Does Riot Ignore the [champion suggestion] threads?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uszi

09-30-2009

Just a question: I mean, I personally wouldn't look at them too closely if I was developing the game myself. Speaking as a fan of the game and a player, too much fan service would probably hurt the final product---so I wouldn't necessarily want to see a lot of community designed heroes in the final game. After all, as much as many people including myself enjoy playing the game, and as full of ideas as we may be, it isn't our game.

I'm just curious as to:
1. Does riot read the [Champion Suggestion] threads.
2. If so, do they use them in brainstorming their own ideas at all?
3. If so, what are the odds that a suggested Champion would make it into the game?

I think a lot of people are like myself in that they just enjoy the activity of thinking of heroes, and doing the theoretical balancing and tweaking. I don't know how many people actually hope that their suggestions be implemented...

Thanks.

ElNab

09-30-2009

I made a post about this a LOOOOONG time ago, but no one responded to it.

Please riot, just a few Yay or Nay's to satisfy some testers?

SlyGoat

09-30-2009

Probably. Most are bad.

Uszi

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
Probably. Most are bad.
Right.

Plus the fan service bit I mentioned.

Plus the fact that as fun as it is for us to make theoretical champions, I'm sure making the actual champions is 100x better. And making a champion that was like, placed as an order at a restaurant is probably not nearly as satisfying.

The thing is, I've never seen a Riot post either encouraging or discouraging the [Champion Suggestion] threads. My own suggestions use that bracket system just because I've seen it before... So it seems like someone, long ago decided they were just going to do it, and it's become something of a forum fad ever since.

I want to be clear I'm not QQing. I'm really just curious about Riot's perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNab View Post
Please riot, just a few Yay or Nay's to satisfy some testers?
I also want to be clear that in my OP I wasn't asking for this necessarily. Personally, looking at my fan-service points, etc, I would hope that they do not appoint someone just to cater to fan-made champion suggestions----as beta testers, I don't think we're entitled to answers to this sort of feedback. Yeah, it would be sweeeeeeeeeet if we got that sort of attention, but I'm not about to ask for it.

Arafel

Friend of Urf

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uszi View Post
Right.

The thing is, I've never seen a Riot post either encouraging or discouraging the [Champion Suggestion] threads. My own suggestions use that bracket system just because I've seen it before... So it seems like someone, long ago decided they were just going to do it, and it's become something of a forum fad ever since.
Someone made a thread a while back for a champion that didn't use mana, but collected souls as a passive and used them to cast spells. Nasus' original incarnation in the game data used this concept, and someone with a red name commented in that thread that it was an innovative idea. I think they read all of them--most are garbage, but I'm sure that they at least talk about some of the ideas from the gems among them, and implement at least ideas or parts of single skills, but I doubt they would ever implement an entire champion suggested by a member of the community.

The Poj

09-30-2009

Riot games commented on one of my champions awhile back.
http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=5070
However, i've seen a lot of posts on this issue. I believe Riot comments something like that they actively read the champion suggestions. But their not ready to take any individual ideas until release. Also Guinsoo is working on a suggestion engine for these type of posts.

Luchen

09-30-2009

Guinsoo said that he loves reading them a while back.

Uszi

09-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poj View Post
Riot games commented on one of my champions awhile back.
http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=5070
However, i've seen a lot of posts on this issue. I believe Riot comments something like that they actively read the champion suggestions. But their not ready to take any individual ideas until release. Also Guinsoo is working on a suggestion engine for these type of posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchen View Post
Guinsoo said that he loves reading them a while back.

Heh... And now I notice the greyed out suggestions tab in the navigation bar right above this post? Is that what that is?

Well I guess my fail for not searching hard enough to find these posts which show the dev teams perspective on community designed heroes. I personally have not seen comments of the sort Poj mentioned, and I get the impression that many others have not seen them as well---hence the thread. Of course, I could be totally wrong and the only nub not in the know.

Like I said though, I'm not looking for a Riot staff member to become the Simon Cowell of the forums, publicly shooting down the 90% of ideas that come through and picking from them the scraps of good game play, or praising the minority of the ideas that the dev staff find interesting and workable.

I just don't see, like, a sticky post saying: "Yes, your champion suggestions are welcome. Please understand that while we do read these posts we will not be considering implementing individual suggestions until post-release."

I don't think publically outlining this attitude would discourage submissions... Like I said, to some extent I feel like the suggestions are a forum fad and tantamount to a forum game---I'm reminded of the French Toaster, for instance. And I know personally that even if Riot only lifted the name of a buff from a lengthy idea that I had, I would think it infinitely sweet.

The Poj

09-30-2009

i found it. Cookies please.
http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=5321