Crit Damage Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mjollnir

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnB84 View Post
Like I said, team work. Corki and Taric working together can reduce armor by around 60 with their abilities. If they have black cleaver and stark's, they can drop it even further.

Of course, you can't debuff a turret's or Nashor's armor or perform critical strikes on the former, so there is that advantage.
If it takes something highly situational in a situation that is highly unusual to make something be on par, then that something is not on par at all. Adding that in there doesn't contradict his point that they are generally weaker and at best questionable.

CnB84

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
If it takes something highly situational in a situation that is highly unusual to make something be on par, then that something is not on par at all. Adding that in there doesn't contradict his point that they are generally weaker and at best questionable.
It's not really situational if your team decides ahead of time that that is what you're going to do. Not to mention the fact that crit damage is stronger against extremely high amounts of armor.

Say you have 2.93 crit damage and 100 damage. That's 293 damage. You hit a target with 200 armor. Your damage is reduced to 96 per crit. Now let's say you have 29 armor pen and 2.6 crit damage. That's 260 crit vs. 171 armor. You'll be doing 93 damage per crit.

Now let's say you have last whisper mixed in. You'll penetrate 80 armor with the 293 build, allowing you to hit for 131 damage on crit. Now let's add last whisper to the armor pen build, knocking the target down to 102 armor. That's a little less than 130 damage on crit.

Of course, armor pen is better if you don't crit or if the target has less than 100 effective armor up until the target is below 10 armor, at which point crit damage is better, provided that you crit.

Personally, I roll with crit damage and last whisper. I don't lose much vs. lightly armored targets and the gain is appreciated vs. heavily armored ones.

Also, I think if they buff crit damage runes, they ought to nerf Infinity Edge and/or the crit damage mastery along with it. That way armor pen builds will not be enjoying crit damage buffs.

VMan7

06-30-2010

Quote:
Personally, I roll with crit damage and last whisper. I don't lose much vs. lightly armored targets and the gain is appreciated vs. heavily armored ones.
Except that rolling armor pen and last whisper is better.

CnB84

07-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan7 View Post
Except that rolling armor pen and last whisper is better.
Only against targets with less than 100 armor.

VMan7

07-01-2010

Quote:
So basically every dps and caster in the game?

Disco System

07-01-2010

Quote:
your debate is getting pwned, and logic clearly evades you. let it be. armor pen > crit damage (runes)

CnB84

07-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan7 View Post
So basically every dps and caster in the game?
If a target has less than ten or more than a hundred and seventy armor after reductions and flat penetration, critical strike damage will be better with Last Whisper. And regardless, the difference is neglible unless a target is driven into the negatives.

Again, I think they should nerf Infinity Edge and buff Critical Damage runes. It'd make armor pen less attractive.

Draktok

07-01-2010

I would agree, like the OP I bought a full red page of crit damage, which IMO now crit chance is better for the few champs like gangplank i bought them for - since crit chance was removed as a base stat.

VMan7

07-01-2010

Quote:
If a target has less than ten or more than a hundred and seventy armor after reductions and flat penetration, critical strike damage will be better with Last Whisper. And regardless, the difference is neglible unless a target is driven into the negatives.
Except that you have to back it up with Crit Chance as well, and armor penetration effects ALL your hits, not only your crits.
Quote:

Again, I think they should nerf Infinity Edge and buff Critical Damage runes. It'd make armor pen less attractive.
That's a terrible idea.

Carados

07-01-2010

They nerfed crit damage because it pretty much allowed certian characters to instantly gib a low armor, low HP character at level 1. If they return, I'd expect them to be scaling.