0/0/30 - Sona Support Mastery Build Critique?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arlowne

11-15-2011

With the new masteries out, I see less of a reason to invest points outside of the Utility Tree. The 4 points required to access cooldown in the offense tree seems especially wasted on Sona, and while 10% magic pen is always good on a poker like Sona, I really don't see myself spending 4 points for 4 near useless AP.

As of now my build is
http://thefwcentral.com/lol/#&trees=0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-3-0-4-3-1-4-0-0-2-4-1-3-3-1

Swiftness I could see potentially be changed, depending on how much you dislike Sona's snail-like pace. 10% faster resurrection from Good Hands is always helpful, or alternatively could be invested in the defense from some extra sturdiness in the beginning.

HerrJon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2011

Looks almost exactly like my support mastery page.

The only thing that I would change would just putting one point into summoner's resolve if you're using heal, either for using non-sustain supports or b/c Sona's heal is pretty weak without tons of AP.

Your green aura at level 1 is already gonna account for that sturdiness when you need it, and if you're playing Sona right, you shouldn't be dying much. The move speed is a good choice for support imo b/c you need to be mobile to get where you're needed and run when you get focused.

Daesigil23

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-15-2011

I wonder if improved recall is worth it at all. You could probably take a point off meditation for it and not feel a huge difference in your mana regen.

HerrJon

11-15-2011

I've tried out improved recall today, and I haven't really noticed any huge gain from it. That one extra second isn't going to save you're life or give you much more time to stay in lane. Mana regen, even just the one is more helpeful for aura spammer Sona.

helivon

11-15-2011

and honestly scout just seems barely useful, 20% increased *blue* duration for sona is way better then 5% vision radius to be quite frank

PerfidiousAlbion

11-15-2011

There are some nice things in the support tree that you'll be able to get with 30 points in it that you otherwise wouldn't. All the same, I think I'll go with the extra defense/health and (assuming it's been buffed enough, haven't had a chance to really test it out) the heal mastery in defense.

I'm absolutely in love with the improved gold masteries. I'm semi-seriously considering trying out the defense tree on my supports just to get mercenary. Doubt it'd be worth it, but that's a lot of gold to be had in team fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helivon View Post
and honestly scout just seems barely useful, 20% increased *blue* duration for sona is way better then 5% vision radius to be quite frank
If you're actually buying loads of wards like you should be then Scout is a nice benefit. Nothing massive, but what do you expect for one point? Considering you really shouldn't be the one on the team getting either of the monster buffs and, generally, shouldn't be getting kills I'd say the increased buff duration isn't nearly as helpful as Scout. That being said, they're both just one point. Really you should be getting them both.

Cenerae

11-16-2011

I spent a pretty long while trying to come up with a support setup. I settled on 8/0/22 in the end. I just don't value a lot of the stuff in utility very highly at all (such as Sage and Perseverence), whereas an extra 4% CDR is quite nice to have. I guess the idea now is that we are better able to adjust masteries to our own playstyle rather than everyone using the same setup because of lack of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helivon View Post
You'll rarely if ever have blue, so actually 5% more vision radius is going to be more useful. It's not much but it's better than nothing (which is what the buff duration is)

Addfwyn

11-16-2011

Scout seems...okay, but proper ward positioning means that it shouldn't really matter most of the time. I mean, it's only one point so I include it for the time being, but I'm not sold on the usefulness.

PerfidiousAlbion

11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addfwyn View Post
Scout seems...okay, but proper ward positioning means that it shouldn't really matter most of the time. I mean, it's only one point so I include it for the time being, but I'm not sold on the usefulness.
Sort of. There are a lot of area's where a ward can cover everything you need to see. There are, however, plenty of area's where you can't. One example is the river entrance to your enemies blue buff. It's a good spot to ward as you'll get an idea of incoming enemy jungle ganks, the enemy mid coming to defend their turret, the enemy jungler going for their/your blue and maybe catch them going for dragon. However, while it gives you a little extra knowledge as to the enemy jungler/mid's location than your standard dragon/river bush ward pair it doesn't cover dragon as well as you would like. Scout can help with that. It doesn't solve the problem, but it certainly helps.

Similarly if there's a stealth champ or Nocturn on the enemy team they can gank from further away than a river bush ward can cover, at least at low levels, and scout will help with that.

Even if you're only warding in the area's where it doesn't matter that much Scout will still give you a tiny bit extra warning of an incoming gank. Sometimes that's enough.

Kuriii

11-16-2011

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=6667#chap6