Soraka Weak?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slash12

10-01-2009

Obviously she's not a great killer (unless I'm playing her wrong). But what does she really bring?

- Her HoT heal scales terribly with AP, and doesn't seem that significant
- her Nuke is weak, scales terribly with AP, and is only useful for creeping
- She gives mana to other heroes, but how often does mana determine the outcome of fights?
- Her ultimate is her best ability, but it still seems lackluster, she only gets to cast it once in a fight, and since oponents tend to focus fire, it's like a single target heal in a group fight anyway.

So unless I'm missing something, she just doesn't seem to contribute much, I've itemized her for AP, for friendly aura's, and I've even tried for physical DPS, and nothing has really felt significant. It just seems like in a group fight (where games are typically decided) she's nothing more then bit of an HP battery/mana battery in lulls between fights, and during the actual fights, just an extra target.

Of all the heroes I've played, Soraka really seems like the most insignificant. Other heroes have better support abilities then she does, AND good abilities to match them.

Yet I continue to toil away, as a pure support hero really does appeal to me. It just seems like compared to other games, soraka is like "oh, there's soraka, let's just ignore her, and clean her up later, she's not doing anything for the fight"

Suggestions: A better heal, her HoT/Armor spell just doesn't seem that significant, in fact flat out worthless in the middle of late game fights (due to terrible AP scaling).

Vangu

10-01-2009

Most people that play her a lot agree that Astral Blessing could use a bump up in the healing it does aswell as the armor. I can just hope that it comes sooner or later because she really needs it.

Other then that I find her a great champion and yes end-game the mana she gives is not game changing it it does help alter how the game ends. Lets say you have lich or someone that needs to go back to heal early because they got attacked and are out of mana. You heal them and give them mana and now they are getting more xp/gold that they normally wouldnt have got and this is making them stronger then if they would have left. Yes it wont help by much but it does help as the other team will have to head back.

Also in team battles some champions will run out of mana making them usless after the inital battle you give them mana and now they can add more to the battle.

I personally don't think starcall is meant to be a champion killer because you are a healer and you are pure support so that would just be silly. But it does kill creeps in about two hits at rank five with no AP...cant really ask for a better spell. And it does enough damage with its taking magic res down so if someone is low life and running away you can kill them before they can kill you in most cases. Thank god for that ult....

I don't think Soraka is meant to be a healer that stacks AP because other then her ult everything is a huge waste. But to be fair end-game with 40% cd reduction you can use Wish (her ult) every 36 secs and it has a 1AP:2+ ratio on it making it a very good spell if you do stack it. I personally get items that allow me to cast spells faster and help my team at the same time.

Locket
boots of haste (or w/e +3 boots are called)
frozen heart (helps me reach 40% and I can cast spells faster as well as have armor)
Aegis of the Legion

Arafel

Friend of Urf

10-01-2009

She's amazing throughout the game. Early on, especially if she solos, she can outlast any hero or two and push hard whenever they have to get to base. Max out her cooldown reduction first and see how that does for you.

slash12

10-01-2009

I usually go with a similar item build...but none of the item aura's and none of soraka's ability's seem to do anything in the group fights that form in the middle late-game, that decide games, she's just dead weight, except she can pop off her ultimate at some point during the fight. That ultimate alone doesn't seem to make up for her complete lack of ability to contribute anything else to the fight (when you consider how much damage any of the opposing heroes will putout throught the course of that fight).

Vangu

10-01-2009

Maybe you are just playing with bad players because Soraka is very dependent on your team being smart and good. If you have a bad team Soraka can do nothing and will be a waste of a champion. If you have a good team then Soraka is well worth a place in the team and does great.

I personally think Alistar is the best champion to be around if you are playing Soraka as I have been in a few games with him (not planned) and when we laned we got the kills. End-game with him diving in to kill champions and I Just heal and spam starfall...we get more kills. Same applies to master yi but he does not need the help as much if he has the items to kill all champions in a couple hits.

Also it seems I need to pointout that starfall is not as bad as some people make it seem. You can spam it every second or so...well actually in patch notes I read the cast time was reduced even more so we can cast it every .50 seconds now or what? So with the 200+ damage from it per cast and it reducing magic resistance you are doing a solid 200+ damage every half a second. That is more then what Eves hate spike does with 500+ AP.

Zeyk

10-01-2009

Did you read the patch notes? She has a respectable free nuke with a long silence now and Starcall is extremely spammable(laning against her is just obnoxious, it has such a huge radius). I think stacking AP on her for that and the healing will be very effective.

KuBaN

10-01-2009

Following this most recent patch, I think she's effing perfect! Build up mana, armor, and cooldown (Frozen Heart is the quintessential item for her IMO), and watch the ownage.