How to Review a Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samus93

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by exe3 View Post
For the concepts I feel that numbers are really only relevant for skills, doing base stats is way overboard imo unless there's something defining about it (like having 300 or 330 base movement speed to indicate if they're naturally slow or fast) as all that is really dependent on balancing and something you just simply can't theorycraft imo. Numbers on skills however give a good idea on how the skill will be used and its role.

Everything else like jokes and stuff are more for fun to me.
Fair enough, jokes and taunts are a nice little addition to a champion concept, and as we do this for fun then kudos to you however, when i'm reviewing a champ i completely ignore those sorts of things (and pretty pictures dont impress me unless the actual concept is good), but then numbers are not a huge issue to me either. If you ever see one of my reviews, you'll notice that i usually spend as much time talking about numbers as i do talking about everything else. That's not because i consider numbers more important then the actual ability, but that the numbers help define the ability. It's like Katsuni and Gruntala were saying earlier, an ability can have a completely different impact on enemies with just a few tweak. A champ i reviewed jsut the other day had a 2 second suppress that could be either extended for another 1.5 seconds as a stun, or cut short at that 2 second mark but the player gets a health boost in return. The OP did not even consider that 3.5 seconds of hard disable was extremely unfair, and so put it on a 10 second cooldown, as the health return was the champs only sustainability. When reviewing, i dont consider numbers more important then the base concept, its just that the numbers are usually much more unbalanced. But even if an ability is as OP as pre-nerf Akali i still say that after a bit off tweaking it could be an amazing ability. However if the base concept is flawed and the numbers are sound, then i'll recommend they try to fix it or just scrap it. I probably should just tell them scrap it (and explain why of course) however i know from experience that it's hard to completely remove an ability, its like removing part of yourself! And besides, numbers are solid. An 800 damage multi-target nuke that has a 3 second cooldown is obviously OP, and easily fixed. An ability that makes you stay on 1 hp for 5 seconds no matter what can sound OP as all hell (to tell you the truth, i still consider it strong, **** i love tryn) but this can be balanced out by the other abilities, and by the champions base stats. And bam! we're back to numbers again both the numbers and the base concept are important, and both are required to make the champion balanced. However, numbers are easily changed (and so it doesnt hurt to add them), whereas a concept isnt.

EDIT: maybe i should do a tl:dr for that wall of text .... except its kinda more of a slab then a wall ..... and i'm lazy .... screw it, you can all read.

Roguest0

02-20-2012

can you please review my champion, that would be amazing to get a pro feedback like that hehe.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...iselle&page=65

Jaykoboy

02-20-2012

A bump for the afternoon!

Drake O Dagger

02-21-2012

bump

Jaykoboy

02-21-2012

A bump for the night!

Jaykoboy

02-22-2012

What time of day would this be now...? I'll just say afternoon.

Jaykoboy

02-22-2012

Bump for the night!

Jaykoboy

02-24-2012

A bump during free time right before the end of school...shh...

Yemmers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotames View Post
well, nautilus is loosely based off of a concept of mine (he was a tad more whimsical in my idea), and there's been some inspiration drawn from either kits or concepts here and there, so i'm told. A few other ideas have been accepted, so we'll see what happens with those in the long run. Even accepted ideas don't always make it to the game. Ultimately, i'm just happy to contribute. I've gotten a better understanding of what makes up a good champion along the way as a bonus.

As for numbers vs no numbers, that's something i did notice when i was browsing. I don't really mind much one way or the other, but i do understand that most people here are looking for something more fully fleshed out- there's talk of jokes, taunts, etc, which is something i don't even usually put too much thought into. Not that they're a bad thing! They help define personality, which is definitely important.
i love nautilus ty for contributing to him!!!

Apolyc

02-24-2012

Bumping for the common good