[Hero Guide] How to build Jax The Armsmaster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrickyTrev

10-05-2009

Great guide, I recently played against Big McLarge Huge twice the other day and he jungled jax very well. Can you give any insight into successfully jungleing jax? Early items to get, creep kill order etc??

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyTrev View Post
Great guide, I recently played against Big McLarge Huge twice the other day and he jungled jax very well. Can you give any insight into successfully jungleing jax? Early items to get, creep kill order etc??
I will probably not post a jungle Jax guide since it's what I do every game but I will give you a hint on what first items to get.

You have an option of HP Elixer/Cloth Armor/Life Steal/Dorans Shield.

Zoelef

10-06-2009

Seconding the Great Guide motion.

Any thoughts on stacking 2+ Brutalizers for Jax? I've done it a few times with mixed results but was curious if you had any firsthand experience doing so.

Hatch

10-09-2009

OP, when you say "don't get a Phantom Dancer first", do you mean that it would be a mistake to get it as one of your first 2 items, or do you mean that once you have your boots, starks, and phage, you still should get a Last Whisper, Black Cleaver, or IE instead of PD? It seems like PD is tailor-made for Jax, so I find myself tempted to build like this for a jungling Jax (with Smite):

Vamp Scepter
Berserker Greaves
Stark's Fervor
Phage
Phantom Dancer

Then go Wit's End/Banshee's/IE/Last Whisper depending on situation.

What do you think?

Waterd

10-09-2009

Quote:
3rd Item Choices: Start building Starks/Frozen Mallet/Any other item involving armor penetration or damage.
I would like to see some options here, stark fervor, frozen mallet and what?

Krald

10-10-2009

i use the exact same build as your dps jax, but can you explain why berserker's greaves is better than ninja tabi even on that build? Idk bro, from every game I've played the AS from Starks and my ultimate is more than enough, and the added dodge+armor just rocks.

Hatch

10-12-2009

After playing Jax a bit over the weekend and testing out jungling, I've definitely modified my initial impressions about how to build him. To kill one of the rune monsters at level 1, I open with:

Cloth Armor, Health Potion x3

And get counterstrike. As soon as the rat spawns, I'll target him and ignore his minions. Smite, activate a potion, and counterstrike whenever it is up. The 3 pots will usually carry me through another 3-4 creep groups to 450g, where I port back and get the Vamp Scepter. This lets me clear out the rest of the creeps on my side, then head back for the 350g badge of valor. Next is the 550g more needed for the Ninja Tabi, and the whole time I've been able to keep up in levels somewhere between the solo and duo laners. Around this point I'm level 6 and the game starts to loosen up, and as I build the Stark's I'll kill the dragon and gank, depending on how things are going with my teammates.

So the build looks like:

Cloth Armor, Health Potion x3
Vampiric Scepter
Emblem of Valor
Ninja Tabi
Stark's Fervor
Phage

At this point I'll get Phantom Dancer unless the other team is raping us with magic or CC. In that case I'll get a Banshee's Veil instead.

After that, you can pick up either Last Whisper or Black Cleaver if you need armor penetration, Infinity Edge if not, or other items situationally. Hopefully you've won by now.

What do you think? Anybody have experiences that they think would help improve on this strategy?

Bloodba7h

10-13-2009

Will all that lifesteal give you enough survivability in the early-mid game? Sure, for jungling and uneven ganks, but what about when you get focused by magic? I know Jax has issues with chasing, but how about going for Giant's Belt before Phage (or even before the Fervor)?

Just food for thought.

GNOY

10-14-2009

Your AP build lacks Guinsoo and Nashor's Tooth. Both are pretty good on him and gives AS, which is important as your AP will be way more effective with higher AS. And -20% CD pretty invaluable on someone like him.

Zingmaster

10-14-2009

how can you not mention lichbane in the AP jax build?

adding your AP to your next attack after leap strike is worth far more than any ap item except for maybe zhonya's.