[Guide] Beej's Guide to Lane Control and the Early Game

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beej

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoAzn View Post
Very informative on creep control and lane awareness. btw, you forgot to mention that you should always call MIAs so your fellow lanes won't get ganked ^^
You are right, I probably need to add a new section regarding Map Awareness to include such things as calling MIAs and chasing off junglers. Thanks.

sy Phil ís

06-30-2010

I'd read about last hitting before and always wondered what the big deal was. I figured it was better to keep their tower killing the minions instead of them. Makes sense now though. However, what do you do when your lane mate is intent on auto attacking? I solo queue most of the time so it's bound to come up. I'm assuming if the opponents are hellbent on auto attacking that you simply call for a gank once they overextend?

Beej

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Magic Stick View Post
I'd read about last hitting before and always wondered what the big deal was. I figured it was better to keep their tower killing the minions instead of them. Makes sense now though. However, what do you do when your lane mate is intent on auto attacking? I solo queue most of the time so it's bound to come up. I'm assuming if the opponents are hellbent on auto attacking that you simply call for a gank once they overextend?
My favorite way to stop an auto-attacking teammate is to last hit all the creeps they are attacking. Sometimes they realize whats going on and that they are not getting any gold and stop, then try to compete with you for last-hits. Problem solved.

However, This may not be the best team strategy, especially if you are Soraka and they are Ashe. If they are hell-bent on autoattacking and you know they need the gold more than you do, and you want to win, often the only thing you can do is support them, watch the minimap, and continually check the river bush for incomming ganks. Its a tough situation, especially if your opponents are savvy. I recommend linking this teammate my guide if your team loses.

A final option, which is riskier, is to continually hard push the lane, hoping either to reset it most waves so you can fight from relative safety, or to score an early tower kill.

If its your birthday, I'd recommend lighting a candle and wishing for opponents that also auto-attack.

Leirkov

06-30-2010

Just wondering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej
- Tristana -
Tristana's early game is tricky, bordering on weak. One of her best skills against champions, the one that does AOE damage when she kills a creep and activates to DoT/Reduce Healing on a Champ, makes her an unintentional lane pusher. Amusingly, the same skill can be used, in both it's functions, for effective harrassment. The fact that she almost unavoidably pushes and is squishy often forces her to employ special case hit and run tactics. Her low base damage makes last hitting more difficult. Her saving graces are her range, escape mechanisms, and harrassment capabilities. I think, however, her inability to safely, consistently farm early game is one of the reasons she is generally considered to be a less effective ranged carry than, for example, Ashe.
?

Yeah, I understand Trist's pushing powers is incredibly strong, however if you can push their tower quicker, or let the creeps do it, you'll eventually be the winner here. If you have good map awareness you really shouldn't be ganked. I've had an Ashe and Kog'Maw go MIA on me while I was soloing against Karthus, I got a kill on Karthus and then Ashe immediately came out and used her arrow while Kog tried slowing me. I cleansed and rocket jumped to safety. It's actually quite effective because most of the time even on a gank attempt people fail.

Hell, one time I was forced back because Amumu came to gank me, failed and went back. So Junglesticks comes to dive me because I'm at low HP, I pop a potion, use E and Ignite and he died. So funny. LOL.

You could also mention Trist in the "total denial" section. She has the ability with her range to completely obliterate anyone who tries to come get some EXP. Her E and amazing range make this very effective.

Morinav

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirkov View Post
Just wondering:

?

Yeah, I understand Trist's pushing powers is incredibly strong, however if you can push their tower quicker, or let the creeps do it, you'll eventually be the winner here. If you have good map awareness you really shouldn't be ganked. I've had an Ashe and Kog'Maw go MIA on me while I was soloing against Karthus, I got a kill on Karthus and then Ashe immediately came out and used her arrow while Kog tried slowing me. I cleansed and rocket jumped to safety. It's actually quite effective because most of the time even on a gank attempt people fail.

Hell, one time I was forced back because Amumu came to gank me, failed and went back. So Junglesticks comes to dive me because I'm at low HP, I pop a potion, use E and Ignite and he died. So funny. LOL.

You could also mention Trist in the "total denial" section. She has the ability with her range to completely obliterate anyone who tries to come get some EXP. Her E and amazing range make this very effective.
No no, the point is you DON'T want to push to their tower. You want them to push near your tower.

Junglers are really common, yes even in high level game. Junglers are always MIA and they're just looking for someone to overextend. A gank mid can be especially devastating since it will deny your team solo exp and there's no one else to pick up the slack to defend the tower. If the jungler comes and ganks Trist, there's a good chance you'll lose the tower before she can get back.

Besides, by pushing far, your jungler can't gank mid.

People might fail to gank you now, but you're going to have one hell of a time escaping from competent gankers.

Leirkov

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
No no, the point is you DON'T want to push to their tower. You want them to push near your tower.

Junglers are really common, yes even in high level game. Junglers are always MIA and they're just looking for someone to overextend. A gank mid can be especially devastating since it will deny your team solo exp and there's no one else to pick up the slack to defend the tower. If the jungler comes and ganks Trist, there's a good chance you'll lose the tower before she can get back.

Besides, by pushing far, your jungler can't gank mid.

People might fail to gank you now, but you're going to have one hell of a time escaping from competent gankers.
I see. I'm at ~265 wins but I'm probably better than most people my bad ELO. So I don't really know what the whole playstyle is in higher ELOs. I really don't go up to the tower though, that's the creeps job.

kr4ng

07-01-2010

Couldn't have written it up better than myself. I am glad you are using your time at work effectively.

MillitaryBeetle

07-01-2010

Im going to try that out, but as a DPS Taric, I need to continuously hit something in order to regain mana, what do I do then?

p.s. I also am astounded how you did not mention alistar as a strong early gamer, since his heal not only is a small push in itself, but every time anyone inches to the creepline you can pulverize and head butt them into space, effectively denying any sort of gold.

p.s.p.s. I play Alistar Kayle and Taric, Look me up if you still need members.

shadowchamp

07-01-2010

I almost always advocate for strong pushing, it is not difficult to auto-attack AND land last hits. Your opponants will always find it relatively difficult to compete with the tower for last hits and destroying that tower early gives your team huge traction and frees you and your lane buddy to gank/push other lanes. Map awarness/good communication allows you to avoid being ganked when pushing and take a break to step back.

However you are right Beej, not all champions and lane combo's can do this well and examining you and your enemies first blood -kill potential is crucial.

Veltorn

07-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillitaryBeetle View Post
p.s. I also am astounded how you did not mention alistar as a strong early gamer, since his heal not only is a small push in itself, but every time anyone inches to the creepline you can pulverize and head butt them into space, effectively denying any sort of gold.
By the definitions set out in this the guide, pushing equals weak early laning. You cannot deny the enemy champions anything if they have a small gap and you have a large gap. Their creeps are inside of their tower range and yours aren't close enough to take hits for you if you try to last hit for gold. Pulverizing the enemy champion in this scenario is probably suicide.

There is another strategy involving early pushing, but I think that would require a different guide.

1234567 ... 9