From NEGATIVE 18 to 1524 - Elo Super Guide

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DirtyAardvark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

How do you not take support when everyone else calls lanes, and acts like a d-bag?

Porkbellytacos

11-14-2012

Thanks for the post. Here's my question, it specifically refers to your point about not taking a support bot...

The issue I have seen with this in the past is that as soon as one locks that non-support champ (after they've been told they are the support), it tends to make teams sour during champ select. this often carries over into the game and flies in the face of your point about staying positive.

So I guess my question is, how do you break the meta without frustrating your teammates?

Mattarias

11-14-2012

Wow... You know what? I'm going to shoot for the stars this season. Bookmarking this thread all over my browser, printing, sticking it to glasses- Okay, maybe not that last one...

I played a bit of ranked to try getting gold (got silver. I'm ok with this.) and y'know? It was pretty fun. Well, except when your whole team rags on you for 45 minutes.... But that didn't happen much. Hopefully it'll be better by now.

I'm going to get better at every role I can and see where I go from there. Thanks for the encouragement.

DjJazzman

11-14-2012

Riot, make this thread like official or something. Or put it on the front page.

lmplication

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Colour me extremely impressed that you went from -18 to gold in season 1. Wow. And this was a great read, including the post from Morello about how to get better.

I was "only gold" this past season but would like to get better for S3, but being in the top 5% is good enough for me for S2. I like how the OP said remember that means we're better than 95% of players... and when you put it like that, it makes me feel like I'm a lot better than I believe I really am since I KNOW I make mistakes each game. I need to focusing on eliminating those mistakes and moving forward.

Great post!

jak36

11-14-2012

i remember reading a guide on how to improve by ver on team liquid and this thread reminds me of it a lot. the most memorable thing i got from the guide was realizing that YOU suck is the fastest way to improve. since YOU need to realize that YOU have to improve before it can happen

Desmond Law

11-14-2012

frontpage this guy

Deikan

11-14-2012

+1

Tactical Magic

11-14-2012

Great stuff!

Goth Skunk

11-14-2012

MrChunkz.

Thank you kindly for your insightful post on how overcoming Elo hell is possible. Perspective is everything and sometimes it takes a different one help one find something they've had difficulty locating.

I started playing League of Legends after Heimerdinger lost his third turret. Back in Season one, my ultimate Elo didn't end up much higher than what it was when I started playing ranked games. I was frustrated by the game, convinced Elo hell existed, had very little fun playing, hated the community, and right before Dominion came out, I decided to quit playing League. But I couldn't stay away, so I ended up just taking a year off.

My mindset on the game has drastically changed and I'm enjoying it now much more than before as a result. In addition to being a top 400 member of the Tribunal, I played the last two weeks of season 2 in normals to get myself back into the game. It felt like putting on an old, comfortable pair of shoes.

I like what you wrote about support not being very viable < 1400 Elo. I'll take it into consideration next time I'm pigeonholed into the role.

Concerning what you wrote about assisting ones teammates as much as possible, this is something I have difficulty with, and I'm hoping you could shed some light on the subject of early game objective priority.

When a game first starts, my first priority is to make sure the jungler is safe (assuming I'm not the jungler). That part I have no problem with. When I'm laning, I focus on farming as much CS as possible and poking where possible. Where I find I have trouble is where I've pushed my enemy back to his tower, I don't know what I should do at that point. I know I have multiple options available to me:

I could recall, spend some of my earned gold and return to the shop. Doing this would leave my opponent unopposed at his tower, and if skilled enough, could farm the wave of minions at the tower without risk of getting dived and killed. This option also provides no help to teammates.

I could roam and assist with a gank in another lane. This is easier to do if a teammate is pushed back to their tower, but if my teammates are doing just as well as I am, then it doesn't seem like a good choice. Plus, if I leave my lane, my opponent could potentially push to my tower and do damage to it.

I could keep the pressure on and try to do as much damage to the enemy tower as possible. The sooner it's down, the sooner I can help my teammates by roaming. But at the same time, pushing that far ahead leaves me wide open for a gank, and I find myself without wards that early on to get enough of a visual warning to put on such pressure.

What's more important in the early game? Destroying towers, or assisting teammates in their lanes with ganks?

When jungling, should I feel compelled to attempt a gank if doing so is not strategically sound? If there is no strategically sound opportunity to gank, should I keep jungling or, HP permitting, wander into the enemy jungle and see if I can't kill the enemy jungler?