AP/CDR Nasus - The Intergalactic Dog of Mystery

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vydelar

11-21-2011

WARNING: This build is only viable for the Crystal Scar. Summoners that try to use this build in the Twisted Treeline or Summoner's Rift will be crushed, mocked, insulted, and reported to Summoner Hyfe for removal of the ability to summon the Curator of the Sands in future matches. You have been warned.

Greetings Summoners. I am here to explain a strategy of using Nasus in Dominion seperate from the average Nasus builds. I will not be explaining everything, for I expect a passing familiarity of how Nasus works, but I will explain how this build works in relation to what position I take with him. Let us begin.

1. Abilities

Passive - Soul Eater - Irrelevent. This ability, although useful, plays little roll in the strategy of AP/CDR nasus.

Q - Siphoning Strike - Territary/Secondary. It is useful to get a single point in this at 3 or 4, and level it in relation to the ability of you being able to actually use it in lane. A large amount of the time, you will not be able to use Siphoning Strike to kill targets, so it will be underleveled, but if you can get into a situation where you can boost it a degree through overpressure, add more points to this skill.

W - Wither - Secondary/Territary. The alternative of siphoning strike, level this if you can't get in range to use Q. The use of Wither is much more pronounced, with the ability to try to retreat from ganks, or initiate on champions pressured to their turret.

E - Spirit Fire - Primary. It possibly goes against all your normal thoughts to max Spirit Fire, but with the ability having an extremely large AoE, it grants a lot of use of field control in the smaller battlefield of Dominion. At the lower lane, it is a sniping/pressure tool, ideally used to clip the enemy champion with the edge and demolish minion waves simultaneously. Upper lane, it would work as an enabler, in tandem with Wither, and whatever AD champion is on your team.

R - Fury of the Sands - There is little to say about this ability beyond what would normally be used with it, except that it will be doing a bit more damage than normal due to the improved AP.

2. Summoner spells
Reguardless of what lane you go, top or bottom, I would suggest Garrison as one of your summoner spells. You don't have the fast initiation of some other champs to make the burst ignite combo valuable, exhaust is somewhat irrelevent due to wither, and most the other non-mobility spells are rather weak with the build design.

If you are going bottom lane, you'll want to get Promote. There's little alternative of choice here. Being a strong pressure champion, a well timed promote can turn a gank around, and make a champion wish he never tried to attack in melee.

For top lane, the choice would either be Ghost or Flash, dependent on the situation. Ghost gives more mobility for longer, but flash allows you to instantly close, maximizing the usefulness of Fury of the sands.

3. Runes/Masteries.

I am not going to point out perfect runes/masteries, but I will give some suggestions related to the mastery tree.

Offensive - Offensive tree is pretty simple to examine, just drive straight down any part of the tree that improves AP/Damage.

Defensive - Defensive's top highlights are Juggernaut, Veteran's Scars, and Enlightenment.

Utility - Intelligence, and Transmutation are the highlights of this tree, with a notice to greed. You might not think much of 2 gold/10 on a map that ticks gold so fast, but I've made good use of abusing gold/5 before.

Needless to say, if you do end up going top lane, both Mercenary and Sage can be viable choices. (Much less so on bottom)

Runewise, it is a lot easier to choose, Marks are MPen, there's little choice there. Seals and Quints should grant enough CDR/Level to max cdr with 20% between level 16 and 18, with excess seals/quints being a free choice. Glyphs are a free choice as well, where the choice could be armor, health, dodge, or potentially mana/5. It might seem silly to use mana/5 on dominion, but the potential use of saving money by making your mana pool sustainable enough to not need mana/5 could be considered.

4. Bottom Lane.

When you start dominion and are choosing to hold the bottom lane, you choice of starting item is dependent on who you are against. You build to counterpick the champion. Against AP champions, my normal starting item is Fiendish Tome, and the core existing of Morello's, Hextech/Wota, and Merc Treads. Against AD champions, I use an advantage of the map, starting with nothing, running down to cap the starting turret, then recalling, and immediately buying glacial shroud, expanding to hextech, and tabi/mercs dependent on their cc abilities.

The early levels consist of trying to pressure the enemy champion by edge sniping with spirit fire. The instant damage of the spell makes it an immediate danger for anyone, but also realize that at low champion levels, it's cooldown can be prohibitive, which might allow ganks upon yourself. If the opponent uses promote on you early, just let the lane get pushed, and use garrison to stop the capture. You should save your promote ideally for either when the opposing champion is slaughtered, or forced to their turret. If the opposing champion recalls, it is a good time to press to their turret, then recall yourself to avoid being outgeared.

Dependent on the champion I have to deal with, and how strong the pressure is I put versus they deal, I will either build tank or ap dependent on their type, (Thornmail/frozen for ad, Odyn's Veil/Abyssal for AP, and if I am having few issues, ganks or opposing champion Void staff, and gunblade make good choices.)

As the levels go on, minion pressure will become nonexistant for Nasus, due to the absolute ease he has of melting minion waves, and gaining sustain from them. Your objective is not to try to gank the opposing champion, if you have no backup coming from top lane (if you do go for it). Your objective is to put extreme pressure upon a lane beyond what most champions can deal with.

5. Top lane. I personally haven't done much in top lane, but the situation is changed slightly, for you will have to worry about getting defensive items first. The strategy at windmill is just poke, and buy time till your team has the advantage, and can engage. Upon top lane, After getting the cdr of choice, and some tanking items, the idea of claiming either Trinity force or Lich bane (dependent on how much ap you expect to have). Your position of the team is pressure/turret initiator, and if given the chance, charging in being fairly tanky with your ultimate up, and killing turret damage with garrison will buy your team time to successfully assault the turret.

6. Offensive defense. When you are on an advance turret alone, dependent on how many champions are engaging, it might not be worth sticking around. If 3 or more champions are engaging a turret, your best bet is to just dump spirit fire and fall back to your side's turret, buying the few seconds you can. Given 2 champions, you want to be standing at the outer edge, using spirit fire to harrass until they eventually engage towards you instead of trying to recover the turret. Single champions can be defensive harrassed standing straight under the turret, using spirit fire to burn outwards. Also consider the minion waves when holding an offensive point. Two champions and a strong minion wave is a lot harder to deal with than just two champions. In the situation, you'd want to try to melt the wave asap, and potentially martyr yourself to buy as much time as possible, for if you don't melt the minion wave, you might be hard pressed to deal with the defensive point by the time you respawn.

7. Summary.
This is the simple TL/DR version.
Garrison and ghost/flash/promote.
20% cdr from runes/masteries.
Spirit fire everything.
Build Spell Vamp, cdr, ap and defense related to who you are against.
Melt Face.

If you got any questions, or thoughts that I might have missed, bring them up and I'll try to answer.

Seņor Pancho

11-21-2011

I dunno.. I tried it and it was ok, but IMO nothing beats trinity, atmas, sunfire.

for the AP build to actually do damage against your average bot lane foe, you need at least 250 AP and lichbane. you will be so squishy, there is no way you will survive a pantheon mandrop or a vayne gank.

the sunfire combined with spirit fire clears a wave pretty good. if you can reach 25% CDR you will have wither and SF on a pretty low CD, so farm up.

when the fed nasus decides to leave bot, watch the **** out !

Vydelar

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Pancho View Post
I dunno.. I tried it and it was ok, but IMO nothing beats trinity, atmas, sunfire.

for the AP build to actually do damage against your average bot lane foe, you need at least 250 AP and lichbane. you will be so squishy, there is no way you will survive a pantheon mandrop or a vayne gank.

the sunfire combined with spirit fire clears a wave pretty good. if you can reach 25% CDR you will have wither and SF on a pretty low CD, so farm up.

when the fed nasus decides to leave bot, watch the **** out !
It sounds like you are more relying on the fact that you'd have to kill the opposing champion to win the lane. That is not necessary, when you can outpush, and give enough pressure to eventually whittle a person down through spirit fire. I believe that you are rather underestimating the damage that a level 5 40% cdr Spirit fire can do, even given just the edge + 1 tick on the opposing champion, which is 258+.72ap raw (before mr) every 7.2 seconds, of which only 2.2 seconds of that time the aoe isn't up.

That's really the main reason that Nasus is so beastly bottom. Spirit fire is the largest Non-Ult aoe ability in the game.

The Wrongsword

11-22-2011

I did not read this post, and I do not play Nasus. I have only ever seen mediocre Nasus players on Dominion.

I did however, thumbs up this post because the title is excellent.

+1

Aehron

11-23-2011

I have found that starting Prospector's Ring and picking up an early Sheen is plenty of AP to push (and bully an enemy bot) if I max Spirit Fire first. I usually split points in Siphon and Wither. I go with normal Nasus stuff after the Prospector's Ring -- Triforce, Atma's, Glacial Shroud, FoN, Starks... whatever is best against the enemy comp. The ring is really nice for early pushing and mana regen, and I feel like that's all I need.

Granted, I only really play bot on Nasus unless there's need for a mid- or late-game lane swap, but I've had good success with him. I honestly haven't kept track of my W / L on him, but I know that it is very much positive. He's a very solid champ with just a bit of early AP and a standard build... I really think that's all you need for him. I even run 16 / 18 / 0 masteries for 10% magic / armor pen, so that I can still picking up scaling CDR in the tank tree.

Vydelar

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aehron View Post
I have found that starting Prospector's Ring and picking up an early Sheen is plenty of AP to push (and bully an enemy bot) if I max Spirit Fire first. I usually split points in Siphon and Wither. I go with normal Nasus stuff after the Prospector's Ring -- Triforce, Atma's, Glacial Shroud, FoN, Starks... whatever is best against the enemy comp. The ring is really nice for early pushing and mana regen, and I feel like that's all I need.

Granted, I only really play bot on Nasus unless there's need for a mid- or late-game lane swap, but I've had good success with him. I honestly haven't kept track of my W / L on him, but I know that it is very much positive. He's a very solid champ with just a bit of early AP and a standard build... I really think that's all you need for him. I even run 16 / 18 / 0 masteries for 10% magic / armor pen, so that I can still picking up scaling CDR in the tank tree.
Well, my thought of the matter is that nasus scales in three degrees. With time (creep kills with Q) With cdr, and with AP. Since we can't rely on time based scaling in dominion, I maximize the other paths to make up for it. It also stops you from being put into dangerous situations bottom in comparsion to a normal nasus build like yours, which honestly would be what you'd more likely build for an upper lane or roamer. Possibly the second factor is the fact that thornmail+kiting completely shuts nasus down. It's the same bane that afflicts most ad champs, a bit less to nasus due to the natural lifesteal, but Nasus is fairly easily kited, which can be painful in a lane that relies on zoning on both sides.

I can see the potential though of going prospector+sheen part, but i figure I gain so much gold bottom anyway, that I'll get more value for my gold by ignoring prospector items, and relying on completed items, usually around the 2k mark.

And i guess you mean 12/18/0 masteries.

Mindllapse

11-23-2011

here's the thing with bottom laners that use ground-aoe (nasus, morgana)

early on you will outpush the hell out of them

but once they stack up some damage they will 1 shot your 3 creeps every time and not allowing your ground-aoe to keep ticking since their creeps just keep moving forward

kind of a pain in the ass sometimes

Vydelar

11-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
here's the thing with bottom laners that use ground-aoe (nasus, morgana)

early on you will outpush the hell out of them

but once they stack up some damage they will 1 shot your 3 creeps every time and not allowing your ground-aoe to keep ticking since their creeps just keep moving forward

kind of a pain in the ass sometimes
If they are getting that much damage, there's something wrong with how the aoe champ is playing, for you should always be melting the creeps faster than the opposing champ, early, mid or late game.

Magma Armor0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2011

I tried playing an AP nasus the other day...Lich Bane made it REALLY scary; with enough AP, your siphoning strike wrecks them if they get in close, and spirit fire makes for a powerful pusher.
just a suggestion to buy lich bane. I'll go now

FDru

11-24-2011

I tried spellvamp and it's just so weak on Nasus. Even with a pure AP build, it heals for nothing because of the AOE reduction and long cooldown on spirit fire. Better to just rush a FoN for sustain, then triforce for the AD boost (lifesteal).

I think the only time I'd consider WotA is if I really really didn't need MR (so no FoN).