Chogath is Top-Tier (Again): The Definitive Guide by 5HITCOMBO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lee Wang

08-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HITCOMBO View Post
Reserved

Added a picture showing approximate build times for items.

Thanks for the feedback, Socrates.
Ok. It's not as bad as builds that some people come up with and you can't really go wrong with cho since he's such a ridiculous good character.( I mean in the range of OP).

However, cleanse got nerfed and you don't really need it anyway since you want people casting their CC on you. Flash is a much better spell; Cho has movement problems and flash+Feast is absolutely insane and makes you very dangerous to low health mids or squishies in general.

0/22/8, bad. The utility tree is best, it gives movement speed, summoner spell buff, CDR, Meditation. Defense gives a very small boost to survivability and Nimbleness.

While I'm a great proponent to Warmogs in general Cho benefits the least from it. Building a warmogs on him is the worst you can do.
Regen pendant... totally unneeded you have the best regen capacity save for maybe soraka. Stacking NLR's... stupid, there is only one item you can build it into and it doesnt stack. A GA on the other hand is a pretty ok item.

5HATCOMBO

09-12-2010

Well, okay, here's my logic on double NLR:
Early-mid game it's +160 AP. That is a ton of AP. It's more than you get for completing Zhonya's for cheaper than completing Zhonya's. If the game EVER gets to the point where I can actually finish my second Zhonya's ring, I don't care about the passives not stacking because it's still the best use of a single slot AP-wise.

Warmogs I don't do anymore. I must have stated that somewhere.

I still believe in Regen Pendant, even moreso now that it's cheaper and you can pot without having to sit around to buy a potion.

Cleanse is still useful. I know that it got nerfed, but I feel like it gives me the ability to lane against stunners and rooters a lot safer than if I didn't have it. Sometimes I take teleport instead if I'm laning, and that's really helpful + it allows me to set up some sick ward-port plays.

Thank you for the constructive feedback but you could be less of a **** about it. Currently I'm 1460 using this build and pretty much maining Chogath and you are something like 1225. I know a little about what I'm talking about here.

Kid Cancer

09-14-2010

Great guide, I am glad that you realize the importance of E early game. It's funny how nobody really realizes the amount of extra damage that does with levels of it early. It's amazing how many kills I've gotten just from standing there auto-attacking someone with half health and a good partner.

I can't say too much about the item build because I usually go full tank; I will try it some time and report on how awesome it works out for me.

5HATCOMBO

09-14-2010

I'll admit, tank cho has become more viable ever since they made it a flat 3 stack loss instead of a full 6, but I still think his AP ratios and base stats are too high not to play him as an AP nuker early on when he's squishy and an AP tank disabler lategame.

Lorifel

09-15-2010

Quote:
I'll admit, tank cho has become more viable ever since they made it a flat 3 stack loss instead of a full 6, but I still think his AP ratios and base stats are too high not to play him as an AP nuker early on when he's squishy and an AP tank disabler lategame.
Building your tankiness early makes you able to start tanking towers earlier and sometimes finish the game in 30 minutes?
Nvm, just trolling a bit =P
But sometimes it is a valid strategy.

Al3xander

09-15-2010

Hey look! this thread is still active.

Quote:
I just played Al3xander in ranked and the poppy in his lane fed him about 5 times, now he's gonna post a screenshot of him winning here to prove how bad my build is.

Pretty one-sided feed game, I'm still stuck under 1400 atm.
I actually never bothered making screenshots there (I didn't even bother to read the posts after). Instead I remember how you got 2 large rods, a pair of boots, you never managed to hit your skillshot (lvl 2 boots are considered a hard counter to cho's skillshot), and you never had the survival or damage needed to carry your team.

What I am trying to prove is that if you really wanna do magic damage, play a mage (annie/anivia/vlad/etc). If you wanna tank, play a tank. You really can't farm zhonya, expect to tank and get kills after as cho.

Getting zhonya first is a waste of money (since its not really cost effective as a first item), and denies you the possibility to tank any damage (even with max feast, if you get focused you drop fast). It's passive isnt that great, because indeed you become untargetable, but also you remain in the middle of the enemy team, and get owned 2 secs after. Your damage is indeed boosted, but the time to farm it (if you get zoned by the enemy ranged carry during laning phase you're screwed) is pretty long.

Leviathan and mejai are situational items. You do not get snowball items if you cannot get kills or assists. They shouldn't be the base item build.

Lich bane? come on. How fast can you proc that thing anyway? Waste of money imo.

TLDR:
1. Zhonya on cho as first item is bad. Takes a lot of time to farm it, and you cannot tank damage.
2. Leviathan/Mejai are situational items.
3. "and Feast does over half of Teemo’s HP bar instantly" I lol'd so hard here.

Kid Cancer

09-15-2010

Quote:
Have you ever tried frozen heart on him?

If not, you should sometime. Off-tank or full tank it works for Cho.

5HATCOMBO

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3xander View Post
Hey look! this thread is still active.

I actually never bothered making screenshots there (I didn't even bother to read the posts after). Instead I remember how you got 2 large rods, a pair of boots, you never managed to hit your skillshot (lvl 2 boots are considered a hard counter to cho's skillshot), and you never had the survival or damage needed to carry your team.

What I am trying to prove is that if you really wanna do magic damage, play a mage (annie/anivia/vlad/etc). If you wanna tank, play a tank. You really can't farm zhonya, expect to tank and get kills after as cho.

Getting zhonya first is a waste of money (since its not really cost effective as a first item), and denies you the possibility to tank any damage (even with max feast, if you get focused you drop fast). It's passive isnt that great, because indeed you become untargetable, but also you remain in the middle of the enemy team, and get owned 2 secs after. Your damage is indeed boosted, but the time to farm it (if you get zoned by the enemy ranged carry during laning phase you're screwed) is pretty long.

Leviathan and mejai are situational items. You do not get snowball items if you cannot get kills or assists. They shouldn't be the base item build.

Lich bane? come on. How fast can you proc that thing anyway? Waste of money imo.

TLDR:
1. Zhonya on cho as first item is bad. Takes a lot of time to farm it, and you cannot tank damage.
2. Leviathan/Mejai are situational items.
3. "and Feast does over half of Teemo’s HP bar instantly" I lol'd so hard here.
I had ONE off game against you when my team was terrible and you're not even talking about the build I wrote the guide about. I'm getting back to 1500+ after a 20 game loss streak that put me down into 1300 range and I'm building my way back up. I've beat players like bigfatjiji and I've played with many of the top 100 with this build successfully. I'm not saying that you're not a good player even though you are lower than me, but there's no reason for you to doubt this guide when I'm maining cho at 1500~ with it.

Resilga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2010

Humbleness and common courtesy are like precious gems in this community. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Thanks for the great guide 5hit. I'm not as cool as other cho players but this guide has gotten me wins and I've had lots of fun.

In using this guide I suggest other players use a bit of common sense and know when to deviate if the team calls for it (after core build). Also buy wards. It's like cheating. Half the lost games out there or more have to do with a lack of wards.

Keep it strong 5hit, maybe I'll play with you some time.

Al3xander

09-17-2010

Quote:
I had ONE off game against you when my team was terrible and you're not even talking about the build I wrote the guide about. I'm getting back to 1500+ after a 20 game loss streak that put me down into 1300 range and I'm building my way back up. I've beat players like bigfatjiji and I've played with many of the top 100 with this build successfully. I'm not saying that you're not a good player even though you are lower than me, but there's no reason for you to doubt this guide when I'm maining cho at 1500~ with it.
I am not saying you are a bad player either. I am merely expressing my opinions about your guide. Check the TLDR if you didnt bother reading my post entirely.

(I revolve around 1500 too. Almost hit 1400 a few days ago, but won a few games after. Tend to play 1 - 2 games max/day, so it takes time to get back to my old ELO).