The Language Barrier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1b2fae32403405

07-23-2009

So, I only play dota on garena nowadays. I only play in either "Sweden room" or "Europe room".

I remember on Battle.net, I would have to join games with names like "nordic dota arem", to avoid the whiners that wont speak english.

I REALLY don't like to play with people from europe that cant speak english, it wasn't unusual on bnet to see for example germans or french people flaming me in their own language, and wouldnt hear what i said. It might sound picky, but the rooms in garena and the "nordic only" games on bnet that separate the countries and the mother tounges really helped in my opinion.

I'm not sure if this is what you want or are aiming for, but i'd like for an option in matchmaking to try and team up people of the same country/neighbour countries if possible (i actually have no idea how many would be searching for games at one time, so if this is even remotely possible i do not know..). I'm not being a swedish elitist im just thinking of how the game is more fun this way, especially if you're targeting a wider age group than dota.

This is, of course not a problem with the beta, since there are only american servers and if you cant speak english you wouldnt be playing.

Korzek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2009

... Got to love playing with someone that doesn't even speak your language . It really hurts team work and team functioning, All I have to say is thank god for pings, it helped greatly in warcraft 3 at times.

It would be nice if most of the time you got on a team with people who speak the same language as one self but it's not bad if you play with someone near your own skill level. As well having the other team not speak your language is no problem. However I truely don't mind grouping with foreigners in practice/normal games as long as they don't spam there language over chat and I keep trying to read it .

Xagur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2009

I agree, What i think would be a good add would be if people from the same country would be puted into the same team as much as possible, without disturbing the balance to much of course. This would be very appreciated by players and make better games, as teammates can communicate and understand each other so much better (not always of course, but more often). I can't see how this would affect the matchmakingin any negative effect at all.

Anyone else got an opinion about this?

Nosaj

07-24-2009

Probably a good idea about trying to match like-regions as much as possible.

Might also be cool to have as many common communication commands and game phrases as possible in word bank. I think Final Fantasy XI (MMO) did this to fairly good success. You could also have command lists like in CS or TF2 that would be localized for the different languages?

Phalanx

07-24-2009

I think the game needs the FF11 tanslator! [Fishing] [Hulking Goblin]