Remove "Score" From Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taenaryn

12-23-2011

1) Points for interrupting capture. Bonus points if you interrupt many interrupts within, say, 10 or 15 seconds. With a big LOCKDOWN sound effect if you interrupt five different channellers at once.

2) Killing minions. Even though it's true you might get people who aren't bot who farm minions, minions only spawn if the next node is an enemy node. By definition you're helping to cap the enemy point (even if your time would be better spent actually capping it). It rewards Bot laning and even people who are just point chasing are still contributing *something*. (yes, you can waste time killing minions that have spawned after the enemy point has been captured. This, however, is an extremely limited resource and they won't waste *much* time).

3) Change Point Defense to +5 if you're in your point's sight radius when an enemy is within a certain range and *only* when an enemy is within a certain range. Then make it check, say, every 5 seconds (if you're defending a long time for instance). By making Defender only proc when an enemy is in threatening range, it encourages *active* defense, not just sitting on your cap while your team does all the work.

4) Kildeer. I dont' know if it's even *possible* for the game to know how long you've been chased by an enemy especially if you don't have the enemy targeted (I almost never do). If it can be programmed though, it would be *awesome* for you to get a bonus for people chasing after you for 10 seconds, allowing your team to go elsewhere. Conversely this rewards good behaviour for the chasers if they stop chasing the kill and actually go do something useful in order to prevent you getting bonus points.
(A kildeer is a shorebird. When a predator nears its nest, it flaps and pretends to be injured. It leads the predator away from its nest before miraculously healing and flying off once its nest is safe)

EDIT: It should be possible. Many champion abilities trigger when going towards an enemy as opposed to away from one.

5) Change Martyr. You get points for dying on your node, but the longer you defend (see point 3) the more it would increase your Martyr bonus. Again, have it count only when the enemy is in threatening range (and resets after, say, 10 or 15 seconds). Say Martyr increases by +2 per second. If you survive 5 seconds while defending, +10 Martyr bonus. But if you survive 23, your Martyr bonus is +46. This would encourage people to try harder to defend, and if people just run to a point to die for a martyr bonus they'd only get a few points instead of 30.

This would encourage group caps. A group would reduce the enemy's Martyr bonus because they cap faster. But the defending team wins too, because that means there are fewer enemies elsewhere for either offense or defence.

6) Group capping. Change it. I suggest: If you start capping alone, and someone comes along to help, you get full credit, they get an assist (they should: it speeds the cap). The third person who joins gets nothing AT ALL. If two or more start capping at the same time, the credit is split equally among the cappers. Assists are what, 1/4 full credit? So have assists accumulate to reflect in the Capture/Neutralize section of the end game scoring (where it displays the number of captures and neutralizes) so that four assists equal a full cap.

If a cap is interrupted, but the point is captured by your team within, say, 20 seconds, all those who got interrupted get an assist. No one gets full credit. This rewards the defenders who tried to prevent the cap by reducing the enemy's points and/or gold/xp. The attackers however, get a node, which is reward all of itself.

One person helping to cap speeds the cap, so with this system they get credit for it, but four people capping the turret doesn't help at all and wastes resources so it limits pointmongering. You also don't get points for *almost* capping a point, but you *do* get credit in a teamfight (i.e. Windmill).

7) Killing an enemy while on a point (whether your point, or the enemy's point) is worth 25% more gold, points and XP than regular kills. Killing an enemy is obviously a good thing. Killing him on a tower whether you're defending or attacking is much better and better promotes the Capture and Hold style of Dominion while reducing the value of brush-hunting.

8) Medic: use a heal or shield ability on an ally while in a teamfight. (Rewards support champs)

9) Strategist: use a taunt, stun or snare on an enemy while he is attacking your ally. (Encourages teamwork, rewards tanks.)

Maybe you can also *remove* points for bad behaviour? I.E.:
* "Chasing your Tail: Chase an enemy for more than 10 seconds without a kill: -10 points". or
* "Team Player FAIL: <insert bad behaviour here>." I couldn't think of something that wouldnt' cause insane rage amongst teammates if you triggered this one. My initial FAIL thought was not helping a teammate in a fight... but sometimes you have to just let them die. If not helping a teammate in a fight was implemented, the screams of "Why did you group dive you idiot??" would echo throughout the universe. Hopefully someone has a useful idea here.
* "Twiddle your Thumbs: spend more than 20 seconds standing still". (****ing evidence for griefing or AFK if you had a negative score because of this one, no?)

I've tried to think of ways to avoid exploits, but perhaps someone can see a potential exploit here. If you do, tell me why: maybe we can think of a way to fix the exploit and make the idea viable.

Taenaryn

12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnirenGutha View Post
I also think assists need to be made more valuable. Along with everything else a good tank does. I often play a tank character on Dominion and I do pretty well most of the time but I always end up 4th or 5th. It's because I do things such as intercepting the enemy team before they hit the point and buying my teammates time to get the point. Best case I survive 3v1 and get next to no points since I do so little damage even though I just balantly handed my team a point on a silver platter.

A good tank takes the pressure off the carries and the team as a whole. He allows the team to capture points while he stuns and knocks enemies away. He holds the line and keeps a point from being captured while his teammates make their way to him. He holds an opponent at bay while the carry murders them. All of these things end up highly undervalued point-wise. That's my opinion at least. For what it's worth.
Also: this.

Raw Sex

12-23-2011

Here's the way I see it:

Point capture = base points + multiplier*1 for each second the base is held, decreased for multiple champions capping the same point

Defend point = base points + multiplier*0.25 for each second the base is held while champion is in the vicinity, bonus multiplier if enemy champion is killed within proximity of the tower

If champion is killed while defending a point, he gets base points + multiplifer*0.25 for the next 30 seconds, or until the tower is captured by the enemy, whichever is shorter. If he lasts more than 15 seconds in battle, or has dealt significant damage, he gets an additional bonus.

Defend point while point capture counts as point capture for the defending champions if they were there for more than 1/2 of the time it took to capture the point.

Capping a point, but defending it for less 30 seconds = half the base points and no additional

Assists/Kills get points pro-rated based on the amount of damage dealt to enemy champion, last hit gets a small bonus. Damage dealt, but no kill, within 15 seconds, doesn't count.

---

This way, bottom that captures 1 tower and holds it through the whole game, defending it against multiple champions, will get significant points.

Support/assisting champions will get rewarded.

Champions will be discouraged from running around capping points that cannot be defended.

Champions will be encouraged to defend a tower, over trying to get more undefendable captures and killing enemy champions, which is the point of the game.

Securing a capture by defending against enemy champions will have more weight.

As for players who "twiddle their thumbs", sometimes sitting on a base and defending is the right course of action. Some players will rush out and try to cap a 4th tower, and end up getting killed and leaving top defenseless.

Therefore, we must reward defending the tower, but also reward capture more if it succeeds. Sitting on a tower should not be penalized. It is hard to calculate team synergy, but if anything should be penalized, it would have to be if you don't get any new points for longer than 45 seconds, then you start losing points. In order for that to happen, you would have to sit on the summoner's platform, or somewhere in the jungle, doing nothing for an extended period of time.

cerealsmok3r

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2011

well the game is relatively new so they probably havent made include much balance the system atm and riot probably are figuring out ways to address some aspects of the mechanics of dominion

Mibuwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2012

all score does right now is put me in last place on really strong support/tank champs and first place for when i play awesome carries.

players with high egos then choose to brag about their score and demean anyone else's score.

as far as a fix goes, I dunno if there's much riot can do to fix this. removing it seems to be the best case.

Yaladilae

01-23-2012

The only thing i find should be, lower the point of capturing tower for 25 + 25, and increase assist point to be more inline to 30 from kill

why? 40 points is alot, and 80 for the whole tower, which makes a lot of players just stay and take the tower instead of letting 1 person do it and the others guarding / achieving other objectives (such as gank bot / recal for heal)

Ensign

01-23-2012

I'm wondering what the relative values of the different point-granting actions would be if regressed onto the win/loss dummy variable.

I have a suspicion that things like 'points captured' would actually have a negative value in that regression, which kind of amuses me.