Is Dominion ready for ranked?

Dominion should never have a ranked mode. 150 15.97%
I think it will be ready for ranked in the future. 331 35.25%
I think it is ready for ranked right now. 458 48.78%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is Dominion ready for ranked?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Notsuresure

11-24-2011

Ranked is, before anything, a matchmaking mechanic. Currently, Dominion is a coin toss. Dominion masters are getting matched up with people that have 0 Dominion wins. Most games are decided by the matchmaking system randomness and not by actually playing the game.

Ranked mechanics are not a popularity contest, are not justified by balance or proportional to it. Games with peak population of 500 have healthy ranked mechanics. Games that doesnīt even have balance as priority have healthy ranked mechanics. Some people here are mixing really different and separate concepts.

Dominion has been ready for ranked since day one.

I understand there are still reasons to delay the implementation, but devs should at least gave us a better matchmaking system in the meanwhile, like a hidden elo, or at least take into consideration won games (which i know itīs not a good one, but it would be a big improvement).

CWheezy

11-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i actually think that dominion's champion balance is at a pretty good place right now, especially with bans available in draft mode. my thoughts are elsewhere.

also, fighting game balance is a completely different beast.
Regardless of the games being different the concept is the same, just that instead of characters being changed,the effects of the stage could be changed as well

Yet, why should that matter? There are changes in SR constantly, shifting champs here and there, affecting the game and the meta. The excuse is still nonsense. In fact, more people competing for that top spot on the ladder would be better for your developers, because they would get a better view of what is really powerful, and can make changes accordingly (or no changes, the only thing I want changed is the window)

Notsuresure

11-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
speaking from my own experiences with dominion, i think there is still value in holding off from turning on ranked. in dominion's pre-season, it is a lot easier to make changes that could affect how the game is played.

also, even though there have been some great changes for dominion over the last few patches, i still feel that there are a few things left to shore up. they might be minor in the grand scheme of things, but i really feel that it's best for dominion and its players (myself included) if we give it a little more time.

there is a very obvious benefit in having a separate 'competitive' queue and displaying elo for that queue, and i don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but adding ranked dominion is a significant addition. we need to be sure that dominion is not just ready to start down that path, but able to continue making strides in that direction ad infinitum.

again, that's just my personal view as someone that takes dominion quite seriously (and has a lot of fun while doing so).
Then give us an improved matchmaking system meanwhile. You are assuming too many things out of games that are being decided by your broken and flawed matchmaking system.

I check the end screen of each game. Most times the scenario is that one team has 4 players with 100+ won games in dom and the other team has one guy with 0, three with 15 and one with 50.

You might have many reasons to not implement ranked yet, but that doesnīt mean that you have to ruin the whole experience for everyone meanwhile.

Waterd

11-24-2011

I have mixed feelings from seeing this red post. On one hand Im super happy that a red finally say something about the matter.

On the other hand I'm super sad about what I read. It makes no sense at all. I could do a long post but Cwheezy explained it quite well.

Whats the problem if you do big changes to the game while ranked is on? Summoner rift happend, In starcraft happen, in Fighting games happen.

Its not like every patch the changes are huge, no. Its not that you are planning to add a 6th point to hold and capture or double the amount of points.

I almost think Im being naive here and the reasons to not put ranked dominion like next patch are not being told.

There is nothing to gain by not putting ranked dominion next patch. So its a hardware problem or a marketing problem we are not told about.

The idea that its better for the health of the game to delay turning ranked on has no basis, and no precedent on any game ever tell us is the right move, if anything some games died or suffered from the exact opposite, taking too long to have any competitive support.

Whatever problem is in the gamemode WONT BE FOUND outside of competitive environment, exactly as it happened in SR. If SR would have never had ranked, you would never found a lot of problems.

You can change the game after ranked is on? Yes, you did with SR, Will the game benefit in anyway from not having ranked? No precedent exist on any game where adding ladder or ranked negatively impacted a game success.
So really, whats the reason?

UglyPete

11-24-2011

In a game where every 2 weeks a new champion is released there isn't much you can really do to the game that isn't more game changing/breaking.

How did Riot ever allow season 1 to run it's course with a new variable being thrown into the mix every two weeks, and how do they continue to do it?

I have this growing lack of confidence in Riot and Dominion. If it takes this long to start a preseason how long will it take them to fix balance issues? Issues that they can't even see yet til a solid meta is developed.

Waterd

11-24-2011

yeah SR had HUGE changes during season 1, from changes to dragon and baron that changed a lot how SR is played to Items changes and ADDITIONS. and yeah of course a patch every 2 week including a WHOLE NEW CHAMP.
I think the armor pen change was during season 1? Not sure.
So you had to wait more for SR ranked? NO in fact Riot took longer than needed to start ranked in SR!.

PenguinPaladin

11-24-2011

I think it's pretty close. Maybe get a few more changes out.

Zerdo

11-24-2011

With Season 2 here it should be ranked.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-24-2011
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyPete View Post
How did Riot ever allow season 1 to run it's course with a new variable being thrown into the mix every two weeks, and how do they continue to do it?
we have a team dedicated to champions, and part every team's responsibility is ensuring that what they introduce to the game is a healthy addition--that includes both classic and dominion.

RE Bantos

11-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
I'm curious as to what changes you think need to be made still, the only incoming one I know of is the Warmogs replacement... and that hardly sounds game changing.

(I've been pretty happy with the overall gameplay since the mogs/priscilla removal myself.)

Regardless, it's nice to see some red activity in this subforum, +1.
I'm just waiting for people to realize that Fratma's is superior to Atmog's.