[Guide] Beej's Guide to Lane Control and the Early Game

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morinav

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Thank you for the guide, it was very informative and pointed out many things that I hadn't considered before. I'm a bit new to the game and thus had some misconceptions which this guide corrected. I'd like to shed some light on my previous (nooby) perspective. I knew that my goal was to gain more experience and gold than my opponents, but my approach to this was all wrong.

In every game that I played I actively tried to push my lane as hard as I could, with the goal of driving every creep wave into the tower. I thought that if I could do this I could deny my opponent of gold, while still getting a decent amount of gold for myself. While technically correct, it turns out that a superior strategy is to hold the line just out of range of your own tower, and use the space between the wave and their tower to deny weaker laning opponents access to the wave. Speaking of which, previously my only idea of denying experience was to kill my opponent or make him recall. I did not consider the possibility of occupying the space behind their creep wave to keep them away, probably because in my strategy that space never existed since I was actively trying to make my opponents hug tower.
It's true, being pushed up to your own tower is actually a pretty good place to be. The tower can complicate things a bit, but if you know the amount of damage your champion does, it's pretty easy to use the tower to last hit almost everything in the wave with little trouble. A good player won't be denied gold if they're being pushed up to a tower, the only real way to deny is to force them far away from their creeps. Now, if I'm in a side lane, I will rarely move past the middle line of the second bush at all, and certainly never if dudes are MIA.

I think it's natural for new players in MOBA's to just right click on creeps and push lanes as hard as they possibly can. Not a good idea for sure, but at first that seems like the reasonable thing to do. It wasn't until I finally noticed how hard I was getting ganked, over and over and over, that I realized I was doing something wrong.

villaj

06-30-2010

Great guide, lately i've been trying to do this in the lane phase. With annie's Q is easy and u could be in your lane forever. Also i'm playing nidalee a lot and his spear his great for harrasment and she is not bad at last hitting creeps. I hope u complete ur guide soon with the rest of the champions.

shubomber

06-30-2010

What fruit loop downvoted every post in the thread?

This is the most useful guide on the forum.

Fucshia

06-30-2010

Great guide. I already do most of this, but the hard push reset for the total denial strategy is something I hadn't thought of.

I'd also be interested in at least attempting to play with the pair of you. I added you, so we can talk about it the next time you happen to come online. Should be easier than clogging up the forums with useless information and whatnot.

flaminghito

06-30-2010

+1, very amazing guide. "The Gap" is an easy way to talk about the benefits of last hitting and I think it's going to start entering my vocabulary.

Hacked Soul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2010

Beej, awesome... more people need to read this. I consistantly ask lane partner when solo queue'ing not to auto attack creeps to no avail. Hit me up if you want to play sometime. I have one guy I pre with regularly and we are looking for a legit team.

Priamos

06-30-2010

Beej: do you go by the same name on Smogon?

Anyways, you should consider mentioning Morgana as a strong laner, as her puddles and snare work well together. Here's why: Dark Binding is a skillshot, and the best way to dodge a skillshot is to hide within your creeps. But if you're using Tormented Soil to farm the creeps (like you should be), then they can't hide within the creeps anymore!

Janna/Ezreal works similarly: Janna's Gales run through the creeps, Ezreal hits champs on the side, Janna shields Ezreal to make him hit even harder and take less damage. In general, I think this guide could benefit from a discussion of laning comboes.

Finally, I don't see anything wrong with using AoE spells on creeps, especially if you're playing someone like Morgana, who has a really low base attack and a **** attack animation. But you should take care to restrict your spell use to only the caster creeps, especially if you have a lane partner. Otherwise, you're pushing the lane too much, and hurting your partner.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2010

Beej, I kinda have a beef about sacrificing and dying. Your knowledge is quite applicable in laning phase, but later on, it should more be like "if I sacrifice myself, will they have less capabilities than my team?" and "what will happen later on after I die?"

Otherwise, been there done that. Great guide.

Beej

06-30-2010

Wow, thanks for all the positive responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitii View Post
Beej, I kinda have a beef about sacrificing and dying. Your knowledge is quite applicable in laning phase, but later on, it should more be like "if I sacrifice myself, will they have less capabilities than my team?" and "what will happen later on after I die?"
Agreed. I will clarify that my Death discussion is only applicable to the early game. Late game, its more important to consider what can be accomplished or will be lost by your team while you are dead than merely to calculate exp/gold results.

SykoAzn

06-30-2010

Very informative on creep control and lane awareness. btw, you forgot to mention that you should always call MIAs so your fellow lanes won't get ganked ^^

123456 ... 9