviewers like myself make useful reviews without unneeded info "like what is in the quotes"

Deliquescent

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
My opinion is that numbers change a lot over the course of designing a champion, so save them for when you've solved your other design concerns. My usual approach to champion creation is:

1) Come up with a core thematic.
2) Develop a character(not champion) around that thematic.
3) Analyze whether that character makes sense in the world of League of Legends.
4) Determine what role in the game the character best fits. If there is no fit, re-analyze the character.
5) Search for or create art that creates a compelling visual for my character. Often, this entails multiple, different pieces of art that explain my idea.
5) Begin to flesh out the character as a champion.
6) Explore the new champion's Lore. Where is he/she from? Why do they want to join the league?
7) Analyze the results of 6. Are those compelling reasons? Would the League accept such a champion?
8) Begin to flesh out a kit. No numbers at this phase.
9) Try to do a mental play through of a game utilizing that kit. How does the champion lane or jungle? What do they contribute to team fights? Are they fun to play as? Play against? Mirror lane?
10) If the 'game' goes well, potentially attach some numbers to it to better explain how I expect the champion to perform. If it goes poorly, return to 8.
11) Shop the idea around to some friends or coworkers and get their feedback. Incorporate it where needed.
12) Polish, polish, polish.

But that's just me.
Thats a good method, a little different from how I approach it though. Then again I love creating original characters with unique abilities, rather than revamping older abilities into a new character model.

1) I usually start with a unique mechanical idea of how a skill will work.
2) Then form a skill around that mechanic which best fits with what it is doing (eg ice based attacks for slows)
3) Usually if I get this far I've already thought of two other abilities with will syngerise well with the original skill, so I am able to round out most of the skill set, if not, work at it until I do.
4) Figure out if this champion fits into the world of LoL, and if this champ is balanced in terms of their skills (ie no press r to go invincible forever! skills etc), find which role they slot into (if any), and how this character would be played or exploited.
5) Then I reverse engineer the history behind the character which leads them to have the set of skills they do.
6) And of course, make them look sexy.

Jaykoboy

07-09-2012

Another bump. (Let's see if we can maintain this conversation.)