[ELO] Something to think about

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OhEhmGee

06-28-2010

I'm in a position that I'm sure plenty of other players are in. I am better than the players I'm getting matched up with. How can this be if the MM system and the ELO system is working properly?

The answer is that League of Legends is a very high variance game. The player's skill isn't the only factor between winning and losing. You have teammates, a variety of different champions, someone might snowball one game and feed the next. So many factors besides your skill come into affect.

I'm sitting at around 500~ games played which isn't enough for the variance to even out. What that number is? I don't know. I can tell you that in online poker, you need about 10k hands played to get an idea of how good you are.

Uhm.

Discuss.

Fleetfeet

06-28-2010

You offered very little to actually discuss.

But yes, Matchmaking is weird and seems to giggle softly to itself as it sets one team up for colossal failure and the other up for a sure win. Usually.

What would even out the odds quite a bit is if there was an option other than blind pick. Being allowed to pick champions to counter their carries/tanks/whatever would greatly even the odds and result in less stupid losses simply because the other team had something your team comp wasn't prepared for.

Oh, and it's hard to claim you're better than other people unless you specify what you're exactly better at. For example, I'm a terrible carry, but play some fine support.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2010

It is my belief that MM sets up both team to have similar chance of winning--that is, it will try to make ELO of both teams equal.

Naturally, if you have high ELO, you will be matched with the lower ELO people, while the other team will all have people of similar level. It's the nature of mathematics--and as you say, the problem is that as far as variance go in this game, the disparity becomes really high in who you are matched up with. I could cook up a proper mathematical proof, but I doubt anyone cares.

The main problem lies in that as a team game, one person cannot carry the team. At least in sports, you are all in the same fields. In LoL, you and your teammates are in a different "field/lane" most of the time. By the time you reconvene, the snowballing has begun, and there is not much you can do to stop it.

To break this cycle, the entire algorithm needs to be looked at. Average ELO should not be the main deciding factor. I do have a few ideas that I think would work well, but I don't feel like working for free at this point in time.

Drake Darkholm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2010

You could just be cocky like everyone else. Everyone assumes what they are doing to be correct and as you watch other players you judge them by "What I would do".

The true way to see if you're worth your salt is doing premades and seeing if people offer to friend you or re-invite you to games. Other than them sometimes thinking "This guy is better than nothing." you'll get a feeling for what your true skill may be. The lack of friend requests mean they feel that you are not special or worth keeping, while an influx would let you do that you are indeed better than others.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEhmGee View Post
I'm in a position that I'm sure plenty of other players are in. I am better than the players I'm getting matched up with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

god **** I love wikipedia.

Brokroma

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEhmGee View Post
I am better than the players I'm getting matched up with.
:l

Rhetorical Hippo

06-28-2010

Lightstriker took the wind out of my sails. I was totally scrolling down, ready to own you with some psychology.

OhEhmGee

06-28-2010

It's pretty easy to tell if you're better than your allies/opponents. Are you last hitting creeps? Zone control? Positioning well? Have a good item build?

I don't think I'm high ELO by any means but I know I don't belong in the slums of the low ELO.

Pandemic21

06-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
Hello, and welcome to the world of the internet.