How to Review a Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

02-13-2012

I'll be bumping this for the last time in a couple days. I'm not going to be on the forums for a bit, so feel free to bump this up while I'm gone.

Also, Bigjew, I really don't mind you; just because you're negative towards me, doesn't mean that your posts aren't still bumps for my thread.

Walker21

02-13-2012

bump for helpfulness

Faster Mustache

02-13-2012

So what is the point of this guide exactly? To help people critique other people's imaginary concepts? That will never see the light of day? Okay.

Jaykoboy

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster Mustache View Post
So what is the point of this guide exactly? To help people critique other people's imaginary concepts? That will never see the light of day? Okay.
That is PRECISELY what it's supposed to do.

Walker21

02-14-2012

Ya the point of this post is not to get our idea's made exactly, just to share them with other people mmkay?

Prometheius

02-15-2012

Boredom bump.

Hˇuouin Kyouma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

bump

3pitaph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...8#post21040348

Give him some love. He'd give it to you!

Katsuni

02-16-2012

While I think of it, since yeu're trying to review a champion, it helps to know whot works and whot doesn't.

One of the biggest things though, is to try to provide useful hints, ideas, or at least lines of thought on where to go from where they are. For example, if someone has an ability that just isn't that fun or interesting, yeu may think of a way that "this'd be a bit neater if they did....", and the idea here is to offer yeur own thoughts.

Keep in mind they don't HAVE to follow yeur suggestion at all; a reviewer's suggestions are just that, suggestions. The person who makes their champion still has control in the end, however, giving them ideas or at least a direction to go, such as "this is very overpowered right now, but if yeu made a change in one of these three places, like this, this, or doing this.... would fix it..." gets them on the right track again =3

Remember, just saying "this is broken and sucks" is useless criticism. If they don't know WHY it's broken, or HOW to fix it, then yeu've honestly done nothing to help.

Be descriptive!

If something particularly irks yeu abouts a design, but yeu can't place a finger on it exactly, at least express it, but explain the situation as well. "Something about his Q just bothers me... it's not that it's overpowered, it just... feels really out of place or something, I'm not sure, it just feels 'wrong' to me is all" kinda dealie.

Sometimes yeu just don't know... other times, yeu know something's wrong but are not sure where to make it "right". For that, I have a guide to help peoples (which is currently being rewritten, but the current version is still more than helpful =3 ), which can be found here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=698074

If yeu need to have information on how to fix something, or why mechanics work the way they do, or any other information of that sort, then this is a great starting place to work from. The guide's there for the sake of providing people information to help make their stuff better in the first place, so feel free to make use of it =3

Anyways, like I've been saying though, just going "I liked it", is useless, it doesn't help an artist know whot to change to make it better. Saying "I hate it" is equally useless. Saying "This is an issue, but here's WHY it's an issue, why it won't work, and here's a few thoughts off the top of my head on ways to correct the problem" is gold.

The point of a review isn't to tell them how good or bad it is. Every design will have flaws, no matter how good yeu think the writer is (even Riot has flaws, even I have flaws, everyone makes mistakes, this is why yeu have supervisors and peer review and spend months of additional time fine tuning, tweaking, balancing, and doing revisions, and even then, it's never "done", simply ran out of time and money to make it better).

The point of the review, is to give a different perspective to identify things the original writer may not have thought of, and to help them make their design better. If yeu aren't explaining yeur perspective, and yeu aren't giving them anything useful to work with, then there's no point in reviewing anything.

Aim to give information that helps make stuff better. Keep in mind that even one's own perspective can be useful, in that we can't see things from all ends... sure, my design looks awesome to ME... but that's because *I* know how it should play... problem is, I knew how I wanted to build them, and didn't even THINK about the concept of "oh wait, someone can just stack bloodthirsters and become literally immortal, oops".

See, the artist has two flaws... first off, they know how awesome something is "supposed" to be; if they're a good artist, they'll always feel like **** because they know their design should've been "better", if they're not so good at it, then they won't understand why other peoples don't like it as much.

The second flaw, is that it's very, very difficult to determine yeur own flaws and mistakes. We can generally only see things from our own perspective, and can't tell when we made a mistake until it either goes wrong in practice, or someone ELSE notices it. This is why we have peer review and supervisors; not because they necessarily know "more", but because they can see things we may've missed more easily than we ourselves can. Even those of us capable of seeing things from several perspectives and points of view, are still limited because of this.

In any case, my whole point is this: provide information with the intent of it being used to better the design. If yeu say something's good or bad, yeu need to explain why this is so, or it's useless information that can't be put towards bettering the design.

Keep in mind the whole purpose of a review, and yeur reviews will become that much more valuable =3

Drake O Dagger

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
I'll be bumping this for the last time in a couple days. I'm not going to be on the forums for a bit, so feel free to bump this up while I'm gone.

Also, Bigjew, I really don't mind you; just because you're negative towards me, doesn't mean that your posts aren't still bumps for my thread.
That's a good way to look at it. Regardless, wouldn't his harassment (and its definitely harassment by this point) qualify as a breech of the Summoner's Code?