Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ryze nerf for Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenofiend

11-12-2011

Ryze has a nice concept with mana as a damage source, however, with the many heavy defensive items like Frozen Heart and Odyns providing a significant amount of defense and offense for Ryze, he scales much too heavy into the late game. Pair him with spell vamp, Ryze practically out stats all other champions.
Considering that you cant really kite him nor afford to die as you would likely lose a Capture point, nerfing Ryze late game scale should at least bring him closer to the many other champions.
Lower damage or longer cooldowns would all be viable or perhaps changing his passive.
As it stands, Ryze can kill most champions much too quick and easily in the late game. The real issue is not that he is able kill you but that he does so while receiving minimal damage, mostly due to those heavy items that increase both his defense/damage.
Generally more defense should mean less damage and vice versa but that general concept does not seem to apply to Ryze as it does to so many of the other champions.

-----------
Edit

First of all, I would like to thank people for their responses on this issue but I feel we may be going off topic. There are counters to Ryze as with any champion. The main issue however is not how to beat Ryze but the amount of "stats" he receives through out Dominion.
Take the following example
Ryze with tears, FH, Odyns end up with essentially the same "stats" as say a Karthas with FH,Odyns, Deathcap plus another ap item because of Deathcap scaling with a Champions current total amount of ap.
Correct build as a counter is not the issue. The real issue is that with gold gain being mostly passive in Dominion, the worth of one thousand gold to a champion like Ryze in actuality is worth more than a thousand gold to many of the other champions. The fact is you may have all the correct counters but because of how Ryze naturally receives his "stats", he can defeat champions easier and easier the longer the game progresses.
So simply put "gold" for Ryze is worth more than it is for most others and such factors must be considered for Dominion where gold gain is mostly passive and farming is less of a concern. A possible solution would be to greatly raise his Ap ratio and lower his mana to damage ratio, but that may interfere with the concept of "mana" Ryze. I believe a realistic solution may be to slightly increase his cooldowns so that Ryze could still win but after a longer engagement.

Señor Pancho

11-12-2011

ryze is very hard to deal with, once he has 2500+ mana and tons of resists. ryze players usually get void staff at the very end of their build, so a decent counter is to grab some mid-game MR via merc threads, spirit visage, hexdrinker etc

once he has his full build, he is a problem vs ANY team comp.

FDru

11-12-2011

He's top tier on SR as well. Surprised it took this long for people to realize just how broken he is.

Let's give one of the easiest champs in the game the ability to stack pure tank items and do incredible damage... BRILLIANT!

Phoulmouth

11-12-2011

This thread makes me LoL.

KommunistKevin

11-12-2011

You can hit 3k+ mana with just a tear, heart, and veil, i usually build like 2 warmogs after all that

Ryze isn't that much of a problem anymore not after the gold nerfs, Ryze's early game is truly miserable and dominion extends that

Argotto

11-12-2011

As long as the nerfs don't reach over to SR like they did for shaco, I might agree, but because I know they would, I just don't see it happening.

Ryze is just where he needs to be in SR.

MAXED6

11-12-2011

late game ryze barely has any AP to take dow anyone with 3000hp.
ryze is a joke comparred to op champs in dom like akali, poppy, and ez.

Darmival

11-12-2011

Quote:
MAXED6:
late game ryze barely has any AP to take dow anyone with 3000hp.
ryze is a joke comparred to op champs in dom like akali, poppy, and ez.

Considering ryze's ap ratios are next to nothing and he scales off mana.. do you know what you are talking about?

MAXED6

11-12-2011

Quote:
Darmival:
Considering ryze's ap ratios are next to nothing and he scales off mana.. do you know what you are talking about?

yea since I play dom a whole lot, I went against and played with ryze to many times to know what hes capable off and like I said he's a joke compared to akali,poppy,and ez.

The Wrongsword

11-12-2011

I've seen some good Ryzes but I in about 300 games of Dom I havent seen any Ryze strong enough to be OP nerf-worthy. I understand why he is good (can use frozen heart, odyns veil for dmg output, yeah i get it) but lots of champs in dom are good, that doesnt mean he needs nerfs.

If he really is this well kept secret of super overpowered-ness it is a REALLY well kept secret despite all these threads I see about him