How does one counter irelia solo top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killzerz

11-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGranny View Post
she doesn't need burst damage. she's just there to farm, and with maxed Hiten Style, you can't stop her. you're making the bad assumption that she's trying to kill her top lane opponent. she isn't. she couldn't give a **** less about killing anyone until after she's farmed.
How long does maxed Hiten Style take (assuming you rush it over her Equilibrium Strike)? Level 9. At this point yes, all you can do is watch her farm. Before that, say that before level 6, she is easy EASY to bully out of the lane. Just make sure to always last hit and never push so she can't farm very well under her tower. Also consider letting her push your lane 'till level 3 then bullying her out so that she gets less farm later and you avoid enemy ganks.

Quote:
if you don't push the lane, she's getting free farm. if you do push the lane, she's getting free farm. that's entire problem.
Not if you bully her. She can't free farm if she will die. Some characters can really easily push her out of lane (many solo tops can, like Renekton, Olaf, Udyr, ect. [There are so many more, I'm just to lazy to list them.] Anyone who can trade well).

Quote:
you can't out burst Irelia because no one's burst is powerful enough to one-shot her during laning phase -- period.
Right. However, repeated uses of an ability can drain her health. If Olaf always Es her or Renekton always Qs her she will feel it provided you do it EVERY time she tries to farm.

Quote:
you can't gank her because her passive and Equilibrium Strike allows her effortless escape.
Really? It allows makes her hard to gank, but it is still doable. If she sits at her tower, its pretty dam hard though. If she is overextended, she is still easy pickings for junglers who have forms of CC (although she is slightly harder to gank than most champs [I should know, I love jungling]).

Quote:
stop postulating about if's and maybe's when you don't actually have a clue. go play against Irelia and you'll see what this thread is about.
I have played top Irelia, have gone against Irelia with a variety of champs, have jungled Irelia (for teh lulz) and have ganked Irelia solo top. I am not postulating what I think, rather I am posting what I know. People think champs are OP because they don't know counters, so here, you have one now. Lategame, she is and will always be a beast, but most solo tops share this characteristic, so this isn't anything new.

T3cK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2011

Irelia is one of my main champs that I play, and I play her a lot differently than most people. Personally, I believe that she thrives in 2v1, 3v1 and (properly built and played) even 4v1 situations. Her W has much more heal than a lot of people think it does, and just one point in it at level 3 (how I do it) is enough to sustain her up until she gets her ult. If she needs huge heals it's not hard to pop it and cut down a minion wave because 40 seconds later it's back. Irelia isn't top just to farm. Against another solo top or a duo lane a few kills early game will basically set her build up through endgame. The one thing that you can do is play a good solid ranged champion. Teemo is the bane of my existence in 3's and 5's alike because he outranges me, and by the time I'm in close enough I'm blinded and can't do jack. So, to answer your questions:

1) Let her push. Let her get past the river and then she'll realize she's made a mistake and pull back to avoid getting ganked. Try setting up your jungler to constantly gank because it will force her to use her moves more often and due to the longer early-game cooldowns she becomes a lot worse at farming.

2) Play a ranged champ with a good harass and some CC.

3) GP/Rammus duo lane, Teemo, Alistar, Olaf, Garen, Irelia, Jarvan

RLite

11-14-2011

Y so serious? Everyone knows mad singed > irelia

RLite

11-14-2011

Just keep in mind when you face irelia, deny her as much as you can before she hits 7, because thats when she deals alot of damage due to her W.

(Over 80 ranked games of irelia)

Ketamine Panda

11-14-2011

i play irelia alot, and it really depends on how she is planning on building. irelia with dorans amd regen runes going for max hiten first is almost impossible to get out of lane. couple that with teleport and stopping her with out an extremly lucky gank (or if they are just horrible) is next to impossible. the best option you have is really going a hard ad harrass with some sustain, and hope irelia top goes cloth 5 pots, or possibly an ap carry with high mobility, as some irelia will go with boots first, although with casters its easy to get a chalice early, some mr and the ability to just stay back and q everything and run out of spell range.

MeanBean

11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
Irelia does NOT have lifesteal.
Lol, yes she does. Her W gives a flat amount of health per hit, kinda like the WW passive. Reason why irelia is such a good solo top is her sustain.
Quote:
If Irelia player wants to have maximum sustain, the player will have to max W first.
Every single irelia worth his/her salt maxes W. Both for damage AND sustain.

Quote:
That means either 2 levels of Q/1lvl of E or 2levels of E and one level of Q.
That makes no sense. Irelias maxes W, which leaves 1 point in Q, 1 point in E and 3 in W at level 5.
Quote:
That means she has less burst damage than Tiger udyr, olaf(max E first), and others.
Out burst Irelia and you can win the lane.
Most champions cant outburst irelia due to the massive unmitigated damage from W. Much less outsustain her.
Quote:
Watch Dyrus' video of Olaf vs. Irelia solotop.
Dyrus would probably do just as well playing as irelia against an Olaf. 99% of players arent as good as him, hes not a really good benchmark for the average player.

Its just very obvious that you've never played as irelia and your advice is kinda void

Tokinatoor

11-15-2011

Nasus can counter her if you get rush philo stone, he has way more regen than her.

Yeah his W is weak sauce against her in a team fight but he can chew her up and spit her out if they are 1 on 1.

Strongshocker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2011

I've found that Nasus and Lanewick are both good counters to her. Nasus just farms right along with her but will scale better. WW can pick at her with his Q and some auto attacks and once WW hits 6 it is like free ganks on the top lane. Haven't tried Lanewick with new masteries, but I used to run flash/ignite with mana regen blues and yellows, hp quints, magic pen reds. Doran's ring first (and second, times), then sorc boots. built tank after that. It always seemed to work pretty well.

ComradeHX

11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanBean View Post
Lol, yes she does. Her W gives a flat amount of health per hit, kinda like the WW passive. Reason why irelia is such a good solo top is her sustain.

Every single irelia worth his/her salt maxes W. Both for damage AND sustain.

That makes no sense. Irelias maxes W, which leaves 1 point in Q, 1 point in E and 3 in W at level 5.

Most champions cant outburst irelia due to the massive unmitigated damage from W. Much less outsustain her.

Dyrus would probably do just as well playing as irelia against an Olaf. 99% of players arent as good as him, hes not a really good benchmark for the average player.

Its just very obvious that you've never played as irelia and your advice is kinda void
Lol no that is not called lifesteal since you even get hp on hitting towers.

Sometimes you just do not need to repeat something I posted.

W does not give a lot of burst damage(only the on-hit effect on Q); so Irelia can get lv2 of either E or Q for it before lv6(otherwise irelia gets s**t on when trading hits because everyone else can just back off and you cannot hit with W or get owned by minions). And if you are trying to heal off of minions; you are pushing the lane and risk a jungler gank(exactly what happened in the video because irelia just pushed too much trying to heal off the damage and ended up pushed to the tower).

Dyrus was playing Olaf against people in similar ELO in ranked; and there was NOTHING the Irelia player could do(because Olaf can just run in, E once, and run back out starting at lv1; Irelia cannot outburst Olaf and Olaf gets more powerful when he gets low on HP). It is all very do-able with movespeed quints on Olaf + mastery for almost 400 movespeed.

It is just very obvious that YOU have not played Irelia much if you do not even realize the difference between lifesteal(scales with how much damage you do) and on-hit regen(only scale with your attackspeed).

You seemed to think that Irelia's W can get her unstoppable sustain; unfortunately that is not very possible when olaf spams E every time Irelia goes in to last hit or even get close to the minions(watch that video and you will see what I mean). Irelia also cannot just press W and go autoattack olaf because olaf still out-dps Irelia without items and his Q can be spammed much more frequently(plus it is a slow) while Olaf's E gets better exponentially...

Even if no one killed the other at lv9 and no one bought anything except what they came out of fountain with; Irelia maxed W and Olaf maxed E; Olaf is still going to win because Olaf can just backoff after E(since Irelia's stun is only 1s, she can get at most 3 procs of W if Q is used) and that would leave Irelia with about 2/3 of her hp; two more exchanges(the next one Olaf will be superior since Irelia's E and Q both have higher cooldown than Olaf's maxed E) and Irelia is either going back to fountain or DEAD. Not sure about Renekton; but I think the only champion Irelia can really s**t on, solotop, without problem is Chogath.

I have Irelia + skin and have played Irelia regularly until I saw Dyrus' video and realized that Irelia is not that strong solotop(sustain is strong if you actually have the chance to do autoattacks; but not much sustain when enemy easily out-burst and zones you out).

Olaf also contributes much more in teamfight since he can be built much more tanky than Irelia(with warmogs + wriggles) and still do TONS of damage without being CCed(not even pushback can affect Olaf ulti and his ulti just got even better by making him immune even to blind).

lichking2010

11-17-2011

I'd like to say thank you to everyone for sharing your opinions. I will try your suggestions in-game. In any case, it seems i need to buy some new champions too. Again, thank you everyone, much appreciated