From NEGATIVE 18 to 1524 - Elo Super Guide

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niqhtmare x

11-19-2011

holy sht you are pro

just wondering, how many days did it take to dodge down to -18 elo?

Gojge

11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVESTRONGG View Post
SS of you being -18 or i don't give a fuk about this.
I've actually played games with this guy, you wouldn't belive how bad he is.

Dragull

11-19-2011

Quote:
Ranked ratings are misunderstood. 1400 is INSANELY good from a statistical standpoint. It's the top 10% of ranked players . Even 1250 is top 25%. Those ratings are GOOD. If you were to compare League of Legends to Starcraft 2, 1400 and higher are diamond players while 1250 and higher are platinum players.
Quote:
This isn't even counting players below level 30 and the ones that have never played ranked.
Keep in mind that Elo distribution is on a bell curve. If you claim to be a 1700 player then what you're actually claiming is that you're one of the top 2500 players in North America.
That's the thing. I'm a 1350 player and my opponents and my allies are generally GOOD, BUT there is ALWAYS someone on some team who has like 5 or 6 games played, got lucky win/carries and it's now at our rating, feeding everyone and doing stupid ****.
The ELO boost on first games is stupid.

Quote:
Duo queue is tricky. Duo queue boosts up ratings by a huge amount. A 750 duo queueing with a 1600 ends up playing against 1400s, far above the average between the two being 1175. Elo gains are decreased as the rating difference between the two players increases. If one person is still on their placement boosts for ranked, both players will receive increased Elo gains/losses. Don't find a random person near your rating to duo queue with. If you must duo queue then find someone you truly believe is underrated and will be on their way up. Try to avoid having both of your most proficient roles being the same
Good point.

Ganxu

11-19-2011

This is no more impressive than going from 1200 to 1554. I've played with my brother who is new and every low elo, like 800, because people in that elo range are LOL WTF stupid. I can't even imagine how bad people sub 500 are.

Wasabi Kitty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2011

Alright I got a question.

When do you think it's wise to start ranked?

I own 40 champs, I'm near completion on 4 different rune pages, 1 a jungle page for udyr, 1 for general junglers and bruisers, 1 for support (alistar), and 1 for AP. I've played almost 800 games.

I feel proficient at solo top as well as jungling. My AD carry isn't quite as strong but it's not too far behind. My AP sucks. My support is good when I can get alistar, horrible with anyone else.

So far I played 1 game of ranked. I got invited into an arranged 5s match by someone I didn't know and went along with it. Agreed to jungle and picked trundle to hopefully be able to counter their rammus pick.

Our team had fairly bad picks. Our Fizz fed and raged in all chat all game. Our solo top taric would wander around and not group up. We had a weak early game, but managed to turn ahead due to capitalizing on a few mistakes made (smite stole dragon, their jungle didn't take, tryn overextended, lack of map awareness on their side) Almost lost due to my teammates rushing off solo, but managed to secure it in the end. I was able to carry but it was very close (hour long game).

Don't think I could have done it every time, if their tryn had been better or their xin taken smite we probably would have lost.

deepbluereason

11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi kitty View Post

You can start ranked as soon as you have a reasonable mastery of 3-4 champs (though you can easily climb pretty high having only mastered 1 or 2 champs as long as they're not frequently played/banned).

MrChunkz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi kitty View Post

I own 40 champs, I'm near completion on 4 different rune pages, 1 a jungle page for udyr, 1 for general junglers and bruisers, 1 for support (alistar), and 1 for AP. I've played almost 800 games.

I feel proficient at solo top as well as jungling. My AD carry isn't quite as strong but it's not too far behind. My AP sucks. My support is good when I can get alistar, horrible with anyone else.

So far I played 1 game of ranked. I got invited into an arranged 5s match by someone I didn't know and went along with it. Agreed to jungle and picked trundle to hopefully be able to counter their rammus pick.

Our team had fairly bad picks. Our Fizz fed and raged in all chat all game. Our solo top taric would wander around and not group up. We had a weak early game, but managed to turn ahead due to capitalizing on a few mistakes made (smite stole dragon, their jungle didn't take, tryn overextended, lack of map awareness on their side) Almost lost due to my teammates rushing off solo, but managed to secure it in the end. I was able to carry but it was very close (hour long game).

Don't think I could have done it every time, if their tryn had been better or their xin taken smite we probably would have lost.
As soon as you're comfortable. I've learned so much from playing in ranked games. I wouldn't be as good of a player if I didn't start playing ranked. You can see some interesting things in normals but there isn't quite that same mindset of playing for the win or playing optimally. The only reason I wouldn't recommend to play ranked right away is that you might be discouraged if you drop into a low rating. Lack of experience can be the reason that you lose. Some players are mechanically gifted enough that they can get away with not fulling understanding the game. As long as you're willing to risk your rating, go into ranked play.

m0gX

11-19-2011

hey MrChunkz,

I had two questions:

first: is it easier to carry with one of AD or AP? the main reason I am interested is because it is obviosuly easier to kill towers with most AD champions over AP, so does this make a difference in carrying ability?

second, I think I am going to start playing ranked games in season 2 soon (prob today), I've won around 375 normal games, and played around 15-20 ranked games in the first season. When trying to rasie my ELO at the end of the season, I was on my way past 1100ish while playing Talon. Talon is likely my most comfortable champion, though I am pretty good with akali and fizz as well, amoung a load of others, those are just who I play recently.

So I guess this brings about two questions: if I feel undoubtedly most comfortable with talon, but still very comfortable with others, is it best to play someone who Isn't talon but possibly suits the situation better (such as being AP when our team is already AD heavy) or to just play talon every game?

and next: when you mentioned you could help people to get better, what did you mean exactly? and can I give it a try?

Muttr

11-19-2011

A friend of mine constantly gets games where almost everyone on his team constantly feeds and feeds more...literally, he's shown me SS's of the games and there's 2-3 people on his team with 20+ deaths. You're telling me you're suppose to carry those baddies? If so, how the hell can you? lol.

I believe you can carry certain games, but some are just completely un-winnable...

SM Guardian

11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxu View Post
This is no more impressive than going from 1200 to 1554. I've played with my brother who is new and every low elo, like 800, because people in that elo range are LOL WTF stupid. I can't even imagine how bad people sub 500 are.
Missing the point completely.