Chalice vs 2 Dorans Rings... Bye Chalice!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arczer

09-30-2010

Do you still buy chalice? Perhaps you won't after you read this, however, you still might.
Chalice isn't a horrible item by any means, and it certainly isnt worse than what Im proposing, but...

2 Dorans Rings = 870g
Chalice of Harmony = 890g

So... Chalice is harshly ineffective at mana regen, it only pays off if you are constantly below 35% of your total mana, otherwise you are paying 100g for +6 magic resist (recipe cost, Null Magic Mantle can be turned into anything else with MORE than 30 magic resist.)

So; rundown

Chalice = 30 Magic Resist, 7 MP5, Increases mana regen by 1% for each 1% you are missing
(not as much as you think, again, you'd need to be below 35% of your mana for this to be cost effective, and even then as soon as you regen above 35%, its ineffective for its cost again)

2 Dorans Rings = 240 Life, 10 MP5, 20 Ability Power.. Self explanitory

You'll still regen just as much mana, you can easily sell these later on since you'll level up and won't need much mana regen after the laning phase is over. They give you a gigantic edge on any character during the laning phase, unless someone else is doing the same strategy; and even during team fights because of the 20AP/240 Life, where Chalice begins to suffer.

reaver99

09-30-2010

The chalice effect applies to any other regeneration you have though, like mp5 runes or other items.

Arczer

09-30-2010

Yes, I know, but at level 6 lets say you have 17 MP5 (runes+masteries+items)
1% of 17 is not much, of course; it'll go up as your mana goes down, but surely unless you have lots of mana regen runes (blues+yellows) chalice is ineffective, unless you are below 50% of your mana

Like I said, chalice is still good; if for instance like you said; 'specced' for mana regen (runes+masteries, etc) however
If you are not using runes etc, 2 Dorans Rings is less expensive, and give better stats for the money

AwwGasm

09-30-2010

Chalice regeneration affects your base mana regen, as well as any additional mana regen you have from other sources (manipulator, runes etc)

It also takes up one less slot. It's for champs that use their skill on every cooldown and are guaranteed to be around 50% or lower mana at most points of time. (denyplank, MF, maybe Sona and alistar etc)

JohnCataldo

09-30-2010

Why wouldn't you be below 50% mana, though, IF you have a chalice?

Chalice is there for champs who expect to use a lot of mana. Obviously it's not for everyone!

KhaoticImp

09-30-2010

I think it is situational and depends on the champion. I would never run 2 doran rings on pantheon for example. I could see this is a good choice for Viegar, Annie, and Anivia.

Smellis

09-30-2010

I usually use chalice on AP sion if i need the extra MR. I don't like trying to build AA on him and it really helps with his mana.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2010

Taric is a great candidate for chalice because it lets him keep his ultimate on longer.

Xtchizobr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2010

Anivia with two AAs and a Chalice... om nom nom infinite ult farm