Is Dominion ready for ranked?

Dominion should never have a ranked mode. 149 16.14%
I think it will be ready for ranked in the future. 330 35.75%
I think it is ready for ranked right now. 444 48.10%
Voters: 923. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is Dominion ready for ranked?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hugs From Momma

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
The only real difference between carrying Dom games and SR games is that in SR you can pentakill an idiotic enemy team and pray that your team will clue in to take down their towers or baron, whereas in Dominion you can roll bottom lane and pray that your team can at least hold your middle point.
And that's a big difference. One scenario leaves your team much more powerful and in a better position to win, while on Dom, that penta would have no real meaning to the ultimate outcome.

Also, I also never said that every team can be carried on SR, as that's clearly not true. But the amount of carrying you can do on SR is far, far greater than Dom, which can make the latter a very frustrating mode to play.

5v5 arranged teams I can see having ELO, but solo, that's just a recipe for being trapped in ELO hell.

Nekrogen

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugs From Momma View Post
And that's a big difference. One scenario leaves your team much more powerful and in a better position to win, while on Dom, that penta would have no real meaning to the ultimate outcome.

Also, I also never said that every team can be carried on SR, as that's clearly not true. But the amount of carrying you can do on SR is far, far greater than Dom, which can make the latter a very frustrating mode to play.

5v5 arranged teams I can see having ELO, but solo, that's just a recipe for being trapped in ELO hell.
Don't think of it as carrying then. If you are a good Dominion player and understand where you should be at all times, then you will make an enormous difference on the game's outcome. Sure it's harder to "carry" than Summoners Rift, but it is certainly possible to wreck bads while playing with bads (and as a result come out with a victory). When you get to high elo Dominion, it is actually a very dynamic experience because everyone knows what they're doing, which makes for very intense and extremely satisfying games (which, imo, is better than "solo carrying"). Even in the higher elo games, being good at the game mode in general is going to put your team in an advantageous position, which is exactly what you need; every second counts.

Of course, if no one knows what they're doing, then there isn't going to be a clear cut winner either (thus a problematic elo hell), so I can agree with that aspect, but then against isn't that the same with SR soloqueue?

Waterd

11-25-2011

Justaire, you are missing the point, if every of those player name those 20 champs, we will end with the whole LOL roster.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
also, while dominion is very accessible for players looking for a 'quick fun game' i also think that dominion is also a testament to how coordinated and adaptable a team can be in a fast-paced competitive environment. imo, how well a team performs in dominion is a lot more telling than how they perform in classic. it's part of the reason why i like it so much.
i wish more SR players saw this.

like more than 1/10.

in SR, you have 10m or so to 'feel out' your opponent - their play style and quality. this is called laning phase and is the single most boring, tedious and counter-intuitive part of LoL.

in Dominion, you're thrown right into it. deal with it.

i LOVE it.

Cauldrath

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaire View Post
Yes, people keep claiming that and you should take it seriously before dismissing it.

When most of the community sees the same champions over and over (the same 20 champions) with an occasional wildcard that is not healthy for a company making its money off the sale of champions. Perhaps you could argue that they should just move forward from here and ignore the champions that are ignored...
This mostly just shows that most of the community are sheep that can't think for themselves. How else do you explain the constant banning of mediocre champs like Rammus, Jax, Shaco, and Akali, even more often than champs like Ryze or Yorick?

Sauron

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldrath View Post
This mostly just shows that most of the community are sheep that can't think for themselves. How else do you explain the constant banning of mediocre champs like Rammus, Jax, Shaco, and Akali, even more often than champs like Ryze or Yorick?
Depends on who picks first. If I'm team captain I will try to ban Ryze and get Yorick. If I'm premading with Nekrogen, I ban Yorick and try to get Ryze. If I'm not first pick, I might leave both open if neither have been banned when I'm making the sixth ban. You don't always want to ban ALL the OP champs.

Its exactly how S1 3v3 ranked worked.

Hugs From Momma

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
Of course, if no one knows what they're doing, then there isn't going to be a clear cut winner either (thus a problematic elo hell), so I can agree with that aspect, but then against isn't that the same with SR soloqueue?
Elo hell isn't about everyone being clueless - elo hell is a sort of theoretical dead zone where a good player cannot overcome the fact that they account for only 20% of players on their team, and their individual rating suffers, or fails to move beyond a certain point, because they cannot sway the outcome enough to improve their rating.

While I don't personally think elo hell exists as strongly as some people claim, it does take many games to reach your 'actual' elo on SR. Ranked solo queue Dominion would be far worse in this manner, as the low carry factor would make it take many, many more games to reach 'true' elo. [What do all the good players say about getting out of low elo? Play junglers & carries so you can steamroll and win the game despite bad teammates. Can't really do that on Dom]

And Nekrogen, I've played with you a bunch of times, I certainly know good Dominon games from bad...

Judah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

Been wondering why Dominion hasn't been given a ranked option.

Can you honestly say Twisted Treeline is more Balanced than Dominion right now? o.O2

Seems very unlikely that either of those maps will ever reach the point Summoner's Rift strives for, so why not just allow ranked Dominion for those of us who exclusively play this game mode?

animalmother101

11-26-2011

lets just play ranked and see what happens pre season is a good idea, but also up the points to make teams go through an endurance of playing and also to allow champs to get a full build or max level.

Sizmic

11-26-2011

bump